Tractor time

CLRracer

Mopar Nut
I've been kinda looking at tractors during my daily FB and Craigslist browsing for a while now, but starting to take it a little more serious given some possible upcoming plans. I've mainly been eyeing the mid to upper 20hp tractors with a front end loader because they're what's in my budget and probably all I need for bush hogging, scraping driveways, and loader things (yes I know the opinion of a skid steer for loader things and a tractor for tractor things, it's just not in the budget). Not brand loyal to anything, and not experienced with new stuff to know what's good or not. While browsing today I came across this 03 Kubota L4330. It's more tractor than I really need, but not necessarily too much tractor. It caught my eye because the price seems low for a 41hp L series Kubota, though it does have more hours than a lot of other tractors it's age from what I've seen. Good deal, bad deal, go fish? Anything in particular I should be wary of? Any reason to steer clear of Kubota in general? Anyone selling a tractor?

Duane

ill be home all weekend if you wanna come play on my pos, i'll show you some things to look for and be aware of.

B2400 HST w/loader, belly mower and box blade. 24hp gross, 17hp@rear pto
B091988E-8A05-4465-BEE7-4F9DE62F8D4A.jpeg

You're really selling it with the hood up. I thought you had a bigger tractor?

Duane
It’s not for sale, that’s where the fuel solenoid shorted and it died....2 years ago.

It’s bigger than it looks but smaller as well.

the offer was to come check it out and I’ll show you some things to look for when buying.

I really like the size of my L2501. Biggest one they sold (in 2015) that didn't have the DEF and emissions crap. Lifts about 800# max with the forks, and lifts high enough to get the bucket over the side of a (small) dumptruck. FEL is great for moving some dirt. But it's still a tractor, not a piece of heavy construction equipment, and has it's limits. I'd say I use the forks 4:1 over the bucket. My trailer is a 10k rated, and the trailer itself weighs in at 2900#. Tractor, backhoe, bucket and box blade on the forks, and I am still well under 10k. Don't get a bigger machine than you can haul as needed.

I got a B2400 also. Totally different machine that has it's purpose. (I got mine mostly for mowing.) No FEL on it, but it would be handy, too. MIne has turf tires (2501 has R4's) so is limited there when doing dirt work. I will use the landscape rake behind it, and have put the 5' box blade behind it a time or two, but with that it's limited in how much dirt it can cut and drag in a pass. Been real handy to do that a few times, like on some of my slopes. COG is way lower, and I have the wheels set as far outboard as they go. One this size is happy with a 4' bush hog. Could run 5' on more level ground and light growth, but that's pushing it.

Same offer...you are welcome to come poke them with a sharp stick.

I picked up an L4400 a few years ago. It has a FEL, canopy top, and a 6ft Woods bush hog. Had 340 hrs and I gave 18k for it. Hydrostatic, 4x4 with ag tires. The 4330 would be worth looking at. Maybe offer him 10 and see if he bites. I've never wished it was smaller. They're also deceptive when it comes to weight. I think mine is around 6000 lbs with the fel, bush hog, and loaded rear tires.

Get the biggest tractor that will fit your space, cost, and hauling capabilities (if you need to be able to move it). How much land are you trying to tractorize? Do you NEED a loader or just want one? If you dont need a loader, then you don't need 4wd, and then you can buy a nice simple older farm tractor in good shape for under $5k and buy whatever attachments you need and still have money left over.

My brother and I picked up a 05 b7800 with a loader early spring for $9g. It's 30hp hydrostatic drive. I caught it as soon as it hit marketplace though. Everything I looked at relative to that was 11 or 12g. You are welcome to come try it out sometime. I wouldn't say I am proficient with the loader yet but I have picked it up quicker than I thought I would. If you plan on using a loader even semi frequently I would highly recommend hydrostatic. I couldn't imagine how aggrivating it would be having to change gears when grading or moving piles of dirt or mulch. The forward and reverse pedals have ruined me. Mowing grass with my old lawn mower this week I kept slamming my foot down looking instinctively looking for the reverse pedal.

If you get a loader, the tractor almost has to be 4wd. If I have a load of rocks or dirt in the bucket, I can't move with it in 2wd unless I have the bush hog on the back. And it's a pain to swing that thing around trying to grade.

I have a L3210 and a L4630 both with the gst transmision . Both have given great service and have always been reliable. Both bought new and i have rebuilt the three point links on the 3210 just this year. I do a lot of bush hogging with both and box blade-- angle blade work with the 3210. Check under the machine for leaks at the trans return line to the filter. Thats really the only problem i have ever had and it was caused be running over something that damaged the steel line and it's a bitch to change. 12 thou is just a little steep for a machine with those hours as said before offer ten and see how he reacts. On the gst trans it's a shuttle shift type and full throttle forward to reverse shifts are no problem-- great for bushhog work. Run the trans thru all the ranges and check for noise. My 3210 makes a noise in 4th but it has not gotten worse and has done it since it was about a year old so i just don't worry about it. Good luck with your purchase and i'm sure it will give you good service. 1600 plus hours on the 3210 and 600 plus on the 4630.

