Square cage...here it is

Back in my day a gotdamn single roll bar in a cj or eb was just fine, adding an A pillar bar made it bomb proof.
Now you gotta add 900lbs of rockbouncer spiderweb or u just a bitch that's about to die.

Also thought that 150hp, leaf springs, and 35" tires were the cats meow. :flipoff2: But there weren't trailers, tow rigs, and "parks".

In the top picture, there is nothing underneath the V brace. That's what people neglect. That means that lower horizontal bar is in bending if there is a vertical load on the top bar (your backflip scenario for example) and can have a nice buckling failure in bending. The top bar will potentially also fail in buckling at the same time, for the same reason. That V brace is not able to do nearly the job that you want it to, because it can't.

In the 2nd and 3rd pictures, the lower legs of the V brace are at a junction to another point, which means that lower horizontal bar is not in bending. Neither is the top bar. The V brace can actually serve a useful function. That's what you need to do.

how would you envision adding two more points as you're suggesting? not alot of options with those dashes. what if you were to have two lower horizontal bars? might not be enough room for the "X" tho. hmmm. or what if you tied the two triangle points and did an angle down to the center console area and tied into a floor grid?

For the sake of arguement, which is best?

Let’s use a jeep windshield area for example.

You have a rectangle that is wider than it is tall.

Is it better to

gusset the 4 corners with 6” or so Long tubes?

Single vertical tube in center?

Inverted V in center.

All that is assuming the top center of top horizontal is a node for roof center and the bottom horizontal tube is running across a dash, making anything in center a “dead” tube.

I like the idea of something as it reduces the length of an open span of tube,

But with all the experts here, which is the best option in that scenario?

JF you need X’s in as many planes as possible, think of each plane as a view.

View from top, side, and rear. You want to see as many X’s as you can.

Also try to get tube intersections to occur at the same locations so the loads transfer to as many tubes as possible.

Weeee dogies!!! Hold my beer so I can jump out!:beer: Actually the tires will pop off the rims before anything really dangerous happens. Just stay above 60psi and you will be fine with 16.5's! :D

Ture those wheels have no safety beed
All he has to do is run some self tapping screws through the rim into the tire bead. Fixes that right up.

John, remember a cage is only useful if you stay in the vehicle. Be sure your seats and seat mounts are solid. invest in some harnesses, and be sure they are property installed.
For now both front seats have dual seatbelts so that should help a lot. Might add a 3rd over my lap since I have it (kept em from a car I scraped)lol, works for now though, feels much much tighter than one

I tried to add some bracing to your pic, as others have said... Trying to brace the squares without completely killing the space. The yellow bars are additions on the sides of the cage. The green in the bracing behind the front seats. The pink is behind the rear seat. As for the roof, I cannot see it well, but I would make it look like a big horizontal X in each section. Basically you want to keep your |_| from looking like /_/ by |X|, |/|, or |\|.

View attachment 256425
Everything you drew I'm planning on and kinda figured is what I needed..just gotta get some material .....argh

All he has to do is run some self tapping screws through the rim into the tire bead. Fixes that right up.
Yep..worked awesome on my last rig

Thank you everyone for all the advise, really! Soon I hope to get more material (before Nov 3rd ride) but if not by then, I have something and will like always wheel as if I don't have a cage. All the bracing that you guys have pointed out will be added once I get the stuff. Thanks a lot.

what if you tied the two triangle points and did an angle down to the center console area and tied into a floor grid?
I am thinking of way to do this and tie it into frame rails or the rock sliders somehow without being in the way.....if I come up with something, will def post a mockup but for now back to working on house and cars lol, jeep is good for the moment

For now both front seats have dual seatbelts so that should help a lot. Might add a 3rd over my lap since I have it (kept em from a car I scraped)lol, works for now though, feels much much tighter than one
Tell me more! Pics please!

Some please snatch this with a trailer and leave $1k cash on the ground in its place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lean the windshield back a little and add a few diagonal braces here and there
then rock on and let the haters hate.
no matter what you do john somebody will find fault with it.
looks ok IMO.

I would but too risky breaking front axle...I'd do it for free as I trust it 110% but can't afford broken hubs/steering/or other mechanical stuff. Good idea though lol
I've got spare knuckles and hubs... I'll see you at the flats.

Back