Uwharrie OHV Lakeview Trail To Be Developed

Add Gold Mine to the rotating list.

I hiked that with Scott Fields. While it would be great to get back, I never wheeled it, the hydrologist with us basically said it would be near impossible.

I never ran Gold Mine either. My first time up there was probably 2004-2005.

I miss Kodak and the double ledges on RM loop leading up to it. And when Dutch John had steps in it.

I hiked that with Scott Fields. While it would be great to get back, I never wheeled it, the hydrologist with us basically said it would be near impossible.
What is the story from the hydrologist? I thought I remembered hearing that Gold Mine was closed due to erosion/silt run off.

What is the story from the hydrologist? I thought I remembered hearing that Gold Mine was closed due to erosion/silt run off.
It's been a few years. But yes that is what I remember being discussed. Basically he pointed out areas and probable cost. I can't remember his name. He was into wheeling too which was nice.

It's been a few years. But yes that is what I remember being discussed. Basically he pointed out areas and probable cost. I can't remember his name. He was into wheeling too which was nice.
Was it Flynt? I walked it with them both.

Then forest service built a nice road through the woods. The Lakeview trail is better constructed and has better drainage than any gravel road currently in the forest, that is not any sort of "trail".
Is it open?

Last edited:
I've seen paved state highways that were not that smooth. It will be interesting to see how long that lasts and how they "maintain" it.

I've seen paved state highways that were not that smooth. It will be interesting to see how long that lasts and how they "maintain" it.

Even so, I can see that there will be a few vehicles that end up down the hill off the side of the road.

Trail is open and I'm seeing some pictures of a "rock garden".

Who went, how is it, and is this real or some elaborate April Fools joke?

It's open, saw 2 play area's. Nothing too difficult. Being new construction with fresh work, combined with the rain we had Saturday morning, it was one slippery mess. It was definitely challenging with the goose shit slippery mud. I was waiting to hear that someone went over the side.

Trail is open and I'm seeing some pictures of a "rock garden".
The video posted on "Uwharrie overlanders and personal vlog of backpack yota" shows a section of rock about 35ft long and 20ft wide that might challenge rigs on 35's but wasn't impressive at all.

It's open, saw 2 play area's. Nothing too difficult. Being new construction with fresh work, combined with the rain we had Saturday morning, it was one slippery mess. It was definitely challenging with the goose shit slippery mud. I was waiting to hear that someone went over the side.
I’m waiting for the flop onto the metal guard rail post…. Horrible design, someone will end up hurt

Yeah, they better put some guardrail up before someone drives off a smooth trail in the forest!

I’m waiting for the flop onto the metal guard rail post…. Horrible design, someone will end up hurt
Isn't that the truth. Someone is going to take those out, probably within the next 2 weeks.

Back