"Take 92" - YJ Linked with Nines

Put a bushing in the center so you don't break the trans case.

why? It has a plate under tranny with 4 bolts going into bottom of tranny and that plate is attached to the tube. with each side having a bushing.

do you think the bushings will be to stiff?
I plan to change out motor mounts to stiffer ones also.

why? It has a plate under tranny with 4 bolts going into bottom of tranny and that plate is attached to the tube. with each side having a bushing.

do you think the bushings will be to stiff?
I plan to change out motor mounts to stiffer ones also.

Picture your frame twisting. With your current setup, It will try and twist your engine/tranny/transfer case. The transmission case is almost always the weak link and cracks. I've seen this numerous times. A single standard style transmission mount is needed underneath the rear of the tranny.

I always saw people saying that having two bushings at either framerail would cause lots of problems. In some cases it might. I have been running that same setup Ken built with poly bushings on my tj for over 5 years and have not cracked/broken anything (4cylinder, 4:1 case, 4.88s, 36s). Just my experience.

Picture your frame twisting. With your current setup, It will try and twist your engine/tranny/transfer case. The transmission case is almost always the weak link and cracks. I've seen this numerous times. A single standard style transmission mount is needed underneath the rear of the tranny.

I can see a XJ twisting, but a boxed YJ frame with all the added steel welded in and bracing I just dont see where it cause an issue

here is cross member.. After looking at it I am gonna add one more brace on bottom side

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_4862.jpg

This. Plus the difference in eccentric spacing between the motor mounts and the trans mount. If there's differential movement there, the transmission gets caught in the middle.

I can see a XJ twisting, but a boxed YJ frame with all the added steel welded in and bracing I just dont see where it cause an issue

TJ frame is a hell of a lot stiffer than a YJ, but if I take the belly skid off with it sitting on an irregular surface, the frame rails deflect enough that it's a pain in the ass to get it lined back up again to be able to feed in the skid bolts.

This. Plus the difference in eccentric spacing between the motor mounts and the trans mount. If there's differential movement there, the transmission gets caught in the middle.

but with poly motor mounts and these poly mounts I am gonna take the risk and see what happens I know others have done this with no issues..

I am just hard headed :)

so I guess we will see what happens

I also have the exact same set up as Matt and Ken and have been running it since 2007. I have brown dog poly MM and poly bushings at the frame for what it's worth.

Project looks good!

Ken - I ran an almost identical crossmember with no issues on my lady YJ based rig and v8. The poly mounts give very little as opposed to a rubber bushing.

I would be fine running what you built, especially since you don't have a massive engine... I just built something very, very similar in my tube buggy and I have a healthy v8... But then again, it is a tube buggy, with very frame flex.

well spent a little time in garage and cleaned up front frame and took off all old steering then John and I mounted the 300

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_4863.jpg

Looks good Ken. Hope I get a look at this when it's done. I like that link kit. Looks very well done.

Well after having an issue with splines on front axle see this: http://www.nc4x4.com/forum/index.php?threads/35-spline-issue-need-some-help.148901/

I finally got it all together and put axle in temp location trying to find placement and wheel base

I bought Seal it seals from speeday and got them in, I added rtv to be safe
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_4971.jpg

I also ordered some 37 Maxxis and 1 came in so I mounted it with my inner locks , the others are on back order
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_4959.jpg

Here is jeep at full bump with 14" belly clearance testing out location of front axle
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_4973.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_4974.jpg

and from the front
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_4975.jpg

with 2 sick kids and the sewer system breaking it was a long weekend and so not much garage time

but I did a little

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_4997.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_5002.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_5003.jpg

Well I got all 4 tires mounted with inner locks installed ready to use, set rear axle in place and got rear lower links made and set, took all measurements for upper links with the hope to make them in the next day or so then I can start mocking up air shocks..

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_5040.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_5042.jpg

All links are made and welded.. just need to finish painting them all and then they can go in for good.

which means final assembly on axles and then start air shock mounting

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_5045.jpg

I bought Seal it seals from speeday and got them in, I added rtv to be safe
You get the seals cut for 35 spline? Double them up? If not grease them up good and call me when they wear out. I made a little jig to cut them out bigger for 35 spline and 40 spline axles so there's not so much tension around the shaft.

finally got rear axle together.. finish bracing tonight and it will be ready to go back in

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_5059.jpg

and since so many people said I should add a center mount for crossmember I did that also

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_5057.jpg

But best part was having wrench time with my son assembling axles
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_5051.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_5053.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_5054.jpg

Very cool! He gonna get to drive it when it's done?

Back