Square cage...here it is

So, a condom with a hole in it is better than none at all??

At better analogy is a used condom compared to none at all. It might protect you,, it might also have the clapper left over from the prior user

Lol that autocorrect is so great imma leave it wrong

So, a condom with a hole in it is better than none at all??
Technically all condoms have a hole in them, kinda like all socks have a hole in them
At better analogy is a used condom compared to none at all. It might protect you,, it might also have the clapper left over from the prior user
Technically a condom can be reused. Just turn it inside out and shake the fuck out of it.

Seat belts are located very precisely to control the direction of force and deceleration applied to the body.

A belt located improperly can cause spinal compression or worse even in a low speed impact.

You are literally safer being throw around inside the cab than being restrained by improperly located restraints.

I am not saying yours are wrong or improper, haven't seen them so no clue, just making a generic statement for education purposes that surprised me when I learned it.
Well dang, learn something new everyday lol! Dang dude why u have to go getting all mathematical and stuff, hahaha. Well its on there and ill find out next weekend how it works. Sure feels good wearing both of them to say the least lol.

Technically all condoms have a hole in them, kinda like all socks have a hole in them

Technically a condom can be reused. Just turn it inside out and shake the fuck out of it.

Sure feels good wearing both of them to say the least lol.

So, it feels good to wear two previously worn condoms, obviously turned inside out and haven the fuck shaken out of them??????

Y'all are wrong in so many ways. Myself included of course....

Marty79, all joking aside. You seem to have a good attitude about life in general. Not many people would post their first attempt at a cage on a form, let alone take the ribbing you have over the years. In my opinion the best way to learn is to do, and learn what you can from the experience.
I would guess I am trying to say, no one knows everything from the start. As long as you are learning through out life, then I would say you have lived well......

Marty79, all joking aside. You seem to have a good attitude about life in general. Not many people would post their first attempt at a cage on a form, let alone take the ribbing you have over the years. In my opinion the best way to learn is to do, and learn what you can from the experience.
I would guess I am trying to say, no one knows everything from the start. As long as you are learning through out life, then I would say you have lived well......

What is the definition of insanity???

Doing the same thing over and over expecting different results?

I'm not sure any learning has actually taken place in the last year or two. Hard work, yes. Learning, no.

What is the definition of insanity???

Doing the same thing over and over expecting different results?

I'm not sure any learning has actually taken place in the last year or two. Hard work, yes. Learning, no.
Easy now, he said "first cage" lol. Nah I've learned a bunch from people here and other places. I've learned enough to know "how" to properly do something...on my rig it just doesn't make it that far haha... I guess if I wasn't such a cheap frugal butt I might but I can't help it.
If I had 1000 budget for my jeep add-ons, 600 worth of cage material or more WOULD NOT ever be in that budget lol, 200 would be for cage and 800 for all kinds of other brewed up mods lol. Can't help it, that's just me. I could seriously make 60K yr and still would feel this way, except the whole cage would've been finished and 5 point harness added.

I'm as "cheap" and "frugal" as anyone out there, but one place I never skimp is cage. I've seen too many people flip or flop doing the simplest things to EVER cheap out on a cage. I too enjoy taking my family and feel that it would be irresponsible to do that without a properly built cage.

If your budget for a cage is 200 bucks and your budget for tires is 800, you might need to look at your priorites. Whats the old saying, "a 15 dollar helmet for a 15 dollar head".

Easy now, he said "first cage" lol. Nah I've learned a bunch from people here and other places. I've learned enough to know "how" to properly do something...on my rig it just doesn't make it that far haha... I guess if I wasn't such a cheap frugal butt I might but I can't help it.
If I had 1000 budget for my jeep add-ons, 600 worth of cage material or more WOULD NOT ever be in that budget lol, 200 would be for cage and 800 for all kinds of other brewed up mods lol. Can't help it, that's just me. I could seriously make 60K yr and still would feel this way, except the whole cage would've been finished and 5 point harness added.

knowing how to cut a 22.5* angle would have helped you a lot on your cage..

knowing how to cut a 22.5* angle would have helped you a lot on your cage..
Hey can u briefly explain this a little to help me figure it out. I'm guessing you're referring to all my angles being a 90 which isn't good? I did it for simplicity with X bracing in mind once I get more material.

