What have you done for your health today?

Brought my bike with me for a family reunion in PA. Got a ride in this am and plan to go again Sat. Really glad i brought it.

20230615_093657.jpg
20230614_180724.jpg

We got a Y membership, wife wanted to start working out some. Did 3 miles on the elliptical and some dumbell work. Then went and swam laps for a bit. Hopefully this gets me back where I need to be and helps my shoulder.

First Pulmonary Rehab yesterday.
Just shoot me.
I will back in bed by 7:30 AM ..... it's worse the the physical rehab was!

I am not one to share my emotions very often and while I am a sensitive person, I usually try to keep my tears to myself. Sunday was my birthday and for some reason, just had this overwhelming feeling most of the day and while we were driving to my BIL house to go to the pool, I had a single thought and I just lost it. I have not cried like that in YEARS. I think just doing life and being a husband and Dad and going through the motions and suppressing a lot of my anxiety and stresses time and time again, trying to just push on through just builds up and comes out in weird ways at weird times. But Yesterday was one of the best days I have had (mentally) in a long time and even this morning, I just feel focused and like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders and I think it was from me just letting all that out. So I say all that just to say, I know there is a stigma for men to be strong all the time and just pick yourself up by your bootstraps and just keep going, but I think every now and again, we have to let it out or find a way to relieve this stress and not let it fester.

I am not one to share my emotions very often and while I am a sensitive person, I usually try to keep my tears to myself. Sunday was my birthday and for some reason, just had this overwhelming feeling most of the day and while we were driving to my BIL house to go to the pool, I had a single thought and I just lost it. I have not cried like that in YEARS. I think just doing life and being a husband and Dad and going through the motions and suppressing a lot of my anxiety and stresses time and time again, trying to just push on through just builds up and comes out in weird ways at weird times. But Yesterday was one of the best days I have had (mentally) in a long time and even this morning, I just feel focused and like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders and I think it was from me just letting all that out. So I say all that just to say, I know there is a stigma for men to be strong all the time and just pick yourself up by your bootstraps and just keep going, but I think every now and again, we have to let it out or find a way to relieve this stress and not let it fester.
Pussy. :flipoff2:

Summertime! I hate hot weather, but I don't have to take my son to school, so it gives me time to ride or walk before work. I got a Samsung smart watch for Father's Day, so i can see cool stuff like this. This morning ride through my hood.

Screenshot_20230711_063815_Samsung Health.jpg

It's just a number, but I haven't seen a "1" at the front of my weight in a LONG while.

I have been on a long and slow journey towards this since Jan!

I ran 8 miles on Sunday and the wife has signed us up for half and full marathons.

2023 has been tough, because I have had to prioritize myself....it is so easy to cheat yourself out of a workout here and there to attend to "what is important, or what needs to get done".
PXL_20230707_104540193.jpg

Keep up the good work everyone!

Stress relief for men is real.
At one place I worked, when things got to far off the rails I would walk around the building to let it go.
At another, I kept a 5 ft. piece of poop pipe propped up in the corner of the paper warehouse ..... a few whacks on a column of rolls of paper and i would be good to go.
When they shut down the place the poop pipe had a 2 ft. curve.

It's just a number, but I haven't seen a "1" at the front of my weight in a LONG while.

I have been on a long and slow journey towards this since Jan!

I ran 8 miles on Sunday and the wife has signed us up for half and full marathons.

2023 has been tough, because I have had to prioritize myself....it is so easy to cheat yourself out of a workout here and there to attend to "what is important, or what needs to get done".View attachment 400322

Keep up the good work everyone!
Hit 200.2 this morning, was over 250 in the fall. I hope to see sub 200 by the weekend.
Keep it up!

2019 messed me up with my brain injury. Then Covid finished me off.

Just now getting back to it.

Left is fall 2018 Spartan race. Right is an 8 mile 'Vertical Mile Challenge' a couple weekends ago down in Hiddenite.

BIG difference. (pun intended). About 230 on the left, 285 on the right. (Down from 311lbs... which is a LOT of freaking weight to carry around, even at 6'3".)

356421193_10106848333995868_5488080516273240633_n.jpg

But I ain't heard no bell. Inch by inch, pound by pound, mile by mile.