It’s not for sale, that’s where the fuel solenoid shorted and it died....2 years ago.

It’s bigger than it looks but smaller as well.

the offer was to come check it out and I’ll show you some things to look for when buying.

I didn't mean selling yours literally, I meant selling the fact it's a pos as you called it :lol:

I really like the size of my L2501. Biggest one they sold (in 2015) that didn't have the DEF and emissions crap. Lifts about 800# max with the forks, and lifts high enough to get the bucket over the side of a (small) dumptruck. FEL is great for moving some dirt. But it's still a tractor, not a piece of heavy construction equipment, and has it's limits. I'd say I use the forks 4:1 over the bucket. My trailer is a 10k rated, and the trailer itself weighs in at 2900#. Tractor, backhoe, bucket and box blade on the forks, and I am still well under 10k. Don't get a bigger machine than you can haul as needed.

I got a B2400 also. Totally different machine that has it's purpose. (I got mine mostly for mowing.) No FEL on it, but it would be handy, too. MIne has turf tires (2501 has R4's) so is limited there when doing dirt work. I will use the landscape rake behind it, and have put the 5' box blade behind it a time or two, but with that it's limited in how much dirt it can cut and drag in a pass. Been real handy to do that a few times, like on some of my slopes. COG is way lower, and I have the wheels set as far outboard as they go. One this size is happy with a 4' bush hog. Could run 5' on more level ground and light growth, but that's pushing it.

Same offer...you are welcome to come poke them with a sharp stick.

Good info, especially about the B tractor. Tractors in my budget are falling in the newer B series or older (and smaller) L series or comparable red tractors. Haven't seen many blue or green tractors for sale locally in my price range.

Get the biggest tractor that will fit your space, cost, and hauling capabilities (if you need to be able to move it). How much land are you trying to tractorize? Do you NEED a loader or just want one? If you dont need a loader, then you don't need 4wd, and then you can buy a nice simple older farm tractor in good shape for under $5k and buy whatever attachments you need and still have money left over.

I don't NEED a loader, but to that point I don't NEED a tractor. My dad has a Massey 275 with a loader I can use whenever I want, but it's at his house. I would USE a loader enough to make it worth having IMO (I could be wrong, but I don't think so). A sub compact tractor would probably do everything I need, and if I was staying on my current property would be what I would look at. We are looking at 5 to 7 acres though so I want something big enough to handle future needs/wants too.

I have a L3210 and a L4630 both with the gst transmision . Both have given great service and have always been reliable. Both bought new and i have rebuilt the three point links on the 3210 just this year. I do a lot of bush hogging with both and box blade-- angle blade work with the 3210. Check under the machine for leaks at the trans return line to the filter. Thats really the only problem i have ever had and it was caused be running over something that damaged the steel line and it's a bitch to change. 12 thou is just a little steep for a machine with those hours as said before offer ten and see how he reacts. On the gst trans it's a shuttle shift type and full throttle forward to reverse shifts are no problem-- great for bushhog work. Run the trans thru all the ranges and check for noise. My 3210 makes a noise in 4th but it has not gotten worse and has done it since it was about a year old so i just don't worry about it. Good luck with your purchase and i'm sure it will give you good service. 1600 plus hours on the 3210 and 600 plus on the 4630.

Good info about the GST. Never used one but looked at a few vids while researching. Also agree that it seems like a lot of hours, but there's hours then there's hours lol.

Thanks for the info guys, I'm not in a rush but this one piqued my interest. I might ride and look and make an offer.

Duane

I didn't mean selling yours literally, I meant selling the fact it's a pos as you called it :lol:

Good info, especially about the B tractor. Tractors in my budget are falling in the newer B series or older (and smaller) L series or comparable red tractors. Haven't seen many blue or green tractors for sale locally in my price range.

I don't NEED a loader, but to that point I don't NEED a tractor. My dad has a Massey 275 with a loader I can use whenever I want, but it's at his house. I would USE a loader enough to make it worth having IMO (I could be wrong, but I don't think so). A sub compact tractor would probably do everything I need, and if I was staying on my current property would be what I would look at. We are looking at 5 to 7 acres though so I want something big enough to handle future needs/wants too.

Good info about the GST. Never used one but looked at a few vids while researching. Also agree that it seems like a lot of hours, but there's hours then there's hours lol.

Thanks for the info guys, I'm not in a rush but this one piqued my interest. I might ride and look and make an offer.

Duane

I did that in jest, it really is a pretty good machine, i've had it 10yrs and haven't had to do a lot to it other than maintenance type stuff. I did split it 2 years ago and replace the throwout bearing, 21years (23 years old, 1455hrs now) takes its toll. that it sits outside uncovered also attests to its durability, many times its parked end of October and not messed with again until first/middle of March and it starts right up. I converted the Dynamo to an alternator (Toyota forklift donation) when the bearings in the Dynamo seized. I ran it almost a year total loss on battery with the alternator being no more than belt tensioner for the water pump/fan belt before I reworked the wiring for the charging system to make the alternator charge battery.

