Re-doing my Bed Camper and making a toyhauler

i am going to add vertical and diagonal bracing..
the jeep tires will drive dead center on main frame rail.. not out by the edges so not to worried about weight by the edge.. but the bracing i plan to do will still support it

10-4, that makes sense.

Well finally got some more free time..

So I jumped back on the trailer.. trying to get fenders done so Jeep will actually fit :)

I got the very back rear section on each side framed and 1/4" plate welded on top.
100_5895.jpg

100_5898.jpg

do not mind all the stuff on deck.. big flat things turn into tables in my garage

100_5903.jpg

and my son decided to play hide and seek in the camper
100_5901.jpg

Had the day off.. so I got the fenders over the tires done.

hope to finish them tomorrow and get trailer out of garage..

100_5905.jpg

100_5906.jpg

I wish I had just a fraction of your fabrication skills! Looks awesome!

have you thought about making toolboxes for the "dead space" under the sides of the camper?

yup that is the plan.. I need to weld on the fold up steps in front of the fenders then frame out some more up toward front of trailer, then build boxes to put generator, water, tool, spare parts etc..

Sweet. i like this thing. I really like the fact that you have done it yourself for cheap. But we all know time = money, so how many hours of labor would you say you have in this project?

Sweet. i like this thing. I really like the fact that you have done it yourself for cheap. But we all know time = money, so how many hours of labor would you say you have in this project?

well being that it took 5 months to get to this point.. and me working here and there I am gonna estimate probably 80 hrs if not more.. but if you include the endless hours researching on the web drive hrs to get the pop up, the trailer, etc then even more..

and I probably still have another 20 hrs or more of work to do..

but hey atleast I can say I built it :)

Ken definatly something to be proud of! So many options for storage and so on, you'll be glad you have three axles!

Great work

I pulled mine to work the other day and I had a few people come up to me and tell me is was a nice tralier...I've got lots of hours in mine too. One guy didn't believer me that it used to be the rusty frame thing in the back yard.....lol

Ken definatly something to be proud of! So many options for storage and so on, you'll be glad you have three axles!
Great work

thanks..
I just can't wait to get Jeep on back of trailer and go hit the trails

quick price break down for people that wonder.
camper = Free
pop up = $100 for bed parts
trailer = $800
trailer parts = $400 ( jack, neck, etc)
wiring = $100
new Maxxis tires = $600
registration(DMV) = $100
misc = $100
so guess is around $2200
but I did sell my 16ft trailer and a HP dana 60 front axle, that totaled = 2300 so I am doing fine atleast in wifes eyes :)
...estimate probably 80 hrs if not more....
and I probably still have another 20 hrs or more of work to do..
this is how my mind is working today...
2200 (parts) + 2500 (labor, 100hrs x $25 per hour) - $2300 (sell off previous parts and trailer to fund this one) = $2400
I think its well worth that. very nice.
:beer:

Right now I am working on the XJ, but I have more plans for the camper.. storage, on board air, generator, etc.. I am just trying to figure out best option for storage.. I am leaning towards getting a utility bed and putting that on front and then camper inside that :)

hey ken, any chance I could get a decent shot of your jeep crane> fixin to do the same with my yj but hate that my attachment point towards the rear will be my roll bar ( hard to use with top on ) SWEET BUILD:driver:

Very well done sir! Are you gonna paint over the orange/yellow stripe on the camper? Just thought you could match it to your dodge with a couple different tones of blue. Just an idea. I'm sure the DMV officer has got some horror stories from other home built trailers he's seen!

Awesome.... :popcorn:

hey ken, any chance I could get a decent shot of your jeep crane> fixin to do the same with my yj but hate that my attachment point towards the rear will be my roll bar ( hard to use with top on ) SWEET BUILD:driver:

I will look for one

Very well done sir! Are you gonna paint over the orange/yellow stripe on the camper? Just thought you could match it to your dodge with a couple different tones of blue. Just an idea. I'm sure the DMV officer has got some horror stories from other home built trailers he's seen!

the plan is to paint the entire camper. just have not had time :)

Well Since I took it out this weekend figured I should update with a few pics..

Put steps onto trailer a while back..

and finally loaded my jeep onto the back :)

everything worked great

100_6494.jpg

100_6496.jpg

100_6497.jpg

Today I decided why not attach the awning since I have it..

So here it is.

7'x7'

all closed up
100_6557.jpg

opened
100_6556.jpg

showing leg attachments to camper
100_6555.jpg

Back