What have you done for your health today?

Getting the stationary bike a few weeks ago inspired me since I've actually used it and put some miles on it. So, last week I started putting together a home gym setup. Got the rack last week, bar and mats this weekend, and bench and dumbbells today. Honestly it progressed much faster than I expected because I'm doing this on the cheap, so I figured it would take a couple months to get it all together. I just need to find some olympic plates and I'll have a solid starting point.

20211213_193242.jpg

And now, after the kids go to bed, instead of just sitting on the couch staring at my phone, I can sit on a weight bench and stare at my phone :D

Well, I finally got my ass up, got on the dust collector treadmill and did about 18 min of just shy of a jog then dropped to the floor and did two rounds of as many sit ups as I could muster… 30 & 15. Pretty pathetic for someone that used to do a 5:45 mile and 65 sit ups in 1 min. But hey! It’s a start and I’m marking this post as a gauge to come back to and compare.

I’m huddling around this space heater this morning as if it were a fire barrel. The joys of working out in your garage in the winter 🥶

View attachment 363312
I've got a heater like this in my garage too.

I set the thermostat on it to 64 degrees, and let it run all winter since I am out there frequently. It does a surprisingly good job of keeping my garage warm. It is fully insulated though with insulated doors.

Today: Just took a 40 minute bike ride during lunch.

Last edited:
I’m huddling around this space heater this morning as if it were a fire barrel. The joys of working out in your garage in the winter 🥶

View attachment 363312
We work out at 0530 outside every morning (Mon-Sat) no matter the weather. This week was crazy, we had below freezing temps two mornings, a couple of comfy 50 degree mornings, and this morning we had rain. Kind of makes it interesting.

Today was our quarterly canned food drive workout. Everyone brings at least 20 pounds of canned food, they go in stout bags and that’s the weight we use for the workout. Today produced about 400 pounds of canned goods for a local food pantry.

0DE68266-6B0B-4177-9CA7-4D6C2B93804F.jpeg

I've been working on my health. Trying to find it! I've had mild back problems for years, which Chiropractic has keep in check. But no more. So, with a MRI, we have confirmed severe Stenosis of the Lumbar & Thoracic discs. Three are causing the main pain, being mostly collapsed & the middle one pushed out of line. Pressuring the nerve tunnel. I think it's the three somewhere between the L2 - L5. Laminectomy, will be the treatment, or repair. Will be scheduled sometime in January. Looking at a 8 - 12 week recovery! :( On a somewhat better note, I have experienced breathing problems, from a month to six weeks back. It seems to have improved over the last couple weeks. I've had chest X-ray, then echo-cardiogram, & Friday, a 4 hour chemical stress test. None of these have shown any problem. Maybe it was a weird infection. We don't know. :confused:

Some pics from today's ride. I lead a dirt church group ride most Sundays. Today's loop was Laurel Mountain and Pilot Rock near North Mills River. Pilot is nothing but rock and steep switchbacks and Rock gardens. It's awesome. My wife joined me too. Terrific day in the woods with friends.
IMG_20211226_195134.jpg
IMG_20211226_194955.jpg
IMG_20211226_194308.jpg
IMG_20211226_195144.jpg

My goal this year was to hit 200 F3 workouts in 2021. I’ve never even come close to that before. Christmas Eve I hit #200 at the 0530 workout and one of the other locations moved their workout back to 0700, so I got #201 at that workout. #202 will be tomorrow morning. I’ll be 44 next month and I feel like I’m in the best shape of my life.

I see what you did there ;)

Is this the place you are talking about?
Yes. They have some good deals and good inventory. I picked up plates from there last year along with a $1,300 commercial bench for like $200 or so (not including plates obviously)

Back