The future of cars

Bebop

Interesting look into the short to mid term strategy of the biggest car manufacturer in the world.

Interesting look into the short to mid term strategy of the biggest car manufacturer in the world.

this has so many acronyms it reads like a DoD white paper.

this has so many acronyms it reads like a DoD white paper.
I knew by that preview I needed a "engrish please" version before I could comprehend WTF was being said

Big Words GIF by Back Row Radio

I've ridden in and driven a few Teslas now. I mean, for a commuter car you really can't beat it. Unless there is a big change in tech coming up I think general "appliance" cars will start going that way.

I want one now.. I'm not going to buy one because I'm a cheap ass, but I want one.
Me too. The performance is incredible. There are problems but I still am infatuated.

Me too.
I want one. Just dont have the mileage I need yet.

Chances are...several words were a result of writing a simple version...then editing it to sound 68x smarter than they actually were to try and appeal to a more intellectual audience.

If not....can you imagine an every day conversation with someone like that?

Animated GIF

Have a dude in my R&D department with 2 PhD’s and 2 masters…I literally look at him and tell him ‘Ed, 10 words or less, otherwise this conversation isn’t happening’.

I don't understand the push to electric and not looking at hydrogen power. From what I have read it is zero emission.
Right, the hydrogen is the same electric power, just stored in hydrogen rather than NiCd, Li ion or lead acid. When I was in college ~15 years ago the state of the science was that heavy metal batteries were more directly accessible than hydrogen because of issues in manufacturing. Specifically, in order to get enough hydrogen storage (without it being pressurized, which is the source of accident explosions a la Hindenberg) to approximate a tank of gas, the substrate has to be built at the nano-scale. There were companies manufacturing hydrogen fuel cells using carbon nanotubes, which is 100% surface area and could theoretically store several thousand miles worth of power in the same size as a traditional gas tank, without any explosive tendency in accidents, and with only water coming out of the tailpipe. Pretty boss. The problem then was manufacturing carbon nanotubes consistently. Haven't kept up with the state of the art so I have no idea where it is now, but I'm sure someone's getting close.

I thought hydrogen powered cars used ICEs and burned the hydrogen?

Me too.
I want one. Just dont have the mileage I need yet.
I'd think it should be a limited time before some vehicles start having an option of a 2nd add-on battery, just for guys like you.

I believe mythbusters built one.

I'd think it should be a limited time before some vehicles start having an option of a 2nd add-on battery, just for guys like you.
For people who need the extra mileage, it would be really cool if they made a dual power vehicle, kinda like the old multifuel trucks, except with 2 engines and 2 power sources. Like an electric and gas, or even better, electric and diesel. Or even have a bank of batteries that power the vehicle and is charged by a really efficient diesel generator.

Last edited:
For people who need the extra mileage, it would be really cool if they made a dual power vehicle, kinda like the old multifuel trucks, except with 2 engines and 2 power sources. Like an electric and gas, or even better, electric and diesel. Or even have a bank of batteries that powers the vehicle and is charged by a really efficient diesel generator.
That's called a train.....

For people who need the extra mileage, it would be really cool if they made a dual power vehicle, kinda like the old multifuel trucks, except with 2 engines and 2 power sources. Like an electric and gas, or even better, electric and diesel. Or even have a bank of batteries that powers the vehicle and is charged by a really efficient diesel generator.
How is that different from a lot of the hybrid vehicles now? Mostly electric, gas only for backup.

So I went back and found the car I remember reading about...

That was in 07.

For people who need the extra mileage, it would be really cool if they made a dual power vehicle, kinda like the old multifuel trucks, except with 2 engines and 2 power sources. Like an electric and gas, or even better, electric and diesel. Or even have a bank of batteries that power the vehicle and is charged by a really efficient diesel generator.
You mean a Chevy Volt, the car they canceled?
Its gas engine was just a fancy generator. "Extended range electric "

That's called a train.....
How is that different from a lot of the hybrid vehicles now? Mostly electric, gas only for backup.
You mean a Chevy Volt, the car they canceled?
Its gas engine was just a fancy generator. "Extended range electric "
Man, the sarcasm is really not translating today. I thought it was blatantly obvious.
:(
Yes, I was referring to hybrids and diesel electric locomotives.

Back