The Mega Hauler

I have looked into medium duty trucks for a long time. You can get killer deals on good trucks pretty regular. Fuel mileage is not that different when hauling heavy. What has stopped me from doing this before was not being able to drive it to work, I have a $500 beater ranger for that. The main thing for me is traveling. I have a crew cab f450 with a 9ft flatbed and it is pushing to big to get around normal tourist places and fit into normal parking spots.

Yeah what I have is big and I can’t just park in a normal spot but it really just means walk a little further, maybe even across the street. But you’ve hung out with me so you know I could use the steps 🤣

Speaking of hanging out, we need to do that soon!

That's a class 4 truck.... So, medium duty
I meant a REAL medium duty truck. I consider the class 4 & 5 trucks "light medium duty". I really wanted a F650 with a 6.7 cummins, c7, or 3126 and 6 speed (and tried to talk Phillip into it too lol).
Speaking of hanging out, we need to do that soon!
Sounds good to me, I still need a guide for the ranch!

I have looked into medium duty trucks for a long time. You can get killer deals on good trucks pretty regular. Fuel mileage is not that different when hauling heavy. What has stopped me from doing this before was not being able to drive it to work, I have a $500 beater ranger for that. The main thing for me is traveling. I have a crew cab f450 with a 9ft flatbed and it is pushing to big to get around normal tourist places and fit into normal parking spots.

Same exact reason I went with a f550 over a mdt or hdt.

I really wanted a F650 with a 6.7 cummins, c7, or 3126 and 6 speed (and tried to talk Phillip into it too lol).
I wasn’t against it, and would have preferred one of those motors. But this was less than half my budget and pretty nice on the inside so it was hard to turn down lol

So why didn’t you look into a good used Class C motor home? The cost to buy a diesel, repair a diesel, diesel fuel itself, and the tag to run it….

So why didn’t you look into a good used Class C motor home? The cost to buy a diesel, repair a diesel, diesel fuel itself, and the tag to run it….

We did. But the big hang up was not being able to go other places without breaking camp. We are going to be doing more than just wheeling on several trips, so if we wanted to go to some other attraction, historic place, parts/grocery store I don’t have to deal with closing everything up and driving the motorhome.

We did. But the big hang up was not being able to go other places without breaking camp. We are going to be doing more than just wheeling on several trips, so if we wanted to go to some other attraction, historic place, parts/grocery store I don’t have to deal with closing everything up and driving the motorhome.

Thats why you keep the Street Jeep around. But for the same reason you went the direction you did, I would have had to go towards a pusher or super C, if going motorhome.

Only thing I would add, at some point, to this rig, is a dump mechanism on the bed. Oh, and a tuner to make a little more power. Our duramax 5500 at work is a dog hauling around 20k.

Thats why you keep the Street Jeep around. But for the same reason you went the direction you did, I would have had to go towards a pusher or super C, if going motorhome.

Only thing I would add, at some point, to this rig, is a dump mechanism on the bed. Oh, and a tuner to make a little more power. Our duramax 5500 at work is a dog hauling around 20k.

I like to wheel way too hard for a street Jeep or dual purpose Jeep. In a few years I hope to be in a PJ, or Partially Committed Racing 4 seater, or similar. That’s what me and the wife are shooting for at least.

If I’m just going somewhere and not taking the crawler, I’ll just tow the camper with my 8.1 truck.

I may put EFI Live on it eventually, but I won’t have but about 5k on the bed at 6k behind it so I don’t think it will be that bad. I’ll know soon.

I like to wheel way too hard for a street Jeep or dual purpose Jeep. In a few years I hope to be in a PJ, or Partially Committed Racing 4 seater, or similar. That’s what me and the wife are shooting for at least.

If I’m just going somewhere and not taking the crawler, I’ll just tow the camper with my 8.1 truck.

I may put EFI Live on it eventually, but I won’t have but about 5k on the bed at 6k behind it so I don’t think it will be that bad. I’ll know soon.

Yeah, the Street Jeep would just be for cruisin around town, and dragging behind that RV on non-wheeling trips. I dont disagree with your argument for the way you went, just saying that with a motorhome you arent stuck without another vehicle. Except for when wheeling, I guess. But then there is likely a friend there that would let you borrow their truck to run into town.

But then there is likely a friend there that would let you borrow their truck to run into town.
But have you seen what Phillip does when he borrows somebody else's junk???

