Random pic thread.

That would be very cool. They are still in the area, I can hear it, but nothing shows on this flight tracker. Too low maybe?

Flightradar doesn't show anything under 1000' AGL. Premium version does, I think.

No path to ground, so you should be fine.

Until the saw hooks on the line and the safety release mechanism fails and you crash, creating a path to ground, which is ok, because the helicopter creates a Faraday cage, except it can't handle the amps and catches on fire and your seatbelt is stuck and you had to leave your pocketknife with the TSA and you die in a fiery inferno.

I didn't consider the lack of ground path, but that brings up some memories. Back when I used to design bucket trucks, we had a customer take delivery of a brand new 70 ft unit. We were doing the hand-off inspection and he flew the boom right into a set of power lines. Lightning bolts from the truck axles to the ground. Scared the hell out of everyone. Needless to say, the dude did not drive away with the truck that day.

KlutzySimplisticAegeancat-size_restricted.gif

They're anal beads
Before I heard it was the Saw, I just thought Big Bird, had a lot of Balls!

No path to ground, so you should be fine.

You can still get shocked without a direct path to ground...air breaks down at 6kV/in at sea level and goes up with altitude. That's why vehicles can take lightning strikes and you'll get arcs from the frame, suspension, axles and/or wheels to ground through the air just like @Andy J. said.

I didn't consider the lack of ground path, but that brings up some memories. Back when I used to design bucket trucks, we had a customer take delivery of a brand new 70 ft unit. We were doing the hand-off inspection and he flew the boom right into a set of power lines. Lightning bolts from the truck axles to the ground. Scared the hell out of everyone. Needless to say, the dude did not drive away with the truck that day.

Company I use to work for did testing on helicopters like that and ones used for working on transmission lines in remote locations. You can feel the effect by standing under a transmission line and hold an umbrella as high as you can and touch the shaft (giggity) even while standing on an insulated mat. No direct path to ground, but it'll still shock you if the electric field is high enough. Guys working out of the helicopter wear Faraday suits themselves & bond their suits & helicopter to the line so they don't get shocked. Pics of testing below were without bonding and on an insulated platform to keep the helicopter fixed. Wish I had video of the tests done with the blades moving...cool blue lightning strikes off each blade!

upload_2020-5-6_21-38-27.jpeg
upload_2020-5-6_21-38-17.jpeg

Working for the phone company we are always dealing with power induction on our lines from electrical lines. Needless to say you better be paying attention cause it will light your ass up if you aren’t careful.

You can still get shocked without a direct path to ground...air breaks down at 6kV/in at sea level and goes up with altitude. That's why vehicles can take lightning strikes and you'll get arcs from the frame, suspension, axles and/or wheels to ground through the air just like @Andy J. said.

Company I use to work for did testing on helicopters like that and ones used for working on transmission lines in remote locations. You can feel the effect by standing under a transmission line and hold an umbrella as high as you can and touch the shaft (giggity) even while standing on an insulated mat. No direct path to ground, but it'll still shock you if the electric field is high enough. Guys working out of the helicopter wear Faraday suits themselves & bond their suits & helicopter to the line so they don't get shocked. Pics of testing below were without bonding and on an insulated platform to keep the helicopter fixed. Wish I had video of the tests done with the blades moving...cool blue lightning strikes off each blade!

View attachment 317465 View attachment 317464
So the key here though is that it is still arcing across 2 lines to complete the loop. If you just get close to, or touch 1 then nothing happens, there is no potential difference to drive electricity flow.

So the key here though is that it is still arcing across 2 lines to complete the loop. If you just get close to, or touch 1 then nothing happens, there is no potential difference to drive electricity flow.
Correct, but there is a potential difference from line to ground too. Arcs would appear if you got between a single line and ground and increased the electric field above the 6kV/in threshold.

Well decide not to just use a piece of paper for my part in collage thing.
1385d956e6943ea931e034a868c63d5d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Grape flavored....raisins. [emoji848] they taste like candy. On another note, the cotton candy grapes are delicious! (Sorry, no pic of those, but I have found them at Ingles)
5e4e1e87a081173d0ce07f1e36a44136.jpg

Grape flavored....raisins. [emoji848] they taste like candy. On another note, the cotton candy grapes are delicious! (Sorry, no pic of those, but I have found them at Ingles)
5e4e1e87a081173d0ce07f1e36a44136.jpg

If you notice with the Cotton Candy grapes, they typically make certain there is very little stem and what not in the bag, comparatively. They dont want anyone trying to grow their own.

So that message was at 10:51Am and you posted about it at ~4:30pm....y'all must have had fun together.

When doing a favor for a friend. And I quote, "the sewer line goes out the side yard".
d1b466380068ba176b0c8ddccb7af61c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back