Recommended trailer Brand

Which brand

• Total voters

No fries

Our company trailer is showing its age, (Due to no one taking care of it, and being overloaded) Last year we put new axles under it fixed all the wiring.
Last month it was overloaded with a metal trash bin and two pallets of screws. Hanger broke off. (fixed that)
We use it primarily to move scissor lifts and material. Occasionally a broke down work truck in Charlotte or van in VA (few of the times it was way beyond its capacity)
It is about 10years old, Tilt metal deck 7,000lb car hauler. I suggest we buy a 10,000lb trailer and tell everyone it is 7K so it only gets overloaded once in awhile.
Any recommendations on manufacturers? we would like something a little overbuilt that will last, but not break the bank. It will live a hard life.
I'm partial to PJ, Big Tex seemed ok and Kaufman is the one I see most around here.

20220816_073308.jpg20220803_151405.jpg

Last edited:
I've owned a PJ and been around Big Tex and Kaufman's. I'd own either of them but I do think there are differences in quality (and reflected in price point).

In my opinion, we see a lot Kaufman's in our area due to the fact that they're manufactured here in NC (not far from URE in Silver Valley...Lexington address if I'm not mistaken). To me, they're a good "value" trailer and I consider them close to the bottom of the "quality" spectrum that I would personally go (thinking the likes of Mid-State trailer, etc....I personally would NOT own one of their trailers and just pony up a little more cash to have a better trailer than MST). @Chris_Keziah has a 20ft 14k equipment Kaufman and it seems to hold up well unless @Hoodw!nk borrows the dang thing. They appear to be built fairly decent but lack some of the extras that I'd want in a trailer. That being said, that's not to say I wouldn't buy one new from them whatsoever. I do like their DTC model so I don't have to deal w/ middle man mark-ups (it'd be easy for me to call them, order what I want, drive down in [[insert number of week backlog]] weeks and pick it up).

I think BigTex and PJs are next level, personally (and BT nudges out a PJ but not by much). They're both well built trailers and I think they're better built "out of the box" than the Kaufman's. For example, both BT and PJ that I've seen come standard with round tube in between the stake pockets of the rub rails. To me, this is just a little thing that is going to help the trailer ultimately hold up better. That's not to say you can't order that from Kaufman, it may just be an upgrade where it appears to come standard on other brands.

A 10k trailer is definitely an upgrade, but I'd HIGHLY recommend just bumping up to a 14k simply based on how it sounds like that thing gets overloaded often (with drop down, spring assist ramps....FAWK slide-in ramps). Whatever you guys do, try to steer clear of 5-lug wheels...6 or 8-lug for sure.

Oh...and if for whatever reason baller budget comes into play. Diamond C ftw

@jeepinmatt will likely chime in before too long. I'd expect him to have some really good feedback / insight

Last edited:
FWIW, had I gotten a similar trailer to my Kaufman from PJ the price difference was over 3000 dollars. That's not what I'd consider a "little extra".

Also, I've never had a trailer and wished it was smaller or rated for less capacity. So, I'd probably get the biggest/heaviest one you feel like paying for.

I just bought a new Hudson deckover not long ago. It's built pretty heavy and I like it so far. The only thing I don't like so far is the quality of the paint isn't all that great in some areas. I looked at a diamond C trailer also, super nice trailers, also a super nice price too. It was nearly double what I paid for the Hudson.

Diamond C is probably the mack daddy.

I bought a Hawke full power tilt steel deck.
I love it. I paid $8k then they are over $10k now. To me its on par or better than the Big Tex or PJ in the full tilt deck configuration.
Mine's rated at 15k and its heavy but pulls great.

But there will always be things that different people prefer. For example @rcalexander105 post about rub rail bracing. Thats a negative to me. Rub rails are designed to bend if you hit them and not transfer the load force to the deck. I dont want bracing that could damage the deck from an inattentive driver turning to sharp. I want the rail to deflect to save the trailer. Again different strokes for different folks

My brother has beat on a gooseneck Big Tex for years at his farm. Everything from round hay bails to heavy equipment. It’s held up well.

I'd second or third any of the recommendations in this thread so far. I'd also throw Copper River Fabricators in the mix. Not a big time trailer manufacturer like the names previously mentioned, but they put out a quality product. They are primarily made to order, so you tell them what you want, and they will build it for you. They are in Concord, NC.

Yall wanna see a beat up/well used Big Tex? Paging @Clubbs !

At least, I think it's a Big Tex.

Yall wanna see a beat up/well used Big Tex? Paging @Clubbs !

At least, I think it's a Big Tex.
Texas Bragg. Never had any trouble with the trailer except for tires. Which apparently seems that you're not supposed to run 80mph at max capacity, but I got a Cummins so I could...

