weldable paint, what are yall using

This has been covered in several other threads numerous times Marty

You want around 100lbs split between upper and lower spring rates. Not a firm rule.
ten for, I'll look em up

Maybe from him previously owning it?
LMBO.. I was already thinking He's either, the one that customer told me had it before him or he was going to do the work...one of the two i figured since he jumped in so early on trashtalk

7800, and not a penny less.
ok I'm really not being difficult but I'm not seeing this unless there's some magical weight added to this truck that I haven't seen yet lol, so far looks like a normal stock ext cab dodge...
what website/fact sheet are you guys going by to get those weight numbers. That majorly changes my numbers on spring rates calculations and such

Ummmm, I hate to comment here, since I believe this will be a failed and/or deadly project....

BUT....on something this important, why not put it on the scales rather than guess???

ok I'm really not being difficult but I'm not seeing this unless there's some magical weight added to this truck that I haven't seen yet lol, so far looks like a normal stock ext cab dodge...
what website/fact sheet are you guys going by to get those weight numbers. That majorly changes my numbers on spring rates calculations and such

Only way that truck would weigh anything close to 5400 is it was a reg cab short bed 2wd. Most 4wd diesel trucks are gonna weigh anywhere from 7-9k.

Go scale it. There's going to be around 4400# on the front tires and 3200# on the rear tires.

Only way that truck would weigh anything close to 5400 is it was a reg cab short bed 2wd. Most 4wd diesel trucks are gonna weigh anywhere from 7-9k.
Ok sorry, was looking at factory specs
I've weighed the fuckin thing, several times. Also it's a 2nd gen.
Dang dude chill, you act like doing an axle swap and some coilovers on a basic radius arm setup is rocket science or something. You seem upset that I'm building your project...get over it. Setting up the coilovers is the most technical part of all this..rest is nothing new to me. I've done 5 1ton rigs now on sheet metal unibody so building on a real frame is an upgrade lol. Either way, cool your jets dude

Ok sorry, was looking at factory specs

Dang dude chill, you act like doing an axle swap and some coilovers on a basic radius arm setup is rocket science or something. You seem upset that I'm building your project...get over it. Setting up the coilovers is the most technical part of all this..rest is nothing new to me. I've done 5 1ton rigs now on sheet metal unibody so building on a real frame is an upgrade lol. Either way, cool your jets dude

Not rocket science, but there is math involved.

Easiest way to get the correct springs is to install some known weight springs, and set to ride height. If you have more preload than desired, the springs are too soft. If you have less preload than desired, the springs are too stiff. Wrap your springs with blue painters tape.

Most reputable spring retailers will swap springs with you at no/very little cost.

There is also an excel calculator that I wrote, that ol jeeps has hosted on his website that does the math for you and explains things.

That link is in several threads. Getting a quality setup and performance out of a coil over starts with the right springs and finishes with tuning them. Both are rarely achieved on the first or second attempt.

Unless performance doesn’t matter.

Back on track. 2 inch scuff pad or Roloc type. Remove paint, primer then recoat....
I am not a Steel-it or other such fanboy. All that hype for a field repairable coating don't sit with this welder operator.
I get the idea but don't trust the purity of the selling point.
I also note that certain santions are against powder coat in the hammer tone and vien varieties due to hidding stress cracks on inspection for comp.

On any show level, planning would dictate all fab complete and tested prior to tear down and final coating of choice.

Last edited:
All that hype for a field repairable coating don't sit with this welder operator.
I get the idea but don't trust the purity of the selling point.
couldn't agree more, I don't trust any "paint" that's supposed to be "weldable" to not, even the slightest way, effect the structural integrity of a Mig weld especially. I will be coating the axle with that stuff per customer request/demand but will still wire wheel areas to be welded, especially where I'm widening the axle for sure

am I missing something
nevermind.JPG

couldn't agree more, I don't trust any "paint" that's supposed to be "weldable" to not, even the slightest way, effect the structural integrity of a Mig weld especially.

Weld able primer should be mostly zinc like you see on the can I use. Zinc burns off while welding. Of course you can always weld using 6010 stick electrodes and not worry about any paint...or dirt, rust, blood, etc. :flipoff2:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm actually looking forward to this custom build. I've been dying to put my fab skills to the test on a real thought out build and this is def it!

Well you had the chance to do that many times over but you quit that job recently.

couldn't agree more, I don't trust any "paint" that's supposed to be "weldable" to not, even the slightest way, effect the structural integrity of a Mig weld especially. I will be coating the axle with that stuff per customer request/demand but will still wire wheel areas to be welded, especially where I'm widening the axle for sure
Why are you widening an axle for this project? There are literally millions of trucks that came with an axle made to go under this truck specifically.

Why are you widening an axle for this project? There are literally millions of trucks that came with an axle made to go under this truck specifically.
Not my route but his. He had his plans, bought parts wants to make it happen. I stated my opinion but let the customer get what they desire if they got the funds for it.
And yeah I quit that job for my reasons. Been happier and making the best money I've ever made since doing what I love..like this project.

Back