Random pic thread.

ASME insures it's good when you GET it....does NFPA have a guideline for maintaining ladders?
Have any of you that's done these tests ever witnessed a ladder that was at the END of it's lifecycle? What was the determining factor? Deflection? Failure to retain memory?

I think what you're looking for is NFPA 1932, which outlines mounting, storage, use, inspection and maintenance, and testing of ground ladders. If you want to view the current standard you need to create an account, or you could look at the 2004 standard.

Skimming through it, it looks like the NFPA's method is to load it with 350lbs for one minute, unload and measure from the bottom of the center of the ladder to the floor. It's then loaded with 500lbs for 5 minutes, then unloaded and allowed to rest for another 5. Another measurement is taken at the center, and depending on the length, they have a maximum deflection allowed. In the case of a 35 foot ladder, they allow up to an inch and a half of difference in the measurement.

If you're interested in maintenance, they have a section on that as well, NFPA is pretty detailed.

If you want to view the current standard you need to create an account.

Got one...thanks! I'll look there :rockon:

(So @McCracken won't get any more sand in his bergina I'll add a pic)
crayon.jpg

I think what you're looking for is NFPA 1932, which outlines mounting, storage, use, inspection and maintenance, and testing of ground ladders. If you want to view the current standard you need to create an account, or you could look at the 2004 standard.

Skimming through it, it looks like the NFPA's method is to load it with 350lbs for one minute, unload and measure from the bottom of the center of the ladder to the floor. It's then loaded with 500lbs for 5 minutes, then unloaded and allowed to rest for another 5. Another measurement is taken at the center, and depending on the length, they have a maximum deflection allowed. In the case of a 35 foot ladder, they allow up to an inch and a half of difference in the measurement.

If you're interested in maintenance, they have a section on that as well, NFPA is pretty detailed.

I didn't read the standard, but from what you're saying it sounds like the test is to see if it is past the yield point. If that's the case, when loaded it would not return to the same point when unloaded. It would have been loaded past the yield point in service for that to happen, else a ladder rated for the test load wouldn't/shouldn't yield during the test.
Same with a fatigue failure/crack, which would reduce the cross section and cause the remaining metal to yield under load, or with overheating too I would think.
The 5 minutes probably is to equalize and for any creep to settle out.

I know nothing about ladders or fire equip, but it makes complete sense from a materials engineering point of view.

these random picture threads are great for random pictures.

Send it!.jpg
Jody Treadyway has a penis on his jeeptruck?
<doubleclick to enlarge quoted pic>

Last edited:
Someone probably has a check engine light right now. Found it at the QT at 601 and 49 sitting on top of the pump.
75d4280686d244f38d63921f390c903b.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

And a lot of departments suffer from very low volunteer rates............you can thank insurance and politics.

Insurance and politics play a part indirectly, but the biggest reason is time. We have a fair amount of people who are interested in joining, but when they see the time commitment they change their mind. 400 hours (240 fire, 160 EMT) of training just to be a fire fighter, then a MINIMUM of 56 hours (36 fire, 20 EMT) every year after that, then most departments either require you to pull a certain amount of time on duty at the station or respond to a certain amount of calls (10% of total calls for my volunteer dept.) And that is just the minimum. I typically put in more than 120 hours training and closer to 35% of calls as a volunteer.

Duane

Insurance and politics play a part indirectly, but the biggest reason is time. We have a fair amount of people who are interested in joining, but when they see the time commitment they change their mind. 400 hours (240 fire, 160 EMT) of training just to be a fire fighter, then a MINIMUM of 56 hours (36 fire, 20 EMT) every year after that, then most departments either require you to pull a certain amount of time on duty at the station or respond to a certain amount of calls (10% of total calls for my volunteer dept.) And that is just the minimum. I typically put in more than 120 hours training and closer to 35% of calls as a volunteer.

Duane
But you get to do cool shit like this!

Back