Project Steampunk

If you wind up going through the 05+ front axle, you can use my knuckle seal tool if you need to. Makes life much easier. I also have the part numbers for every seal, ball joint, tie rod end, etc.

It's just good timing on your part. As you know, I happen to be wrapping up the 06 axle I got to go under the old Dmax....so it's all fresh in my mind.

Got your sd60 yet?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Here was my conundrum with the throwout bearing. Centerforce n1716 ended up being the same exact part as the n3068 Napa skf. Every other parts store I went in said they couldn't cross reference a n1716. :shaking:
I don't always buy from stone and metal stores, but when the guy working the counter actually knows his stuff and is willing to open up boxes for comparison, it makes it all worth it.
View attachment 255342

And if this isnt motivation enough to hurry the hell up, I don't know what is. Steampunk phase II is already in the parts collecting mode. 05+ super 60 and coilovers front, just so there's no surprises. ;)
View attachment 255344
I know the differences between 99-04 & 05+ but why are you thinking of swapping vs putting upgraded shafts in the current one?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

For what it costs to buy shafts and redrilled unit bearings i could buy a complete 05+. A standard anyways. Also if I can get lucky enough to find one with factory 4.88, that would be a bonus since that's ultimately what axle gear I'd run.
And then there's the knuckle strength upgrade which would be practically free at that point.
However.... I'm undermining myself for no reason.
I have no idea how well or not this lead spring design will work. I put a ton of thought into it initially carved out as my idea of the perfect front leaf spring design for a moderately low and very stable, streetable setup. I went on purely a hunch. I could have sitting here as it sits the best performing leaf design I've ever had and I won't know until I wheel it. If it does as good as I hope, I'll keep the current 60.
Gotcha. I was thinking you were staying 8x170.

The joints, knuckles, & bearings are bigger on the 05+ axle but from what I've seen the shafts are the same, and still the weak link.

If you are planning to swap axles before doing any upgrades to your current one, I'd agree. Not sure it's worth putting money into this axle to repeat with another, esp with the aftermarket support of the older version.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You going for a Super 60 from a 450/550 truck or a regular 60 from a 250/350?

You said something about redrilling unit bearings...I have a fixture for that for the 05+ hubs :D

You going for a Super 60 from a 450/550 truck or a regular 60 from a 250/350?
I can get any measurements you may need.

Currently in my parking lot, 08 f450 4x4 drw, 05 f250 4x4 srw, and a 2000 f450 2x4 drw (beam axle) .

The regular SD 60s are huge, but the Super 60s are just massive. They also have 1550 u joints instead of 1480s, if I'm not mistaken.

Make sure you let me know when you are in Camden I'd love to come hear the story. Give me a shout if you need any help or what ever. Love the letters.

I love that hammered paint, but it takes forever to dry and harden up!

Bleh...Natturday saints...

Now it's coming together. The VR10 is one sexy winch, aside from the fact that they mispelled "Warren". Must be made in China or something.
View attachment 256031

Mounted a 20" in the front that I've piggybacked into the high beam wiring. I'll see how it looks when lit and I'm already anticipating needing a relay. The rear of the jeep will get a 12" to act as a toggled reverse light. I plan on using a grounded trip sensor if the NP435 is like the SM465s are and I can swap this over to it. I can't remember what the Ford sensor looks like off the top of my head.
View attachment 256032
I have a 45 day aged porterhouse to cook on the grill tonight and company coming over if weather permits.
I don't typically run relays on leds, they draw so little. Especially since I use heavier switches than they provide. But if I we're running them through factory wiring, I would do the relay mod to the factory headlights as well to have them burn a little brighter.

Keep up the solid work brother.

View attachment 256082
This Saturday the 21st is when I'll be at the Camden Archives and history museum. My mom and stepdad will be giving a speech and then reading some handwritten cival war letters. Welcome all.
Chances are I'll be the only truck in the parking lot with a boat behind me. :lol: XJsavage is easy to identify.

1314 Broad street Camden SC. Starts at 1pm.

Yes, I grew up in Camden, SC's oldest inland city, is a nice place with lots of history, old buildings, parks, and big trees!

Also, Great, interesting build.

Finished up the bumpstops completely. Used stock Yj bumps that I had lying around. Still seem to be in good shape. Other than that, a lot of tightening bolts and filling fluids. The next update should be when the Boggers go on, or in typical warlock fashion, the entire process of how and why I did it, throw in some outdoor pictures, and philosophy, with about half a page of wierd stuff and near-naked women. Tally ho.
View attachment 256221
View attachment 256222
[emoji106]

Yea it's red. Been there seen it. I just want to know when and where the inaugural run will be. My bet is Gulches! ;)

That places was cool to say the least.... good to see you old friend.

Back