Random pic thread.

I've had a sucky Craftsman i bought at Walmart 9 years ago that refuses to die... and I refuse to buy another until it does.

I swear its crafted for people 5' or shorter. I look like a hunch back using it.

One day... one day ill get a real one.. but it won't be some gay electric Tesla version. It'll suck gas and spew fumes like it should. 😉
Intersting choice of words since Rudolph Diesel was a noted homosexual and Nikola Tesla had some pretty toxic masuclinity views of women...

Intersting choice of words since Rudolph Diesel was a noted homosexual and Nikola Tesla had some pretty toxic masuclinity views of women...
su4vjz0yu54d1.jpg

Some freehand torch fun in Durham today. Only 28 pieces of 1"thick angle.

20240612_084150.jpg

20240612_091412.jpg

Last edited:
Some freehand torch fun in Durham today. Only 28 pieces of 1"thick angle.

View attachment 419239
Looks like galvanized or coated too....fun chasing the disappearing line.
I have found making a small cut with a cut off wheel makes is easier to follow. For some reason the cut wanders less on the kerf as well. Helps make a real tidy line.

Looks like galvanized or coated too....fun chasing the disappearing line.
I have found making a small cut with a cut off wheel makes is easier to follow. For some reason the cut wonders less on the kerf as well. Helps make a real tidy line.
Yea galvanized stuff is always a pain. Already downed my dose of milk lol. As long as I'm cutting straight lines, I can roll on once it's started.

Yea galvanized stuff is always a pain. Already downed my dose of milk lol. As long as I'm cutting straight lines, I can roll on once it's started.
Us milk intolerant just get up wind and suffer😭

I need some torch lessons with my new to me used torch.

7 psi on the acetylene....with the right tip will cut 15 inch billets!
7 fuel, 30 oxy. Neutral flame. Steady hand. Preheat to oxidizing temp....ie cherry red at the pierce point. Squeeze oxy lever move steady into the cut. Use a slight angle pointing to the cut (feed the chemical reaction) don't drag.
Remember it is chemistry not melting metal.

Neutral flame is quiet, soft, and Carolina blue. That's the hottest and not oxidizing. Keep those feathers right above the cut surface and keep the tip clean.

7 fuel, 30 oxy. Neutral flame. Steady hand. Preheat to oxidizing temp....ie cherry red at the pierce point. Squeeze oxy lever move steady into the cut. Use a slight angle pointing to the cut (feed the chemical reaction) don't drag.

Neutral flame is quiet, soft, and Carolina blue. That's the hottest and not oxidizing. Keep those feathers right above the cut surface and keep the tip clean.
I read this 3 states away from my tool and feel dumb. I've watched a couple your tubes and I guess I need to look at the setting on the tanks. I can't seem to get the flame like they do on the tubes. It also pops off some times. Other times it bellows black smoke.

I read those instructions to the voice of Robert Stack from the movie Airplane :rockon:

Capture.JPG

I read this 3 states away from my tool and feel dumb. I've watched a couple your tubes and I guess I need to look at the setting on the tanks. I can't seem to get the flame like they do on the tubes. It also pops off some times. Other times it bellows black smoke.
Smoke, cracks and pops, erratic shut down is all fuel mix related. It's like a carburetor or really more like a oil furnace jet.
Black smoke to much fuel. Cracks and pops to little fuel for the tip size or dirty tips. A self adjusting flame look at the regulators.

If and when you ever have a regulator that want hold flow pressure or chatters replace immediately and take out of service. Flash back arrestors are mandatory.

A fella was killed by a regulator tee handle in Charlotte NC. The little flying tee hit him with a the force of a 30/06 projectile in the chest. Using a rosebud followed by a torch and not backing settings out between the two is a recipe to set up disaster. Rose buds flow much more volume. Your pressure setting are always adjusted flowing😉😉😉😉.....first mistake folks make over safety concerns is setting pressure static.😉😉😉😉

Smoke, cracks and pops, erratic shut down is all fuel mix related. It's like a carburetor or really more like a oil furnace jet.
Black smoke to much fuel. Cracks and pops to little fuel for the tip size or dirty tips. A self adjusting flame look at the regulators.

If and when you ever have a regulator that want hold flow pressure or chatters replace immediately and take out of service. Flash back arrestors are mandatory.

A fella was killed by a regulator tee handle in Charlotte NC. The little flying tee hit him with a the force of a 30/06 projectile in the chest. Using a rosebud followed by a torch and not backing settings out between the two is a recipe to set up disaster. Rose buds flow much more volume. Your pressure setting are always adjusted flowing😉😉😉😉.....first mistake folks make over safety concerns is setting pressure static.😉😉😉😉
chatters? Thanks for the info. Not sure I understand all of it but when I get back from Harlan I'll have to see if someone that knows more can come look at it and offer advise.

Only thing I'd add to what's been said is that it doesn't take much on the oxygen lever. Smashing it wide wide open off the rip is a good way to get a face full of slag. Also, cutting speed really plays into how your cut looks. Too fast and you'll outrun your cut and have to restart. Too slow and you'll melt the edges and have a messy cut.

Back