Throwing in the towel - my MarsFab buggy build

FWIW I've bought them from Rod Louvers and Sheet Metal design

I bought two sets for my Jeep that I wanted to install to mimic the FJ40 hood and fender louvers, but I get second thoughts every time I break out the body saw; so, two years later still have them sitting in the box.
After looking at that website I think I should start making and selling generic louvered panels!

Just want to give a huge thanks to @MarsFab for building a buggy that exceeded my expectations. Now it's up to me to finish it and not screw up all his amazing work.

The next couple days will be spent cleaning up my shop so I have enough room to start tearing the buggy down and get it ready for paint.

Please ignore how badly my trailer needs a fresh coat of paint.

PXL_20220104_191618805.jpg
PXL_20220104_222614700.jpg

Last edited:
We’re you able to get it all back in without many scratches?
The belly got a few, it's harder to put the entire drivetrain in with the engine hoist compared to your gantry but we got it. Absolutely a 2-person job to get in and out with the engine hoist, the rear t-case gets hung up on the belly support ribs a lot. In the future when if the engine has to come out, I think I'm going to try separating the t-cases and just pulling the engine and transmission just to see how it works that way.

It looks really good!

Slowly making progress. Hopefully putting fluids in everything this weekend to start checking for leaks. Vinyl wrap for the panels came in this week. Biggest hurdle left is wiring, @DirkaDirka875 has helped me on that but still have a bit left to do. I'm on a timeline though, our daughter is due the 24th of August, so I've got to have the buggy done, do a couple small shakedown trips and hopefully get out at least once on a big trip somewhere before the little one shows up.

Slowly making progress. Hopefully putting fluids in everything this weekend to start checking for leaks. Vinyl wrap for the panels came in this week. Biggest hurdle left is wiring, @DirkaDirka875 has helped me on that but still have a bit left to do. I'm on a timeline though, our daughter is due the 24th of August, so I've got to have the buggy done, do a couple small shakedown trips and hopefully get out at least once on a big trip somewhere before the little one shows up.
Holler if you plan a trip and want some company. Would love to see that thing in person.

Had a couple setbacks after adding fluids. Had a big transmission fluid leak that was my fault. Couple years ago when I changed from running a Sami t-case to the doubler setup, I pulled the tail housing off the transmission and I never replaced the gasket. And I just forgot about that after all that time had passed. So I had to pull the doubler and order a gasket that came in today, so I'll have it back together this weekend.

Had a couple minor leaks from a few brake fittings and a couple small coolant leaks but nothing serious.

I did get the vinyl in for the body panels. Did a couple small pieces to see how the color looked and to get the hang of installing it. The honeycomb section is painted black now, forgot to take a picture of it afterwards.

PXL_20220529_145658569.jpg
PXL_20220529_145640759.jpg
PXL_20220529_153021181.jpg
PXL_20220530_003633441.jpg

Thanks to @DirkaDirka875 for doing all the wiring. It runs and it drove on and off the trailer when I brought it home.

Here is a short video of it running

Been working on it when I have some free time since I got it back. Interior is back in. Plan to paint the dash but that will wait until this winter.

To Do list
- bleed brakes more
- bleed steering
- charge air shocks
- adjust links
- vinyl wrap body panels
- nut and bolt check everything
- put rope on winch
- verify transmission & steering cooler fans work

PXL_20220723_212201683.jpg
PXL_20220723_212138260.jpg

Last edited: