Random pic thread.

Looks like ash to me
You might be onto it. I just rode through WMA area to refresh my memory. Between white oak, red oak, ash, Birch and Box Elder, I'd say ash is the closest match.

After a bit more research, I think it may be a black walnut. Interested to hear if there are any other Botanists out there :).

My hope was that it was a white oak, but all signs are pointing to that it is not. Still curious as to what it is.

After a bit more research, I think it may be a black walnut. Interested to hear if there are any other Botanists out there :).

My hope was that it was a white oak, but all signs are pointing to that it is not. Still curious as to what it is.
Take a picture of a twig and I can don my best. It could be walnut. Usually, that's an easy one to ID because of all the walnuts laying around.

The buds on a walnut look like a monkey face and the pith of the twig is chambered.

Morrow Mtn State Park this weekend. Little smoky in parts due to a controlled burn on Friday, but the campground wasn’t bad. Nice sunrise at the top Saturday morning. Went up there because several friends did the Fellowship of the Idiot Run, 20 miles from Albemarle to the top of Morrow Mtn and back.
9E64C7A5-0F6E-4C5E-AF96-58C2F43CB2EB.jpeg
E4947270-433B-468D-A221-1FCD7940850F.jpeg

Tree identification- can anyone tell by the bark? Red oak, white oak, neither? I can’t get back out to it for a while to check leaves. Just have the shot of the bark.

View attachment 366971
Looks like Hickory or Walnut to me. Definitely not an oak.

The custom machining on the carrier is also impressive.

What's the back story?
Outer pinion bearing failed. Welded itself to the pinion. All I am doing is replacing the gears and bearings. The carrier has no damage aside from the surface damage you can see.

Back