1653060710539.png

1653060737321.png

Speaking of, this reminds me...we dubbed this trip Rattlesnake 2020 because our boy Nakoma got a few ppl by saying "RATTLESNAKE.......................watch out for 'em"

So me & @Chris_Keziah went to see Nakoma over the weekend. We were trying to get a couple engines out of his shed and Chris bent down to move some cinder blocks so we could do some sketchy things w/ the engine stand. Well, he reached down to grab the blocks and I didn't miss a beat...."RATTLESNAKE.............watch out for 'em". Chris jumped back just a bit and we all started laughing out asses off!

Great times, boys!

Yeah but every time I have ever borrowed someone’s TRUCK, it has always been returned detailed inside and out with a fuel tank a fuel. @Curtis_H and a few others can vouch for that.

But I’ve flipped more of other peoples rigs than my own. I just like to party 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yeah but every time I have ever borrowed someone’s TRUCK, it has always been returned detailed inside and out with a fuel tank a fuel and, in some cases, with a new Alcoa. @Curtis_H and a few others can vouch for that.

But I’ve flipped more of other peoples rigs than my own. I just like to party 🤷🏻‍♂️
FIFY :flipoff2:

I guess we all have to pick and choose which inconveniences we’re willing to deal with. I’ve never mixed a wheeling trip with other vacation type things. It’s always one or the other. Haul my wheeling rig on a trailer or flat tow a daily to get around on family vacation. You’d know better than anybody what best suits your family.

I guess we all have to pick and choose which inconveniences we’re willing to deal with. I’ve never mixed a wheeling trip with other vacation type things. It’s always one or the other. Haul my wheeling rig on a trailer or flat tow a daily to get around on family vacation. You’d know better than anybody what best suits your family.

It sounds good on paper at least lol. But mostly just checking out some things near where we are going. Like if I drive my family and my rig all the way out west, I’m gonna check out other things in the area too.

Or when we go to The Ranch, there’s an abandoned ghost town not far away I wanna check out. But we are talking about going up to Rausch Creek next year and adding Hershey Park onto that while up there.
Now with talk of fuel doubling in the next month or so I’m not sure how much of these big travel dreams will be happening. I might just have a really nice setup to go down and cry as I ride around Uwharrie a few times a year 😭

Last edited:
First trip in the camper was a success. Now this weekend is the first trip in the whole setup. Looking forward to towing with this thing and seeing how it does🤞

Currently at 225k, I just changed every filter it has. Trans, lift pump filters, main fuel filter, oil filter, oil change, it’s good to go. Oil pressure sending unit should be here tomorrow as well. I’ll have it all hooked up and loaded tomorrow and will snap a pic.

I have the Edge CTS 2 and bought the EGT probe for it too but haven’t hooked it up yet. I don’t imagine it’ll be a problem with no more than I’m pulling on a stock tune but I will hook it up soon.

Last edited:
Safe travels! I will say that (unless the pic is wonky) get that camper leveled up behind the truck or you’re gonna have tire and suspension issues on the camper down the road.

Btw. yes, I’m nitpicking but don’t want you to spend extra dollhairs on the camper after you already killed it on the interior.

Safe travels! I will say that (unless the pic is wonky) get that camper leveled up behind the truck or you’re gonna have tire and suspension issues on the camper down the road.

Btw. yes, I’m nitpicking but don’t want you to spend extra dollhairs on the camper after you already killed it on the interior.
I did a double take myself. I think he has a metric ton of Jenga blocks under that corner for some reason.

I did a double take myself. I think he has a metric ton of Jenga blocks under that corner for some reason.
Driveway slopes away from the house. I'm sure he was leveling it out while parked

Yeah my drive way slopes hard there. I have (5) 2x8s stacked up to level to camper while I was working on it, packing and pre-cooling the fridge. I bought an 8” drop hitch to level the camper behind the truck.

I don't remember, is your fridge just a 110V or is it 12v for igniter and propane to run it. If the later, run your 12v constant to the fridge and let it run while traveling. If venting is an issue for the propane for fridge exhaust, you can get creative with it so the travel wind doesn't blow it out.

I don't remember, is your fridge just a 110V or is it 12v for igniter and propane to run it. If the later, run your 12v constant to the fridge and let it run while traveling. If venting is an issue for the propane for fridge exhaust, you can get creative with it so the travel wind doesn't blow it out.

It’s 110V or Propane. I currently have it on propane and plan to travel there with it on. I’m not sure if it will stay lit or not, but either way I’m only going 3 hours so it’ll still be cold when I get there.

I currently have it on propane and plan to travel there with it on.
Do a quick Google search and you’ll find tons of reasons not to travel with your fridge running on propane. It’s not designed to run while in motion. The refrigeration cycle itself is designed to only be run when sitting on level ground. I know lots of people do it. Just educate yourself on the risks.

Back