Random pic thread.

I have a few sections of leftover "pressure treated" 8x8's from the posts on our deck, and most of them have deteriorated about 30-40% through on whichever side was laying on the ground, and they are from 2019. The current generation of pressure treating is going to be causing a LOT of problems in the coming years. I'm really not sure what to do about the deck posts, as there is no easy way to replace them, but they are good, for now.

Regarding pole barn posts and the like rotting in the ground. I read somewhere that one idea is to drill an angled hole in the 6x6 a bit above the ground level and with a funnel or tubing pour used motor oil in now and then for the post to absorb and permeate the post. Probably kill everything for a 100 miles and cause the icebergs to melt faster in the Caribbean but maybe will save the barn? I built mine a few years ago for farm use with CCA treated, so far so good other than the extra finger that is now growing on my left hand and funny tasting well water.

So I was going to put this in the Things That Suck Ass thread, and then I thought about it and figured maybe the Things That Don’t Suck Ass thread would be better, and then, since I was confused I decided to just put it in the Random Pic thread. Anyway, on my way to THE Get Together I was running down 485 at about 80 miles an hour in the left lane when all of a sudden I heard a BOOM and the truck revved up real hard and I thought the transmission had let go! I started to get over in the emergency lane, but assessing the situation, I still had power and drive, but there was a shit ton of noise and smoke behind the truck and the trailer wasn’t sitting right. Everyone behind me observed the same and had slowed down, so I was able to cross all 3 lanes and get off on the right. Everything felt generally controlled and smooth, but the smoke and noise were increasing. Pull to a stop, hit the flashers and hop out.
View attachment 407981

Turns out it was my trailer jumping off the ball because I had not properly latched it when I left the house. :shaking:

This white line is freshly scraped concrete.
View attachment 407985
It was at least 1/4 mile from start to finish. Damn thing got so hot that the jackfoot was on fire and was ground all the way through.
View attachment 407982View attachment 407983

Of course when I tried to jack it up, it came up like 2” short, but I was able to rest the coupler on the ledge at the back of the truck, and stick some custom shims under the jack to get it back on. View attachment 407984

As sucky as this was, it was only about a 10 minute trip delay and no damage other than the obvious jack foot. Could have been SOOOO much worse.
If you could remember, I bet it happened as you crossed one of the multiple Uneven overpass bridges! Bridge approach, Bam as you bounce up. Leave bridge, Ugg, elevator drop! :mad:

Took me a couple minutes to figure out the Problem! Bucket man gonna need a new Bolt!
That’s was the first “good” snow of the year up there. Last year someone clipped it clean off and it was hanging by the wires and cross brace. Year before was the same scenario. That pole has been replaced more times than I can remember throughout the years of growing up there and after I’ve been gone. What you can’t necessarily see is the edge off the road is about 6-7ft down to the field from the road surface and immediately beyond the pole is a driveway that goes perpendicular to the roadway down the edge of the yard to my dads barn. 90% of the ones who clipped it were down in the field and “dukes of hazarded” it. Landing probably 75-100ft past the pole (north to south bound). Yes, it’s a straight road!!!

No fatalities yet…..

My cousin just got an excavator. So he built a ramp so he can get in it lol. We just got everything setup, and it actually works haha. He'll be on that thing all night probably.

View attachment 408155View attachment 408156
That's cool! But on a TV show, I saw a huge John Deere tractor where the owner used a wheel chair. He created a electric lift that was attached to the tractor, raised him up to the floor of the enclosed cab. The lift folded up [I forgot how] so it wasn't in the way of the tractor.

From work today> What the inside of a Port-a-Patty, looks like after you drop a tree on it.
Apparently it was a small Pine tree, & maybe towards the top end. Not Severely crushed, & the door still works. The impact seems to have dislodged the toilet seat. Glad I didn't need to "sit down", but I did give the urinal a couple test!
bar bay GIF

Attachments

• 20231205_133137.jpg
    20231205_133137.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 62
Regarding pole barn posts and the like rotting in the ground. I read somewhere that one idea is to drill an angled hole in the 6x6 a bit above the ground level and with a funnel or tubing pour used motor oil in now and then for the post to absorb and permeate the post. Probably kill everything for a 100 miles and cause the icebergs to melt faster in the Caribbean but maybe will save the barn? I built mine a few years ago for farm use with CCA treated, so far so good other than the extra finger that is now growing on my left hand and funny tasting well water.
My grandfather used barrels that had been welded together and laid down to make a tank to soak fence post in his "special brew".IIRC it was creosote,diesel fuel and burnt oil.He had post that had been in the ground 30 years.

If you could remember, I bet it happened as you crossed one of the multiple Uneven overpass bridges! Bridge approach, Bam as you bounce up. Leave bridge, Ugg, elevator drop! :mad:
Yeah, there are some seriously bad transitions on 485 that couldn't possibly meet design criteria. The worst ones were 27 and Oakdale, but they've since fixed Oakdale, and HALF of 27 :rolleyes: The ones at 74 on the west side are crap too.

This actually happened right before the Northlake/Harris Blvd exit
1701873673563.png

I don't specifically recall if it was coming onto the bridge or going off (it's a fairly short bridge), but judging by the way the exit transition looks and the skidmarks from vehicles getting light there, I'm guessing it was the jump off the bridge.
1701873876030.png

That’s awesome! I just hope he don’t put mayo on his bbq lol 😂
Do you put coleslaw on your bbq? If so, its not mayo on it

But, Im not a spoon liker, so I dont put straight mayo on a bbq sandwhich

How the heck did that break right there?
Buddy of mine was ripping out some concrete with his machine a few years back and we all heard a super loud POP! He stopped and we all looked trying to figure out what it was. He decided maybe it was a piece of rebar letting go in the slab he was yanking on. He went to move the boom and when he curled the arm in, the broken half of a shaft, just like pictured above, popped out. His broke while inside the body of the cylinder. It was wild. To this day, no one has a definitive explanation how it happened. His guess is that he must have dinged the shaft on something and it created a weak spot. He's rough on equipment so that idea checked out for me.

Back