Round 2: Keepin' up with the Joneses, Mud Devils and Tony Woody

or I can just re-install my "worked just fine" PCM and be back to square one...

Thanks for the offer man. I really just want simplicity and reliability.
I tell my therapist the same thing!
You've convinced me to run a carburetor, LOL!

I think it would be a good fit for you and your use, for sure.
A lot of people end up modifying their engines and when it comes to an older engine like you have, it is easier to start with a programmable ECU vs trying to adapt / modify an older setup to make it work mehhh.

If the engine is staying stock, the factory ECU is often the way to go.
It's not stock, but simply high compression heads-cam-intake combo. But stock ignition, fuel system and naturally aspirated. So no *need* for anything fancy. I was able to dial it in with the correct MAF and injectors for many years.
Luckily, the Fox body specific Terminator kit I have is hard to get nowadays. So selling it will be easy.

It's not stock, but simply high compression heads-cam-intake combo. But stock ignition, fuel system and naturally aspirated. So no *need* for anything fancy. I was able to dial it in with the correct MAF and injectors for many years.
Luckily, the Fox body specific Terminator kit I have is hard to get nowadays. So selling it will be easy.
I would bet you that a properly tuned Holley setup would make a lot more power, have a better drivability etc, but you need to tune it properly.

I'm over my head with the tuning aspect
I’m right there with you, but for me Holley was the simple path. You just gotta get tuner dude on a dyno for half a day.

I’m right there with you, but for me Holley was the simple path. You just gotta get tuner dude on a dyno for half a day.
gotta find one who is familiar with Ford TFI setups anywhere closeby. No luck yet.
For what I spend in dyno tuning, I can break even going back with what I had (needed a fresh harness anyway)

gotta find one who is familiar with Ford TFI setups anywhere closeby. No luck yet.
For what I spend in dyno tuning, I can break even going back with what I had (needed a fresh harness anyway)
I get it. I just can attest to my personal situation. I couldn’t even back mine out of the trailer when I got to the dyno. Bigger injector’s and over fueling bad. The drivability that came out of that session was invaluable though. He told me I had a manifold leak in the first minute of idling while he was plugged up. We started torquing manifold bolts and he watched it clear up on his screen. I have to back @Bebop up and say that although you’re frustrated now, you’ll be tons happier if you trudge through this and get it on a dyno with a tuner.

I have no personal experience with this shop, but it’s not far from me. They have a dyno, and should be familiar with what you have. Possibly worth a call.

84E44BE1-02A5-4695-87E1-F20F25CDA521.png

Reading the latest engine issues reads like I'm talking with one of the security managers at work bitching about his holley setup on his fox body drag car. I just stare and nod as I'm a Toyota guy and have no idea what he's talking about as we don't fuck with motors outside of putting oil and gas in them and then they make lawn mower level HP LOL!!!

Piss on this Holley crap.
Ordered a replacement Ford EEC-4 OEM style harness from Ron Francis Wiring just now. Ripping out this Holley garbage and re-installing the old PCM.
Drop in dizzy, set timing to 13* and go kick ass.
So pissed off I've wasted the last 6 weeks when I could have been done.
I'm sure the Termonator X stuff is great if you have a tuning background and/or enjoy constantly tweaking it. I don't, so away it goes.

Ordered a replacement Ford EEC-4 OEM style harness from Ron Francis Wiring just now. Ripping out this Holley garbage and re-installing the old PCM.
I'm sure the Termonator X stuff is great if you have a tuning background and/or enjoy constantly tweaking it. I don't, so away it goes.
Man I hate to hear that. I was really interested in hearing your experience with the Holley stuff... I mean I guess we kinda did, but also using it.

I guess a huge takeaway here is that you must factor in dyno/tune time and money when thinking about using one of these systems. No matter how "self tuning" it is.

What a boomer!!!

It’s not a drag car though going for absolute peak performance. Good call. Or get a motec for it and be more confused

Man I hate to hear that. I was really interested in hearing your experience with the Holley stuff... I mean I guess we kinda did, but also using it.

I guess a huge takeaway here is that you must factor in dyno/tune time and money when thinking about using one of these systems. No matter how "self tuning" it is.
Exactly.
I'm sure it's a great addition if you need to squeeze every HP out or if you're into tuning and such. I'm neither

Well I havent checked in here in a while and sounds liek im too late.
Buuuuut. I know a guy who is a damn good tuner and dyno guy and is a Ford only shop.
Charlotte area so 2 hours away but Id buy lunch for your troubles....haha

Buuuuut. I know a guy who is a damn good tuner and dyno guy and is a Ford only shop.
Thanks for the info buddy. But I made up my mind and I'm tired of messing with this thing. Luckily there's a market for the particular kit that I have so aside for the money spent on the tuner I really won't be out anything.

Pm me some info. If I ever get going I will probably need this service. Jody has me scared over his troubles.

But one question? The terminator set up is for multiport or rail based injectors, right?

So how much simpler or trouble is the ol spread bore squirters in a carb looking efi?

Back