Round 2: Keepin' up with the Joneses, Mud Devils and Tony Woody

Pm me some info. If I ever get going I will probably need this service. Jody has me scared over his troubles.

But one question? The terminator set up is for multiport or rail based injectors, right?

So how much simpler or trouble is the ol spread bore squirters in a carb looking efi?
Set up for multiport. It's simply the ECU and harness for (example) any ol' pushrod 5.0/5.8/7.5 EFI setup.
Buy a ragged out 92 Fox body. Remove engine harness and ECU. Install Terminator X stuff, *cough, cough* "tune it" and enjoy.
Supposedly

Pm me some info. If I ever get going I will probably need this service. Jody has me scared over his troubles.

But one question? The terminator set up is for multiport or rail based injectors, right?

So how much simpler or trouble is the ol spread bore squirters in a carb looking efi?
I'm in the boat ahead of you. I've already bought an Atomic Holley TBI for my CJ, ripped out the home made junkyard Chevy TBI that ran decent, and now I'm wondering if when I get ready to install if I'm going to have problems.

I'm in the boat ahead of you. I've already bought an Atomic Holley TBI for my CJ, ripped out the home made junkyard Chevy TBI that ran decent, and now I'm wondering if when I get ready to install if I'm going to have problems.
I wouldn't sweat it. The TBi, Sniper and similar kits tend to be much less problematic.
I have essentially a blank canvas and happen to be a crappy painter. 😜
Yours will be much moreso ready to run

I hate you didn’t get success on this thing.

However I’m glad you decided to stop the bleeding and walk away.

You will be much happier on the trails than screaming at an engine that won’t do the whooo pow like it needs to.

Tuning wise....one of my trucks gets tuned by a guy in Vegas and the other by a guy in Salt Lake City. Kinda wild, right?

Also, I'll likely be installing some sort of EFI setup on my buddy's old Dodge. He said he's set on doing it and, don't get me wrong, it'd be cool...but I know I'm going to spend plenty of time tweaking it.

Tuning wise.....but I know I'm going to spend plenty of time tweaking it.
Herein lies my biggest issue. I just don't have the time to learn how to tune it. Weak sauce or whatever, I'm a very busy dude and I don't have the free time to have to mess with it frequently.
I know the EEC stuff is archaic compared to newer systems, but I know it well and it's pretty much set it once and done.
My tuner guy is a remote tuner and has sent me a few tunes. After loading the latest one, it wouldn't start. That was the final straw. I'm NOT going to be reliant on someone else and/or need proprietary parts when I finally get a weekend free to wheel.

Herein lies my biggest issue. I just don't have the time to learn how to tune it. Weak sauce or whatever, I'm a very busy dude and I don't have the free time to have to mess with it frequently.
I know the EEC stuff is archaic compared to newer systems, but I know it well and it's pretty much set it once and done.
My tuner guy is a remote tuner and has sent me a few tunes. After loading the latest one, it wouldn't start. That was the final straw. I'm NOT going to be reliant on someone else and/or need proprietary parts when I finally get a weekend free to wheel.
They’re much better suited to ls swaps

I'm a very busy dude and I don't have the free time to have to mess with it frequently.
Where did this mindset originate? I’m not constantly messing with mine. It’s one and done…. UNTIL…. you change something about your engine. If I upgrade the air or fuel side of my engine, I’d have to have it tuned again to get full use of said upgrades. I’m assuming it wouldn’t be any different with your original setup.

Where did this mindset originate? I’m not constantly messing with mine. It’s one and done…. UNTIL…. you change something about your engine. If I upgrade the air or fuel side of my engine, I’d have to have it tuned again to get full use of said upgrades. I’m assuming it wouldn’t be any different with your original setup.
LS stuff is a bit more simplistic. The Ford applications with a distributor and (physically) adjustable timing have a bit more moving parts, so to speak.
You're exactly correct that once it's all set and good to go, unless things are changed that would effect AFR. But in my situation, I'm losing confidence in getting it there with what I have available in my area. Also, hearing of Holley ECU shortages is a bit disheartening.
Really, I'm pissed at myself for complicating this when I had (and still have on the shelf) a perfectly good operating system already on the truck.

Man I hate to hear that. I was really interested in hearing your experience with the Holley stuff... I mean I guess we kinda did, but also using it.

I guess a huge takeaway here is that you must factor in dyno/tune time and money when thinking about using one of these systems. No matter how "self tuning" it is.
I've been saying this for year. Many times on this forum.
I'm super bummer for @Jody Treadway that it went down like this, but this is the infortunate truth of the product. It is NOT self tuning. At all.

Yes. Both for the Terminator and TerminatorX (2 different things).
Not much more.

I wouldn't sweat it. The TBi, Sniper and similar kits tend to be much less problematic.
I disagree

They’re much better suited to ls swaps
I also disagree

LS stuff is a bit more simplistic. The Ford applications with a distributor and (physically) adjustable timing have a bit more moving parts, so to speak.
You're exactly correct that once it's all set and good to go, unless things are changed that would effect AFR. But in my situation, I'm losing confidence in getting it there with what I have available in my area. Also, hearing of Holley ECU shortages is a bit disheartening.
Really, I'm pissed at myself for complicating this when I had (and still have on the shelf) a perfectly good operating system already on the truck.
I totally get why you're feeling this way, but the distributor isn't the problem here. The TermX is very suited to make your engine run exceptional, it just needs a good tuner. Same problem as dropping an Edelbrock 750 on a random engine and not tunning it.
As far as the Holley parts being proprietary / hard to get, that is a real problem. One of the reasons I'm currently looking into going back to OEM ECUs, but with my own twist to keep the versatility of the newer systems that are available to us.

Progress.
Stripped the Terminator X out of the truck. Boxed it up and shipping to it's new owner tomorrow. The replacement harness and associated stuff arrives this week. Once I wrap up a 2023 Tacoma regear I'll get back on the Ranger
PXL_20230312_195504763.jpg

Last edited:
My grammer is eggselint
I was convinced to drop 4 trees yesterday so I can cut and drag them to a brush pile today.
That way, Lisa and I can go to the no prep drags at Shadyside tomorrow.
Fair trade
Lived 1mile from a dragstrip and miss it. Will there be a lot of car tomorrow or is it just a normal Saturday?

Lived 1mile from a dragstrip and miss it. Will there be a lot of car tomorrow or is it just a normal Saturday?
Some sort of 10.5, no prep, steel roof event. I'd rather see fast "street" cars like we will tomorrow than tube chassis stuff.
Should be somewhat grass roots type action

Some sort of 10.5, no prep, steel roof event. I'd rather see fast "street" cars like we will tomorrow than tube chassis stuff.
Should be somewhat grass roots type action
Radials and drivers!

My grammer is eggselint
I was convinced to drop 4 trees yesterday so I can cut and drag them to a brush pile today.
That way, Lisa and I can go to the no prep drags at Shadyside tomorrow.
Fair trade

I think my buddy Shawn will be up there in his black S10. That little fawker will move! He's some of my cousin and Smitty's crowd. Good dude! Big ol boy too.

Well, my wife threw her back out helping me drag limbs from the trees we cut down :shaking:. So I made sure I maintained husband of the year status and shadowed her all weekend. No shop time.
I'll feed her some percocets this week if need be so I can get the new harness installed.
It's a shame you don't have a winch for your wench to winch with.

Back