The future of cars

Nothing says our power grid is ready for everyone to go EV like the power company threatening outages on Christmas because it got a little colder than usual…

View attachment 388048

So this actually got me thinking…do/would they shut down by grid or ration by home??? I pay/paid a lot of money for a high efficiency house (my utilities tend to be half the cost of houses half my size). If we got to a point of overloading the grid because of EV’s (or whatever), I’ve been in manufacturing environments where I’ve had to pay premiums to avoid brown outs, would cash be king in residential settings too? At the end of the day, I care about the comfort of my family, not everyone (no different than financial philanthropy). How commoditized can power get?

9551D446-9D58-4DC5-9744-F9A1FBEA0405.png

So this actually got me thinking…do/would they shut down by grid or ration by home??? I pay/paid a lot of money for a high efficiency house (my utilities tend to be half the cost of houses half my size). If we got to a point of overloading the grid because of EV’s (or whatever), I’ve been in manufacturing environments where I’ve had to pay premiums to avoid brown outs, would cash be king in residential settings too? At the end of the day, I care about the comfort of my family, not everyone (no different than financial philanthropy). How commoditized can power get?

View attachment 388106
A "pay for priority" system would get crucified as being unfair to lower income populations.

A "pay for priority" system would get crucified as being unfair to lower income populations.

I don’t disagree, but I’m already less of a drain on a daily basis, so why should I be punished (really just playing devils advocate here)? And frankly, it already happens. Ever worked at a billion dollar steel mill in the middle of summer in a relatively impoverished area? Guess what, I was paying upward of a 70% power premium to keep my plant running, and diverting it from elsewhere in the area, which usually meant someone wasn’t getting A/C for a few hours during the hottest days of the year, and a ‘we’re in it together’ text message wasn’t being sent out.

I take it as a sign of just how far the snowball has rolled.......the real worry is how fast is it taking on speed and weight.

Record cold or heat? Heck throw in clean water. This countries infra structure and long term planning seem as weak as pre depression dust bowl era.

I don't want to think about a few years of hard drought.

But all the go hard green policy isn't helping anyone but the investors in that sector. Farming Fuel, and general Energy is railing in the wrong directions.

I would have gotten into the driver's seat, just incase.
I would get into the passenger seat bc it has more airbags.
Although technically the safest place remains the back, center seat so I guess that would be most logical.

But also, imagine the legal chaos if you jumped into the driver seat, and felt an accident was imminent, grabbed the wheel and did something, and an accident still occurred?
I'm 100% sure Lyft or whoever would point the finger at you.

More I think of it... best course of action is just to take a quick shot of whiskey for the nerves, take the back middle seat, and try and enjoy the ride letting it all be somebody else's problem.

I would get into the passenger seat bc it has more airbags.
Although technically the safest place remains the back, center seat so I guess that would be most logical.

But also, imagine the legal chaos if you jumped into the driver seat, and felt an accident was imminent, grabbed the wheel and did something, and an accident still occurred?
I'm 100% sure Lyft or whoever would point the finger at you.

More I think of it... best course of action is just to take a quick shot of whiskey for the nerves, take the back middle seat, and try and enjoy the ride letting it all be somebody else's problem.
you are probly right about that assessment. I am not sure how hard it would be to overpower the automation in that car. Our Toyota has the lane-departure-assist and its hard enough to overcome when trying to change lanes. I would likely avoid it all by not riding in one.

Are these going to leak the magic smoke instead of oil?
Breaking news: the self proclaimed "Road King" Hardly Davidson has entered into a partnership with Lucas "The Prince of Darkness". Stay tuned for more bright ideas.

Back