Round 2: Keepin' up with the Joneses, Mud Devils and Tony Woody

tenor (1).gif

[mention]77GreenMachine [/mention] [mention]BigClay [/mention]

850cc44a0f127dd98c3dab3c14e52b14.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dont be jealous, if you ever get your pile back on the trail there is room for one more

This has been the easiest series of upgrades yet. Pay MarsFab, wait for pretty pictures :D
The main objective is to push the front end forward enough to clear the oil pan. This required all new panhard (I'm Mr Fancypants now) and mount, 3 link tower, truss re-work and links. Chris was able to push it 8.5" forward and still maintain some "Ranger-esque" aesthetics up front.
While cleaning the frame, he found the frame was fubar, bigly, at the track bar mount. This would have been a gigantic issue on the trail.
I love how he relocated the airshocks behind the axle as new frame end mounts and associated engine bay mods would have been a huge undertaking.
89925.jpeg
89921.jpeg
89920.jpeg
89938.jpeg
89923.jpeg

Another huuuuge PITA has always been the undercarriage skid plate and tranny crossmember. The skid was effective, but easily 100#. The trans crossmember tied into the 3 link frame mount and was admittedly inadequate.
Again, pay someone more talented to do top shelf work.
The new skid will be modular, possible out of aluminum. More importantly, the tranny mount is much more solid that before and when the skid is in place, everything will be protected even more
All said and done, looks like 8.5" wheelbase stretch, 3.5" lower, 6" up 8" down on suspension. So much more balanced.
I may even replace the bungee cord door latch. Maybe.
89910.jpeg
89914.jpeg
89927.jpeg

Holy frame crack man

I can’t wait for the ripple effect of how much harder you can push it now.

Well, since you kinda brought THAT aspect up...
I also ordered Holley Terminator EFI that is highly tunable. I recently realized my ECM is bad. Hasn't been playing friendly with the timing tables as well as continued MAF issues. Probably been leaving a ton of power/driveability on the table. With the Holley setup, I will be able to fine tune many things and expect a lot more woopow to be available.
Also, the pistons, heads and upper intake will all fit nicely on the 393 Windsor that is in the works too.

Nice !

I wouldn't build a skid out of AL. It galls up badly when skipping over rocks.
I'm all for AR / Hardox type material. Glides like butter.
That was just a passing idea, but when I/we talked about it more, it won't happen.
Some sort of HDPE facing maybe. Or like you said, probably AR plate since there will be sections for a change.

I used AL when I did the flat belly on my JK, drug it over a few rocks out in Cali, seemed to be perfectly fine. I’ll admit I didn’t beat it like it owed me money. It’s a whole different kind of wheeling with a lot less momentum and wheel speed.

So no more batch fire injection, I’m assuming?

I have really became a fan of 1/2 HDPE over 1/8” mild steel.

I use 1/4” or 5/16 flat head bolts to bolt the plastic in countersunk holes to the steel. I weld the nuts on the back of the steel.

Then I use 4/5 3/8 or 1/2 bolts to secure the steel to the chassis. Cut 1.25” holes in plastic for clearance for the larger bolt head and socket clearance.

Super quick to pull a skid and good protection for minimal cost.

I was hesitant using the HDPE instead of the more expensive UHMW-PE, but it’s fine. It wears slightly more, but not enough to make the price difference in my opinion.

This has been the easiest series of upgrades yet. Pay MarsFab, wait for pretty pictures :D
The main objective is to push the front end forward enough to clear the oil pan. This required all new panhard (I'm Mr Fancypants now) and mount, 3 link tower, truss re-work and links. Chris was able to push it 8.5" forward and still maintain some "Ranger-esque" aesthetics up front.
While cleaning the frame, he found the frame was fubar, bigly, at the track bar mount. This would have been a gigantic issue on the trail.
I love how he relocated the airshocks behind the axle as new frame end mounts and associated engine bay mods would have been a huge undertaking.
View attachment 327711 View attachment 327712 View attachment 327713 View attachment 327714 View attachment 327715
I really don't have much to add of value here bc I'm still playing JV ball and yall in the bigs; however, every time I see sticky treps now I start salivating! :eek::rockon:

every time I see sticky treps now I start salivating! :eek::rockon:

Same.

I USE to think Jody had talent. I USE to have envy for said talent. Now I realize, it truly was JUST tires :lol::flipoff2:

Use less tire shine and it won't run down on the tread. :flipoff2:
Dude THAT's my technique doe...jack stands, 4-lo, spray the outside wall, inside wall AND the lugs :rolleyes:

Well, since you kinda brought THAT aspect up...
I also ordered Holley Terminator EFI that is highly tunable. I recently realized my ECM is bad. Hasn't been playing friendly with the timing tables as well as continued MAF issues. Probably been leaving a ton of power/driveability on the table. With the Holley setup, I will be able to fine tune many things and expect a lot more woopow to be available.
Also, the pistons, heads and upper intake will all fit nicely on the 393 Windsor that is in the works too.
You will love the Holley it is super easy to use and the auto tune can not be beat, it will be super close just off the auto tune it will be a different machine. Did you get the small display or the big racer style? Updating it to the bigger displacement is super easy to so more cubes= Easier frame busting!

I disagree with that. My Holley was way off on the tune and it felt like I had a different engine after I got it professionally tuned.
It did crank on the first try and worked ok for the time being but the before/after a tune was night and day.

I disagree with that. My Holley was way off on the tune and it felt like I had a different engine after I got it professionally tuned.
It did crank on the first try and worked ok for the time being but the before/after a tune was night and day.

I didn’t say don’t get it tuned... but I’ve never heard of one being way off from the auto tune either, without knowing your setup and seeing the file I can’t venture a guess. A professional tune will be worth every penny for sure but out of the box I’ve never been disappointed with the Holley systems. And I’ve got a lot of experience with them and other EFI stand alone systems over the last 8 years using various ones. Holley is king now in the market since for most folks the auto tune is great and gets them going, a solid tune makes it shine real nice though giving the performance associated with the name and cost.
The MS Pro efi works well to, Holley has played catch up them but passed them with a better interface and free auto tune included in the purchase where MSPro charges for the full tuning package. The old DSM link for diamond stars is really similar to the MSPro so coming from it helped but the Holley system is just really straight forward and easy to navigate, it it works right out of the box better than the others.

Back