The future of cars

well this week I travelled for work and grabbed the last car on the rental lot which turned out to be a Hyundia hybrid Ioniq. after playing with some buttons I was able to set the cruise and the damn thing stayed in is lane with out me touching the wheel and if the car in front of me slowed down it would slow and when they sped up it would speed back up and keep pace. damn thing got around 60mpg as it would switch between EV and gas. Ugly as hell car but for what it was worth not a bad drive. For me I like the idea of a hybrid as you can stop and add fuel and continue on with out having to stop and charge.

well this week I travelled for work and grabbed the last car on the rental lot which turned out to be a Hyundia hybrid Ioniq. after playing with some buttons I was able to set the cruise and the damn thing stayed in is lane with out me touching the wheel and if the car in front of me slowed down it would slow and when they sped up it would speed back up and keep pace. damn thing got around 60mpg as it would switch between EV and gas. Ugly as hell car but for what it was worth not a bad drive. For me I like the idea of a hybrid as you can stop and add fuel and continue on with out having to stop and charge.
Were you at National rentl in Seattle? :laughing: That's exactly what happened to me last month with the family in tow, and I ended up putting 10 days and 1500 miles on a white Hyundai Ioniq (pronouned ion-eek dammit) Hybrid. It was an unremarkable, but highly decent car that returned nearly 55mpg over a mix of city, highway, and mountainous terrain throughout Oregon and Washington. I had some minor complaints, and the styling was definitely not my taste, but $750 vs $1300 for a compact SUV was a no brainer, and the fuel savings was nice too.

Interesting timing

This is nice to see. I saw Elon's electric truck and I was like no that aint going to work.... In city delivery vehicles maybe but not an over the road truck.

pronouned ion-eek dammit
1626379866475.png

Were you at National rentl in Seattle? :laughing: That's exactly what happened to me last month with the family in tow, and I ended up putting 10 days and 1500 miles on a white Hyundai Ioniq (pronouned ion-eek dammit) Hybrid. It was an unremarkable, but highly decent car that returned nearly 55mpg over a mix of city, highway, and mountainous terrain throughout Oregon and Washington. I had some minor complaints, and the styling was definitely not my taste, but $750 vs $1300 for a compact SUV was a no brainer, and the fuel savings was nice too.
It was national in Sacramento CA

Have a dude in my R&D department with 2 PhD’s and 2 masters…I literally look at him and tell him ‘Ed, 10 words or less, otherwise this conversation isn’t happening’.

An old friend of mine was the head engineer at Channel 2 TV in G-Boro for years.
Beyond smart. Most intelligent person I have ever known.
While all of his underlings used 1000 dollar computers and 1000 dollar software, he ran the entire TV station on an old 386 computer running nothing but MS-DOS.
He invented the original NASCAR in-car camera.
He hand-built the first public use weather radar in NC.
He laughed at fart jokes. (actually just a normal guy)
He only sounded smart when he needed to.

Last edited:
How is that different from a lot of the hybrid vehicles now? Mostly electric, gas only for backup.

Why can't they do that?
A friggin' 5 hp briggs-n-stratton under the hood running a monster genny to juice up the cells.
Make it big enough that you don't have to use a wall-wart.
Heck, my genny will run 13 hours on 8 gallons ..... thats 2.5 tanks Wilmington to Barstow!

Why can't they do that?
A friggin' 5 hp briggs-n-stratton under the hood running a monster genny to juice up the cells.
Heck, my genny will run 13 hours on 8 gallons ..... thats 2.5 tanks Wilmington to Barstow!
Just an idea (I don't have any strategic intel at this level), but that would be a great option to sell to an electric car owner.

Buy the battery only version for $50,000. Add the genset range extender for 8k$

Why can't they do that?
thats literally how the Chevy Volt works.

Why can't they do that?

Your genny runs that long because it's demand based.... If you were running it at absolute full load all the time, That 8 gallons would last a considerably shorter time. Series electric vehicles, like the Chevy Volt, Or Diesel Electric locomotives are also demand based, So they use less fuel to go down hill, and more to go uphill, But they both demand a LOT more Kwhs (KiloWatt hours) Than your refrigerator and TV, Or even shop equpment if you're running that off a generator.

A 5hp motor would never keep up with the demand of pushing a 2 ton vehicle around at 70+ MPH...

No matter if we use an ICE motor directly driving wheels, or a an electric motor getting all it's power from an ICE motor, It's gonna take the same energy content to push that vehicle up a hill. (actually slightly more in the ICE/Electric setup, due to drivetrain losses)

No matter if we use an ICE motor directly driving wheels, or a an electric motor getting all it's power from an ICE motor, It's gonna take the same energy content to push that vehicle up a hill. (actually slightly more in the ICE/Electric setup, due to drivetrain losses)
There's also a significant loss of efficiency just in the power conversion from ICE to electric as well.

Your genny runs that long because it's demand based.... If you were running it at absolute full load all the time, That 8 gallons would last a considerably shorter time. Series electric vehicles, like the Chevy Volt, Or Diesel Electric locomotives are also demand based, So they use less fuel to go down hill, and more to go uphill, But they both demand a LOT more Kwhs (KiloWatt hours) Than your refrigerator and TV, Or even shop equpment if you're running that off a generator.

A 5hp motor would never keep up with the demand of pushing a 2 ton vehicle around at 70+ MPH...

The 5 hp isn’t driving the wheels, just keeping the battery charged. And mine isn’t actually 5, it’s 8 but you get the idea.
I didn’t realize the Volt worked like I said.
Apparently all things point to what people say. Green isn’t what all it’s proponents say it is.

The 5 hp isn’t driving the wheels, just keeping the battery charged. And mine isn’t actually 5, it’s 8 but you get the idea.

Yeah, I figured that's what you meant, But I don't think that the 5hp (or 8hp) based generator can make enough power to keep up with the electrical demand of pushing a car, The Volt's ICE engine was 84hp to keep up with power demand. But the Volt's ICE didn't run all the time, either, so I'm sure you could get away with some thing less powerful, But I'm thinking it would be somewhere in between the two extremes.

Also, if people were willing to accept GeoMetro levels of performance, we could get better efficiency out of cars without doing any of this silly hybrid stuff...

if people were willing to accept GeoMetro levels of performance, we could get better efficiency out of cars without doing any of this silly hybrid stuff...
This as the Mopar executives snort a line of coke off a strippers ass and float the idea of a Hellcat motor in a minivan

I didn’t realize the Volt worked like I said.
Apparently all things point to what people say. Green isn’t what all it’s proponents say it is.
The pesky laws of physics come into ply in efficiency losses.

You will never use a motor to produce electricity and then use the electricty to turn a motor and then use that motor to move a vehicle and be more efficient than just running the same vehicle off the motor in question from a fuel consumption standpoint.

Laws of Thermodynamics and such. You are just releasing the therms trapped into the fuel and turning them into kinetic energy

All this talk of engines and motors. There are two basic kinda of hybrid automobiles: series and parallel. Series just uses the engine to charge the electric portion or to provide electricity for immediate use. The engine is not mechanically connected to the wheels. Parallel is what most hybrids on the road are today, the engine and electric motor/generator can both power the vehicle's wheels directly.

I think most Tesla buyers don't expect, or want, anything more than that.
Teslas offer performance levels only the hottest of ICE cars can match. Base models are fast cars.

Back