If we're throwing out other brands, pretty sure @Jody Treadway has been very pleased with his Red Hot Welding trailer down in SC

When I bought my PJ I looked at the welds on a BT and the 5-10 trailers I saw of each PJ welds were much better. Quality or sizing of materials were about the same, the powder coat has its pluses and minuses.

Cant do a Deck over trailer, we need a low deck tilt to drive an electric 19' scissor lift up. they state 25% gradeability 45° roughly but traction is usually not there, hence the winch on it when it it wet out. I Haven't measured but I think the tilt is about 20° when we load and sometimes have to get a running start to get it up. Not sure you can get a 14K tilt trailer a lift will go up on. its primary use is moving 1-2 lifts and if we have to winch them up every time it isn't worth the lost time end efforts plus liability.

Diamond C is probably the mack daddy.

I bought a Hawke full power tilt steel deck.
I love it. I paid $8k then they are over $10k now. To me its on par or better than the Big Tex or PJ in the full tilt deck configuration.
Mine's rated at 15k and its heavy but pulls great.

But there will always be things that different people prefer. For example @rcalexander105 post about rub rail bracing. Thats a negative to me. Rub rails are designed to bend if you hit them and not transfer the load force to the deck. I dont want bracing that could damage the deck from an inattentive driver turning to sharp. I want the rail to deflect to save the trailer. Again different strokes for different folks

Hudson might be good too, Hadn't heard of Hawke, but we want a power tilt, no gravity tilt. I agree about going as big as possible but it also has to work for it's primary function. We expect $10-15K for the trailer. I don't want to say money isn't an issue (it isn't) just want to be a good steward of it, and be a good value.

FWIW, had I gotten a similar trailer to my Kaufman from PJ the price difference was over 3000 dollars. That's not what I'd consider a "little extra".
That's because PJ likely has ACTUAL quality control and decent wiring. While I feel Kaufman is OK for the price, NUMEROUS stories of customer picking up trailer in Denton and having to tighten suspension bolts in the parking lot, and lights not working a few miles down the road due to wiring being pinched. Then other folks like Clay not having issues like that
My neighbor bought a tilting MAXX-D and it's quality thru and thru but DAMN is it expensive.

My neighbor bought a tilting MAXX-D and it's quality thru and thru but DAMN is it expensive.

We have a Maxx-D equipment trailer that is close to 15 years old now, all we have done outside of regular maintenance is replace the deck and switch the lights to LED. We have been VERY impressed with it, and I would put it up there with any big name brand, maybe even Diamond C.

While I feel Kaufman is OK for the price, NUMEROUS stories of customer picking up trailer in Denton and having to tighten suspension bolts in the parking lot,

Pretty sure I remember @Croatan_Kid having to stop at Tractor Supply and replace some bolt on his trailers maiden voyage :lol:

Duane

When I bought my PJ I looked at the welds on a BT and the 5-10 trailers I saw of each PJ welds were much better. Quality or sizing of materials were about the same, the powder coat has its pluses and minuses.

Cant do a Deck over trailer, we need a low deck tilt to drive an electric 19' scissor lift up. they state 25% gradeability 45° roughly but traction is usually not there, hence the winch on it when it it wet out. I Haven't measured but I think the tilt is about 20° when we load and sometimes have to get a running start to get it up. Not sure you can get a 14K tilt trailer a lift will go up on. its primary use is moving 1-2 lifts and if we have to winch them up every time it isn't worth the lost time end efforts plus liability.
You could probably get a 14k with torsion axles built low enough for what you need. I bet, in your price range as well.

Hudson might be good too, Hadn't heard of Hawke, but we want a power tilt, no gravity tilt. I agree about going as big as possible but it also has to work for it's primary function. We expect $10-15K for the trailer. I don't want to say money isn't an issue (it isn't) just want to be a good steward of it, and be a good value.
FWIW I have driven a scissor lift onto my trailer twice with no issue. If it was wet, youd probably need a winch but winch plate is standard :D

I'm not shilling or trying to be the poster child for confirmation bias. I researched the hell out of them and thought these were the best price/value intersection.
Also have a good contractor friend who is rough on trailers. He gets 2 years out of Kaufmans and has his first Hawke which is 7 years old and still going. You wont ever abuse one like he does. That was the deciding factor for me.

If you are interested we are close enough that I can bring mine by one day and you can check it out or load a lift on it and see if it works for you.

They are built in NE Georgia but they delivered for like $300....

Crap that was supposed to be a DM but fawk it.

