Random pic thread.

Did a mod on the brush cutter for my mini-ex today. Mine just has the normal backend, with nothing to complement the thumb or scrape dirt and brush around.
IMG_4087.jpeg

They make a heavy duty version with a grubbing edge and much beefier construction, but it weighs 250lbs more and cost $2500 more. Ignoring the excessively higher cost, 700lbs vs 450lbs makes a huge difference in stability when the arm is fully extended, and I wanted to keep it as light as possible. When I bought mine, I got em to throw in this piece of 3/4” Ar400 plate so I could build it how I wanted.
IMG_4088.jpeg

First step was to cut some slots in the plate so it would sit right and I’d have a nice point to weld into the existing framework.
IMG_4094.jpeg

IMG_4104.jpeg

IMG_4105.jpeg

Then I could start dialing in the position. It needs to line up with the thumb and also not hang below the bottom edge.
IMG_4107.jpeg

Next step was to grind a whole bunch of steel off the edge. Ugh. Definitely the worst part of the job.
IMG_4114.jpeg

Then I had to go hi-tech to make some gussets.
IMG_4110.jpeg

Week before last, I brought home some scrap 4x4” steel tubing that some contractors at work were gonna throw in the dumpster. Lo and behold, the ends that I needed to cut off anyway were damn near a perfect match.
IMG_4111.jpeg

The piece that was still boxed was perfect for the center to provide solid backing behind the thumb.
IMG_4115.jpeg

Got it all laid out, then tacked and welded the gussets.
IMG_4118.jpeg

Then burned it all in.
IMG_4119.jpeg

Shot some paint on it and called it done.
IMG_4123.jpeg

Worked out perfect and only added about 50-60lbs.
IMG_4127.jpeg

IMG_4135.jpeg

Last edited:
We drove there (after grabbing some fattening goodies at Stick Boy Bakery) and couldn't believe how packed Tweetsie was!
We got there less than an hour after it opened and the parking lot was almost full already. This past weekend and next weekend is their annual Day out with Thomas. Honestly inside it didn’t feel that crowded though. It’s a fun little place for the kids, but it’s like $60 for admission now.

IMG_0049.jpeg

I like snakes......not scared of these guys but not real welcome to the shop.
IMG_20240610_225034325.jpg
IMG_20240610_225042219.jpg

What kind is it?

We got there less than an hour after it opened and the parking lot was almost full already. This past weekend and next weekend is their annual Day out with Thomas. Honestly inside it didn’t feel that crowded though. It’s a fun little place for the kids, but it’s like $60 for admission now.

View attachment 419141

We had season passes for 8+ years and went all the time. Really enjoyed it. My kids have out grown it now but it was great when they were small.

I like snakes......not scared of these guys but not real welcome to the shop.
View attachment 419208View attachment 419209

What kind is it?

Time for a new shop.

Funny story... when I first started in our fab shop there was a big azz wolf spider one morning in my bay. I lit the torch and tried to fry it. Next thing I know, there's baby spiders everywhere and I'm swinging the torch like a mad man trying to fry them by the dozens!

We had season passes for 8+ years and went all the time. Really enjoyed it. My kids have out grown it now but it was great when they were small.
This was our 4th year going. In the last couple years they've added 3 new rides on the hill above the old cars, and have the pad poured now for a 4th one.

Wish I had bought this weed eater a long time ago…. Out performs my echo and is much more pleasant to operate…. As bad as it feels to admit I got a battery powered yard tool lol 😂 View attachment 419072
I've had a sucky Craftsman i bought at Walmart 9 years ago that refuses to die... and I refuse to buy another until it does.

I swear its crafted for people 5' or shorter. I look like a hunch back using it.

One day... one day ill get a real one.. but it won't be some gay electric Tesla version. It'll suck gas and spew fumes like it should. 😉

I've had a sucky Craftsman i bought at Walmart 9 years ago that refuses to die... and I refuse to buy another until it does.

I swear its crafted for people 5' or shorter. I look like a hunch back using it.

One day... one day ill get a real one.. but it won't be some gay electric Tesla version. It'll suck gas and spew fumes like it should. 😉
fs240.jpeg

Tim Allen GIF

Back