Getting my body back.

Last edited:
2019 messed me up with my brain injury. Then Covid finished me off.

Just now getting back to it.

Left is fall 2018 Spartan race. Right is an 8 mile 'Vertical Mile Challenge' a couple weekends ago down in Hiddenite.

BIG difference. (pun intended). About 230 on the left, 285 on the right. (Down from 311lbs... which is a LOT of freaking weight to carry around, even at 6'3".)

356421193_10106848333995868_5488080516273240633_n.jpg

But I ain't heard no bell. Inch by inch, pound by pound, mile by mile.

Getting my body back.
That vertical mile place is old stomping grounds, before the park it was mostly beer, a chance to get laid in your truck or lay the truck over on its side...

As for health, no work outs for me. Seems the doc wants to cut on my knee. Old injury and F3 made it come around.

Been practicing some grounding lately. Mostly barefoot walking. If you really knew me this is extremely rare. My feet don't see daylight in the outdoors unless it has a beach attached to it. That's like once a..... well you get the idea. I wear some form of boot doing everything except sleep.

The pulmonary rehab is still kicking my butt, but I don’t feel as bad today as I normally do the day after.
Had a trip to orthopedics last week. I had got to the point the cane I was using was as much for support as it was stability.
Both knees are bone to bone with the right being the worst (by far!)
Sooooo, two replacements are in my future ….. as soon as I loose enuff weight to make the doc and insurance happy.
But how do you exercise when you can barely walk??????
Well, two freakin’ humongous cortisone shots and OA unloader brace on each knee helps with that.
Digging out the old “ Bill Phillips - Body For Life” stuff and plugging in the knee friendly rehab exercises and walking a half a mile on a rotating schedule.
I’ll add to weight and distance as I can…… but keeping to the docs guideline.

Iron-Q this week for me at F3 Afton, so I have the lead Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday.

Today we got soaked in the heavy rain, but it’s good to accomplish something in the adverse conditions with a great group of guys.

Todays beatdown went like this:

A rainy 0530 arrived, so we moseyed a few laps around the parking lot waiting on the unnamed stragglers to commit to the train and join us. Then a

mosey to the bridge,

10 muscle-ups

10 squats

Repeato!

Mosey to the Tennis Courts, ensuring we hit every large puddle for Warmorama!

Various warmups were incorporated with different rep counts.

Gassers with 1 burpee at each of 5 lines. Oh wow, did I just say burpees? Must be the rain messing with me.

Mosey to the shelter near the tennis courts. Ahhh, some relief from the rain.

10 Dips

10 Atomic Crunches

10 hand release merkins

Repeato!

Then 10 Dips and 10 Atomic Crunches.

Then just 10 Dips.

Mosey to the ramp:

Bear crawl up

10 plank jacks at the top

Reverse lunge down

10 SSHs

Repeato!

thru the park to the other bridge,

10 muscle-ups

10 calf raises which were hold down position for a 4 count, hold up position for a 4 count, that is one.

Repeato!

Mosey to the Bleachers:

Wet metal bleachers at The Dawghouse caused a broken rib for today’s Q a couple years ago, so we didn’t do what was planned due to the meteorological conditions. We simply walked up one side and down the other.

Mosey to the Main Shelter:

Partner 1 planks on table while Partner 2 does 10 leg presses with the table loaded down with their partner.

Swap.

Then repeato!

mosey to the bridge,

10 muscle-ups

10 squats

Repeato!

Mosey to the Tennis Courts, hit any puddles you missed the first time.

Gassers running forward going out, quadraphilia coming back.

Wall sit air presses to waste a little time.

Mosey back to the Main Shelter for a pax-led Mary.

I'm still doing the same stuff with lifting. Current body weight is smack in the middle of my normal range at 207 lbs.

WFH this week, so this mornings workout in my garage:
- 4 sets of flat dumbbell bench
- 4 sets of incline dumbbell bench
- 4 sets of flat flys
- 4 sets front raises done underhand one arm at a time with a lean to load the upper pec
- 4 sets of skull crushers with the EZ curl bar
- 4 sets of tricep kickbacks

I was soaked afterwards even though I started about 5:45am. Must be the humidity.

Back