I had a 14k tilt deck big tex. It was OK, the jack (20k unit) failed pretty early on. It was like pulling teeth to get it replaced under warranty. The compromise was they gave me a jack, and I had to disassemble the new jack and make the parts work on the body of the old one (jack body is welded to the trailer).

In general, I didn't have any major problems with big tex, but I wouldn't buy another one, weld quality seemed poor and general engineering seemed like an imitator not an innovator.

Also have a good contractor friend who is rough on trailers. He gets 2 years out of Kaufmans and has his first Hawke which is 7 years old and still going. You wont ever abuse one like he does. That was the deciding factor for me.
Funny you put it this way, I've mentioned to a few ppl that I call Kaufman's "throw-away" trailers. Not that you're literally going to throw them away, but it's just at the bottom of the quality barrel that I'd go personally.

If you are interested we are close enough that I can bring mine by one day and you can check it out or load a lift on it and see if it works for you.
We are near Woodlawn/Old Pineville, McCoys smokehouse. Is close.

If you are up this way let me know, wouldn't want you to make a special trip. Just started looking, so we will be awhile before we do something, lot going on here right now. But need to buy one this year.

Funny you put it this way, I've mentioned to a few ppl that I call Kaufman's "throw-away" trailers. Not that you're literally going to throw them away, but it's just at the bottom of the quality barrel that I'd go personally.
In a place where I can type more.
The guy I'm taking about dispatches generators for a mid size cell company. Well not mid size but not red or blue...anyway.
They dont spend extra like the big companies so they always have gens down. This dude has a small fleet of old wore out generators not on trailers. He literally drags the gens on and off the trailer. Like tie a chain around the gen and pull the trailer out from under it or winch it, no pipe, and let it slide across the deck. He is rough but he makes a shit ton of money.

So its an extreme use, but yeah back when the Kaufmans were $3,800 he was buying them and dern near throwing them away.

I currently have a Kaufman trailer that I bought new from Kaufman in June 2020 and will probably have it a long time because of current trailer prices, and because of the modifications I've made to it (power tilt, flip up winch, expanded storage, 17.5 wheels/tires). I've actually had 3 Kaufmans, but... I looked at a LOT of different stuff before buying mine, including the 2 poorly built Kaufmans I owned previously. I nearly bought a Diamond C, but just could not justify the price difference. That was 2 years ago, and it's an even greater spread now. The only reason I have a Kaufman is because they were one of the better cheap trailers. Or maybe the cheapest of the mediocre trailers.

There's some knowledge nuggets in these threads:
Cheapo Tow Rig project (specifically page 16)

Also, kind of off topic, but entertaining:
And if you read that^, then this will give you a good laugh:

Diamond C, Load Trail, Corn Pro, MaxxD, and many others make a MUCH better trailer than Kaufman and the other low cost, high volume guys. The PJ and Big Texx trailers seem to be somewhere in the middle. Mass produced and not as heavily built as the top names, but still better built fit and finish and design, and more features than a Kaufman. But you know what...they all use the same axles/bearings/tires, and have enough steel to get the job done. The real difference is in the features and conveniences. I ended up with the Kaufman because I couldn't justify the extra price for things that didn't add to the functionality. If I were in your shoes, I'd be looking at a hydraulic full tilt with torsion axles, to get the deck height and loading angle as low as possible. So for your use case, I would not even consider a Kaufman. Their full tilt is a weird double frame design that makes it ~6" higher than the competitors. And their partial tilt is not powered.

Something like the PJ TS series would probably be ideal since you need the low height, but the wide deck and drive over fenders would still allow you to easily load vehicles when needed:

Or a Load Trail or Diamond C if you're feeling frisky (getting full tilt may be build to order, but a partial tilt would work for your scissor lift and material needs):

Also, you could probably get away with a gravity tilt, which would eliminate the issue of dead batteries. The only reason I converted mine to power tilt was to hold the tilt portion in a tilted position once heavy things (such as a lathe or long wheelbase vehicle) went past the tilt point. The nicer tilt trailers have a locking valve that would accomplish this, so you wouldn't even need power tilt and adjustable tilt speed. I have a partial tilt because my primary use is the skidsteer, and I am able to leave attachments on the stationary portion at the front, and get on and off the trailer without having to strap them down.

FWIW I have driven a scissor lift onto my trailer twice with no issue. If it was wet, youd probably need a winch but winch plate is standard :D

I'm not shilling or trying to be the poster child for confirmation bias. I researched the hell out of them and thought these were the best price/value intersection.

They are built in NE Georgia but they delivered for like $300....

Crap that was supposed to be a DM but fawk it.
This is what I think I want. In to see what everyone is saying. My Jeep on my car hauler is 6440. I was thinking 10K but like said may as well go 14K and be done.

Back