Rutherfordton Nc Ford 8n retrieval and Resurrection. I hope!

Cut the flat spot out and welded in a new piece. Going to get a new tube and put it back together. Need throw some paint on it too and drill a new hole.

IMG_5257.jpeg

Kicking around trying to put some water and some sort of antifreeze back in.

IMG_5258.png

Went by Helms Farm Machinery. Jimmy Helms is a very knowledgeable and helpful man. I went to see if he did tire work and he doesn’t. So while there we were discussing my tractor and the axle seal. Per him if my rear had an inner shaft seal it’s a TO30 rear. The seals I got were/are a retro fit they came up with later for the older Ford and Ferguson tractors. So I purchased the right seal.
IMG_5262.jpeg

So now I know the rear is from a TO30.

Well came inside to research and found this.

TR 218 A

218a.png

Technical Details

It comes with a stem length of 0.81 inches.

It has a base diameter of 2.5 inches.

It is designed with a stem diameter of 0.64 inches.

It can handle a maximum inflation pressure of 150 psi.

It works perfectly with 0.625-inch rim holes.

It can be used with liquid ballast.

5/8's

And we have a tire and tube. Just need the adapter to fill with water and something to keep it from freezing in winter. Probably going with wiper washer fluid.

IMG_5268.jpeg

IMG_5269.jpeg

Last edited:
So went to tractor supply and picked up 10 gallons of washer fluid. That’s all they had. 5 of 0 and 5 of -20. As I pumped the fluid in I refilled the bottles with water so I’d get a rough idea of how much is going in. So it should have roughly 22 gallons of ballast.

IMG_5274.jpeg

IMG_5275.jpeg

IMG_5276.jpeg

Last edited:
Now find a really long hill get some speed and push the clutch in and let it free wheel to max velocity.....if you still have a seat left from your butthole we need a video and report.

Just kidding. Don't. It's probably the scariest thing I every did while holding a steering wheel. Really dumb mistake while taking a tractor over the highway to use.

Last edited:
Now find a really long hill get some speed and push the clutch in and let it free will to max velocity.....if you still have a seat left from your butthole we need a video and report.

Just kidding. Don't. It's probably the scariest thing I every did while holding a steering wheel. Really dumb mistake while taking a tractor over the highway to use.
I'm really happy it all worked out. But then when I took the picture of the tire mounted I realized I mounted it backwards.... Ugh.

I'm really happy it all worked out. But then when I took the picture of the tire mounted I realized I mounted it backwards.... Ugh.
Can you unbolt the center and put it on the other side? I think some didn't matter on tractors the others are for getting wide offsets on purpose.

I think you're about half nuts for the effort you're putting into a $1000 tractor, but by God I applaud you! If the half the world was as dedicated to making things last we wouldnt have a trash island the size of Texas in the Atlantic ocean.

Can you unbolt the center and put it on the other side? I think some didn't matter on tractors the others are for getting wide offsets on purpose.
Yes but then that tire would be off set different. It is what it is. I will live with it for now.
I think you're about half nuts for the effort you're putting into a $1000 tractor, but by God I applaud you! If the half the world was as dedicated to making things last we wouldnt have a trash island the size of Texas in the Atlantic ocean.
I'm pretty sure my wife agrees that I'm nuts. It has had some frustrations but over all it's been fun.

Took the old Ford to Aiken to do some work. Was trying to fill in a ditch and the no brakes bit me in the ass.
IMG_6207.jpeg

Walked up to the house and got my truck. #godzillatotherescue. Ended up blowing out an old repair the next day. So what radiator should I get? Cheap aluminum or something from one of the Ford places like just 8n’s?

IMG_6229.jpeg
IMG_6230.jpeg
So no real I have this one and it fit great. So I ordered a new one and a shroud and a fan. Pictures of the repair and the hole in front.

IMG_6252.jpeg

IMG_6251.jpeg

So parts showed up. New fan. And new radiator. Bolts in the old one aren’t removable. So ordered new ones.

Last edited:
Do the 8ns have any type of bracket on the front for weights?

I'm used to Farmalls. My BIL/SIL are huge into the antique tractor pulling scene and the farmalls have a nice 3 bolt plate on either side of the radiator to mount angle iron for tractor weights etc.

In the next month or so, I'm going to be resurrecting my 51 Farmall Super C and bringing it home. No clue what I'm going to do with it in the neighborhood but at least it will be here and under a shelter.

Do the 8ns have any type of bracket on the front for weights?

I'm used to Farmalls. My BIL/SIL are huge into the antique tractor pulling scene and the farmalls have a nice 3 bolt plate on either side of the radiator to mount angle iron for tractor weights etc.

In the next month or so, I'm going to be resurrecting my 51 Farmall Super C and bringing it home. No clue what I'm going to do with it in the neighborhood but at least it will be here and under a shelter.
They originally from what I understand have a front bumper. Like this.
1704384609256.jpeg

Looks like you need to fabricobble something together then. Shouldn't be too hard. Parts of my 51 were regularly cobbled together with fence wire and other odds and ends by my granddadddy and they are still holding on today.

Looks like you need to fabricobble something together then. Shouldn't be too hard. Parts of my 51 were regularly cobbled together with fence wire and other odds and ends by my granddadddy and they are still holding on today.
Yes it was suggested using a section of rail. I will just need to figure out how and what I want to do. I'd like to have a heavy front bumper that I can either hang weights on or add some round weights.

IMG_6258.jpeg
IMG_6260.jpeg
IMG_6259.jpeg
IMG_6261.jpeg
Here is the new radiator and shroud waiting on mounting bolts. As you can see they didn’t match perfect. Oh and new teeth for the box blade.

Hell you got bug rigs don't you have a buddy with a tire shop? Build a box on the front and fill it with lead
No don’t have any tire shop friends. I did call me steel supplier friend and he has some scrap 4x4 3/16 I think he said. Maybe 3’ of that filled with lead….

What you need is the most badass American made precision solid bumper of all time!
I have a piece of 3-3/4”x43.5” solid cylindrical steel that was part of a Cincinnati milling machine I scrapped out. It weighs 136 pounds. And would look period correct and awesome on the front of that 8N.
1704418723917.jpeg

I’d take $100 for it since it’s going to a good cause.

Back