Random Thoughts.....

I reached a peak of frustration with the rioting and looting last Friday night. My wife suggested that I stop reading the news, so that is what I am doing. I am going on full black out from all news other than financial news.

Chicago kills more minorities each year then the KKK ever did in it's entirety.
I'm sure that is not accurate. I understand the sentiment of what you are saying, it really bugs me how Black Lives Matter (only if they are killed by whites). But less than 1000 murders in any year, versus decades of reported and unreported murders nationwide by a large group?

Its not everyday a man doubles down on his error and provides a link to prove his point that actually dis-proves it.
Kudos.

Eh?

This is what I noticed: "We simply don’t have good statistics on how many African Americans the Ku Klux Klan murdered in the 1860s and 1870s when the 'first' Klan was active," Pfeifer told PunditFact. "Evidence suggests, though, that the Reconstruction Klan murdered hundreds and perhaps several thousand blacks."

From what I'm seeing, 510 people total were killed in Chicago in 2019.

There's no definitive number of KKK deaths, but it would appear they killed more than Chicago. Which would mean Matt is correct and I'm wrong.

I reached a peak of frustration with the rioting and looting last Friday night. My wife suggested that I stop reading the news, so that is what I am doing. I am going on full black out from all news other than financial news.

I prescribed to "ignorance is bliss" pretty quickly after the quarantine started. I found that i was screaming at the idiots on the Evening Propaganda Report.

I found that i was screaming at the idiots on the Evening Propaganda Report.

Nothing we watch is live. It's all DVR'd. Because I was screaming at the political propaganda ads too. But we stopped watching any form of news, entertainments news, or anything of the sorts back in march. Been much happier too

Its not everyday a man doubles down on his error and provides a link to prove his point that actually dis-proves it.
Kudos.
@Ron, I know its hard to imagine because this is the internet, but I believe @Atla is being serious, not sarcastic.
I know such candor and humility is rare and hard to process in todays age, but I appreciate it. Now can we go back to arguing?

The news is only going to get worse the closer we get to the election too.

My guess is that a minimum of 99.5% of the population has already decided who they are going to vote for, so we have to listen to the politicians trash talk each other while spending millions of dollars to try and sway that 0.5% or less of people left.

Eh?

This is what I noticed: "We simply don’t have good statistics on how many African Americans the Ku Klux Klan murdered in the 1860s and 1870s when the 'first' Klan was active," Pfeifer told PunditFact. "Evidence suggests, though, that the Reconstruction Klan murdered hundreds and perhaps several thousand blacks."

There's no definitive number of KKK deaths, but it would appear they killed more than Chicago. Which would mean Matt is correct and I'm wrong.
... and that Allan West was just making shit up...

... and that Allan West was just making shit up...
Actually no. Even the politifact article said he was within a few hundred of correct (3500 vs 3000), and ranked it as "half true". But the important distinction is that he was referring to black-on-black in ALL of the US, not just chicago.

Actually no. Even the politifact article said he was within a few hundred of correct (3500 vs 3000), and ranked it as "half true". But the important distinction is that he was referring to black-on-black in ALL of the US, not just chicago.
I don't know who's drawing these conclusions - but an error of 15% is not "close", and dosn't allow you to just jump from one number being bigger to the other one being bigger. Especially when "correct" in this case dosn't mean the amounts are equal, but in fact misbalanced the other way.
In that respect, I'd suspect you'd need a margin of > 5% to break the bar of "about the same" in which case he was wrong by > 20%.

The news is only going to get worse the closer we get to the election too.

My guess is that a minimum of 99.5% of the population has already decided who they are going to vote for, so we have to listen to the politicians trash talk each other while spending millions of dollars to try and sway that 0.5% or less of people left.

Who likely arent going to vote anyway. Only ~50% vote at best. Two old rich white dudes running, the turnout is likely to be down from 2016. Of course the Dems will likely blame it on discrimination and the Coronavirus and Trump not allowing mail-in voting.

Eh?

Hey my apologies.
I read your article post as your words and thought you were saying "See it isnt more per year it is more per 6 months"

Which doesnt appear to have been your intent at all.
My bad.

So I just had an idea.
It's pretty commonly known and accepted that politicians are, um, "incorrect" a lot. Like they say random shit that is at best half-truths, and often blatantly wrong. Our current president is a shining example, but not unique in this aspect.

Another area.. about the only profession I can think of where its OK to be blatantly wrong, is weather prediction.

So I wonder if one could compare daily stats on the accuracy of the predicted weather (for area X) vs the accuracy of Politician Y.
Who would fair better?

Imagine a site, "who was more wrong yesterday - The President, or the weatherman?"

So I just had an idea.
It's pretty commonly known and accepted that politicians are, um, "incorrect" a lot. Like they say random shit that is at best half-truths, and often blatantly wrong. Our current president is a shining example, but not unique in this aspect.

Another area.. about the only profession I can think of where its OK to be blatantly wrong, is weather prediction.

So I wonder if one could compare daily stats on the accuracy of the predicted weather (for area X) vs the accuracy of Politician Y.
Who would fair better?

Imagine a site, "who was more wrong yesterday - The President, or the weatherman?"

Make it an instagram account, I'd follow that.

So I just had an idea.

Who would fair better?

The "news" in general is full of incorrect "facts". Those two would be the easiest as they are both guaranteed to get screen time each day.

Back