You may not NEED a loader, but you WANT one. you just don't know it yet. its been the handiest thing to have around, as is a 4wd lawn mower, I never knew I needed that until I got this. and mowing 5' wide swath at a time, an acre doesn't last long.

this really is too much machine for the property I have, but I can't see getting rid of it without having something comparable to replace it with. yeah, the loader gets in the way sometimes, always gotta move it somewhere else. box blade is the same. but I have them to use at will, and do. if for no other reason...Tractor Zen...sometimes that in itself is worth the price of admission.....

You may not NEED a loader, but you WANT one. you just don't know it yet. its been the handiest thing to have around, as is a 4wd lawn mower, I never knew I needed that until I got this. and mowing 5' wide swath at a time, an acre doesn't last long.

this really is too much machine for the property I have, but I can't see getting rid of it without having something comparable to replace it with. yeah, the loader gets in the way sometimes, always gotta move it somewhere else. box blade is the same. but I have them to use at will, and do. if for no other reason...Tractor Zen...sometimes that in itself is worth the price of admission.....

Oh I definitely WANT a loader lol. I can look out in my yard and see a dozen things I could do with one right now and I'm only on an acre lot with a dozen trees. I know when I get some more acreage I'll find plenty to use it for. I've also hemmed and hawed over a belly mower vs finish mower vs lawn mower, but I really need to see how much yard we end up with before determining that.

Duane

Oh I definitely WANT a loader lol. I can look out in my yard and see a dozen things I could do with one right now and I'm only on an acre lot with a dozen trees. I know when I get some more acreage I'll find plenty to use it for. I've also hemmed and hawed over a belly mower vs finish mower vs lawn mower, but I really need to see how much yard we end up with before determining that.

Duane

come over and take a look, get an idea what you're looking for, the bigger ones are about the same

you can buy a nice simple older farm tractor in good shape for under $5k and buy whatever attachments you need

My ex wife just got back from a funeral in Illinois for her nephew who died when his old ford turned over backwards going up a small hill he had gone up 1000 times. Tractor basically wheelied and crushed him to death.

He died in front of his 3 kids and his father.

He was 41

I'll never own a tractor without a roll bar.

Now that debbie downer has spoken.......

I have an orange tractor. 25hp, FEL, box scrap, 5ft bush hog, scrape blade, and have used it every week for almost 3 yrs now. I only have 7 acres, 6 of which are 100ft poplars 10-15ft apart and a creek that's about 12ft wide that splits it.

When I was buying I had a choice of this like new 25hp and a 35hp with FEL that was a little rougher.

The size difference was considerable. And I have a lot of trees. FEL is a hassle if you have to bushhog between trees. And that 35 was THAT much bigger. If my land wasnt so heavily wooded I might have gone as large as I could have. However, I've only been in one situation where I really wanted more power/loader capacity. But that only lasted a day. The next day I borrowed a skid steer and did 3x the work in 1/8 of the time. That was driveway work though where skid steer ripping up ground wasnt an issue. Tractors are much better about not ripping up grass, and ground like skid steers and excavators.

I'll never own a tractor without a roll bar.

Now that debbie downer has spoken....

when I bought mine it wasn’t a consideration, but I’m glad it’s there, it’s also protection from tree branches.

question, Do you wear the lap belt when you’re operating the machine ?

The ROPS doesn’t work if you’re not contained inside the structure. Wear the belt.

If he’s not I may be...post some details

You can send me the info or post it here since others are interested.

Duane

I was going to say you can pick up a 50-75hp older tractor (long and ford) I find a lot with a loader for around 5000. They are 2wd but the one we use at the deer lease is 2wd and the weight of the tractor helps. Also if your going to get a tractor with rear remotes go ahead and find one with 2 vs a single.

My personal tractor is a Mitsubishi 1650 2wd and is a great little tractor for yard work and garden work.

You could get an older large tractor and a small one like mine and still be under the budget for what your looking at newer ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In WNC you can pick up a 30-40 hp tractor cheaper than a 20-28 hp tractor from what I have found. The B series orange brand runs a few grand more than the L series normally.

Ran into somebody today that said that the kubota dealer here in Sanford (Central Carolina Power Equipment) is loaded up with used machines. They're taking in a lot of trades, seems everybody is buying new right now. This is second hand info, YMMV.

You could get an older large tractor and a small one like mine and still be under the budget for what your looking at newer ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daddy has the large older tractor, that's why I'm looking at smaller ones. I'm sure his tractor will outlive him and probably me lol.

Ran into somebody today that said that the kubota dealer here in Sanford (Central Carolina Power Equipment) is loaded up with used machines. They're taking in a lot of trades, seems everybody is buying new right now. This is second hand info, YMMV.

I haven't been looking seriously enough to go to a dealer yet, but I might have to ride around to a few and see what they have.

Duane

Back