Round 2: Keepin' up with the Joneses, Mud Devils and Tony Woody

So the story here goes...
Our group was gonna hit Rocker Knocker on the way back to the trailers, had been an epic day for us.
Cherocar dooder, on bald 33 Thornbirds nonetheless, was in front of us with the hood open and his shirt off. Always a winning combo in the woods.

He had overheated the 4.0 beyond 3 Mile island range and popped a freeze plug out of the block. We donated cooler water in an effort to get it going. When it wouldn't crank, Cutler and I decided to send our group elsewhere. As I was cinching my harness, Cherodooder cranked it up, bounced the rev limiter and neutral dropped it.

The front end went airborne when it hit a 3' ledge, when the rear hit, away went the rear diff in its entirety. I sat there, mouth wide open like a slack jawed yokel. He hops out from underneath the rig holding the driveshaft above his head like the panties in 16 Candles.

We continued over towards Shipwreck and Radical Ravine to the car. He came dragging in about 30 minutes later.
10 out of 10 would party with that guy

Got a sweet little aesthetic addition to the truck
Guaranteed cool points at the car meets now!
16872078690042641026674823346210.jpg

I'll be interested to see how you like that action packer hold down bracket thing, I have been eyeing that up.

No one wants to see me never finish a project and then part it out when it’s 90% complete

Oh damn, you got 80 HDs too? :D

Solid weekend at Windrock. After a couple uneventful trips to Gulches as shakedown runs, I was ready for a "big" trip.
Truck performed flawlessly 🤘
Runs great, runs cool (195* at the top of the paved climb up from the General Store (if you know, you know), the suspension works great and had zero mechanicals all weekend.
We ran 16 Friday evening, Rail Trail, 3 and I hit the bottom half of Rattlerock on Saturday. Aside from my overall chassis width hanging me up on Rail Trail once and the same on one spot on Rattlerock, no winching or issues.
I lost 2 more door mirrors, the rear doors don't open, a cup holder broke and 5 rear axle shaft bolts disappeared on Rattlerock. Made it back to the trailer and awaits a nut and bolt check.
Got her dialed in and ready for the next trip.

Storm knocked out our wi-fi tonight. Pics tomorrow

Nice!! I need to get back there, basically ran that same trail list minus rattle rock, I need to see the rest of that place!!

When I was on Rattlerock earlier this month, Lisa (spotting for me) said the rear diff was making a funny noise under load. It was still pulling, so we kept going. Made it to the General Store and noticed a major gear oil leak from the LR hub. Apparently, the noise she heard was the shaft walking in and out cause there was only 3 bolts (out of 8) still holding the FF shaft in. They were barely still threaded in.
I was hopeful it was just a fastener issue but feared I had a bent tube. Luckily, when a checked the housing is still (somewhat) straight. So I swapped in new bolts and added Nordlock washers. No uggas, I actually torqued them this time.
Installed new axle flange seals (no RTV) a fresh pinion seal and resealed the cover for good measure. After 7.5 years, the gears still look great. I added a 1.25" fill hole on the cover so I can inspect the gears w/o dropping the cover.
Washed off 2 Gulches trips and a Windrock trip and it's ready for the next outing.
Crappy pic, cover was still wet from washing. I was ready for dinner (see Vittles thread).
PXL_20230730_191450948.jpg

Truck still kicks ass.
Quick Gulches trip yesterday with some buddies. I lead the group around and my truck continues to work very well. It's remarkably stable for a full bodied rig. It really was point and shoot all day. Made it up Testosteroad and SxS Trail at 3D.
Gonna add a couple USB outlets one day after work and it's ready for the next trip.
FB_IMG_1693770978526.jpg

Truck still kicks ass.
Quick Gulches trip yesterday with some buddies. I lead the group around and my truck continues to work very well. It's remarkably stable for a full bodied rig. It really was point and shoot all day. Made it up Testosteroad and SxS Trail at 3D.
Gonna add a couple USB outlets one day after work and it's ready for the next trip.
View attachment 403205
Do you know what your truck weighs?

Back