Cutting at angles and welding takes the same amount of work. Same cut but at an angle. Same weld but on an angled cut. Same measurement but at a better number.

The only extra work required is about an hour of up front thinking and planning the work before you even make the first cut or weld.

Hey can u briefly explain this a little to help me figure it out. I'm guessing you're referring to all my angles being a 90 which isn't good? I did it for simplicity with X bracing in mind once I get more material.

*22.5 + *22.5 = *45

*45 + *45 = *90

Ok sorry guys I get the angled cut but still don't get the main reasoning, not trying to be difficult (maybe I'm little slow at learning but I don't get the clear message)thanks

Ok sorry guys I get the angled cut but still don't get the main reasoning, not trying to be difficult (maybe I'm little slow at learning but I don't get the clear message)thanks

DSCF3518Angled_stairs_showing_22.5_degree_cutting.jpg

The main reasoning is - you need more things at a 45 degree (or other non-90) angle, for strength.
Is that the part you are struggling with? Why you need more triangles? Or, why you have to cut at 22.5 to get the 45 angle?

*technically* you CAN make a 45 joint by just cutting 1 at 45 and the other at 90. But it will look like crap and the size of the pieces won't line up (see Pythagorean Theorem - the hypotenuse of a right triangle is longer than either side). So the bets way to make a joint that looks nice is to cut both pieces at 1/2 the total angle, and meet them together. 1/2 of 45 = 22.5. ckruzer's pic illustrates this.

If you're asking why you need things at angles, go try this experiment. It will be very education.
Go but some EMT or similar cheap tubing. Weld 4 pieces, maybe 3' long, into a square.
Now, take your square, go up to the top of a building and throw it off, so that the corners or side hit the ground like a wheel (NOT flat on the ground).
Observe how it bent. $5 says it will be a diamond-shaped parallelogram.
Now get more tubing and make the same square again, but this time, put 2 extra bars making an X in the middle, and throw that.
Notice how much stronger it is.
Now also go get 3 pieces and make a triangle, and throw it, and again compare to your square.

If you're asking why you need things at angles, go try this experiment. It will be very education.
Go but some EMT or similar cheap tubing. Weld 4 pieces, maybe 3' long, into a square.
Now, take your square, go up to the top of a building and throw it off, so that the corners or side hit the ground like a wheel (NOT flat on the ground).
Observe how it bent. $5 says it will be a diamond-shaped parallelogram.
Now get more tubing and make the same square again, but this time, put 2 extra bars making an X in the middle, and throw that.
Notice how much stronger it is.
Now also go get 3 pieces and make a triangle, and throw it, and again compare to your square.
That's what I was not getting, makes sense. Thanks for clarifying that!

*technically* you CAN make a 45 joint by just cutting 1 at 45 and the other at 90.

we should probably clarify that the reason you dont cut one 45* and 1 90* and weld it together is that two 22.5* welds butted together allows any force applied to the structure to be applied to more surface area AND evenly spread throught the joint.

Well today boss gave me some 1/4wall DOM to finish my cage ...woohoo so finishing it up right now for this weekend..should be good enough for now. The windshield I think is the better way of doing those braces if I remember correctly from someone else's input on that topic but its much stronger than it was.
0124181914.jpg
1516846135220772704455.jpg
0124181845.jpg

I feel like this jeep needs that giant cat radiator you had on the tramp xj... something maybe a like a old hummer hood I dunno get creative find a old ass willys hood to chop up and have pins in? lol I'm trying to open up your mad max creativity haha

I feel like this jeep needs that giant cat radiator you had on the tramp xj... something maybe a like a old hummer hood I dunno get creative find a old ass willys hood to chop up and have pins in? lol I'm trying to open up your mad max creativity haha
It's going to need a 5.9 Cummins in it to pull all the weight. But 1/4 wall DOM will keep ya safe. Lol

What was the reasoning on not cross bracing the roof section? You could have easily run X's between your already established horizontal pieces and it would have made it a lot stronger. How's the visibility out of the front?

Back