The future of cars

Last edited:
Overall, if the regulations are finalized, a staggering 67% of new sedan, crossover, SUV and light truck purchases could be electric by 2032, the White House projected. In addition, up to 50% of bus and garbage truck, 35% of short-haul freight tractor and 25% of long-haul freight tractor purchases could be electric by then.

With current charging and battery technology I see no way to make electric work in over the road trucking. I mean real drivers are bitching about mandatory breaks.

With current charging and battery technology I see no way to make electric work in over the road trucking. I mean real drivers are bitching about mandatory breaks.
But that’s the problem. There aren’t a lot of “real” truckers anymore, just a bunch of steering wheel holders and thus the mandatory breaks and a host of other regulations to make up for their lack of training and attention to details while on the road.

But that’s the problem. There aren’t a lot of “real” truckers anymore, just a bunch of steering wheel holders
When @BigClay broke down on 77 a mile from the Princeton exit in a death curve he was chatting with the trooper. They discussed how MANY of the truck drivers that go thru that area get their license in Cali/NY and can't speak a word of english or even read it.

But that’s the problem. There aren’t a lot of “real” truckers anymore, just a bunch of steering wheel holders and thus the mandatory breaks and a host of other regulations to make up for their lack of training and attention to details while on the road.
Not going to argue that. I however have a couple drivers that don't want to be sitting.
When @BigClay broke down on 77 a mile from the Princeton exit in a death curve he was chatting with the trooper. They discussed how MANY of the truck drivers that go thru that area get their license in Cali/NY and can't speak a word of english or even read it.
Not doubt what is driving the current rate per mile payment. I'm sure a lot of them are working for a lot less than .5 or .60 per mile which is the standard for OTR from what I understand.

This. Trooper told me most of the truckers he encounters do not speak English and cannot read English and have a NY driver license

1682435205851.png

Damn. Getting a load of freight out of CA already cost $10g. Gonna cost 20 when that goes into affect. I wonder how many drop yards will pop up just east of the border along i40 in Arizona.

Damn. Getting a load of freight out of CA already cost $10g. Gonna cost 20 when that goes into affect. I wonder how many drop yards will pop up just east of the border along i40 in Arizona.
That and the imports will go to other ports. Savannah has grown to the 3 largest port in the US.

Looks to me like Farley is just positioning himself and the other US makes to push Congress for more Tariff's on Chinese competitors when the time comes.

They'll get those protections setup, then turn around and sell rebadged Chinese EV's under the Blue Oval in the rest of the world. While in America we'll get the Mach E and Lightning at the profit margin they are used to making in the US, They might sell a few Mach E's worldwide, but F150s, EV or Gas, aren't something they were ever gonna sell in Volume worldwide..

Does anyone really think the Chinese companies are going to waste time building Lyriq and Hummer EV 'Competitors'?

Looks to me like Farley is just positioning himself and the other US makes to push Congress for more Tariff's on Chinese competitors when the time comes.

They'll get those protections setup, then turn around and sell rebadged Chinese EV's under the Blue Oval in the rest of the world. While in America we'll get the Mach E and Lightning at the profit margin they are used to making in the US, They might sell a few Mach E's worldwide, but F150s, EV or Gas, aren't something they were ever gonna sell in Volume worldwide..

Does anyone really think the Chinese companies are going to waste time building Lyriq and Hummer EV 'Competitors'?
I also doubt that the Chinese are going to make a vehicle specifically for the US market. If that is true, that would mean that Farley is thinking that their decision to eliminate sedans was not the greatest? The rest of the world has little use for the larger SUVs/Trucks that the US market has. Even the crossovers here are large for the rest of the world, atleast where EVs would sell.

As much as I hate to say it - this is largely driven by people's obsession with vehicles that are way bigger than are actually needed. Some people need pickups but most don't. Some people need SUVs but really... most don't.
I've been seeing an old guy in my area lately driving an old Geo Metro. I forgot how small those cars are. With today's roads flooded with large pickups and SUVs, it looks even smaller.

I've been seeing an old guy in my area lately driving an old Geo Metro. I forgot how small those cars are. With today's roads flooded with large pickups and SUVs, it looks even smaller.
I learned to drive In a Geo Metro, couldn't imagine driving that around cabarrus county today.

Back