What have you done to your rig today?

New bumper. Time to save for a winch. And I guess I have to get a light bar to go in that big hole in the middle.
IMG_0417 copy.jpg

IMG_0420 copy.jpg

IMG_0421 copy.jpg

Dropped the factory skid and discovered all the t case mount bolts fell out somewhere at good evening ranch. Tapped the threads and put it back together with loctite. All horrible crunching noises are gone... Let's go wheeling!

Dropped the factory skid and discovered all the t case mount bolts fell out somewhere at good evening ranch. Tapped the threads and put it back together with loctite. All horrible crunching noises are gone... Let's go wheeling!

Front driveshaft and locker first! :laughing:

Duane

Front driveshaft and locker first! :laughing:

Duane
Front locker on order already. And another Barnes anti wrap kit for the front. I think I've got enough drive shaft parts to build a decent front shaft

Got the transfer case bolted in. Pulled some measurements and ordered my triple shifter kit from JB Fab. I then worked on making a cover for the hole I created in my floor. This will be removable so I can take the case back out in the future and also access things like the cables and such for the shifters. I traced it out in metal but I ran out of time before I could cut it out. Maybe tomorrow.

received_336118431354628.jpeg

Wife had to go to Hickory to pick up her rings from the jewelry store. We stopped by @1stgenxxx house to pick up some lift springs for the K30 crewcab on the way home. Hoping to get them in tonight once everyone goes to bed in my house.

Cleaned the inside of the new pickup. Washed the rubber mat and seat. Have a fan on it in the shop tonight to dry and will finish up tomorrow.

Last edited:
Dropped my Wrangler off for an exhaust overhaul.

I only planned on having the 3 Cat's replaced, but apparently the muffler was cracked open, and only 1 of the 4 oxygen sensors Rock Auto sent me fit. (Shame I bought them back in March, 2020...).

Then hopefully I'll pass inspection and pay a couple years of back taxes and be driveable again! Woop! Garage Queen out in town!

Played with my new shifters the other day. In the beginning everything went super smooth until I had the thought in my head. At that point, the pile did what the pile does best, break hearts and shatter dreams. I ended up having to pull the 205 back out :( I ended up having to grind some more off of the support ring and also cut a piece out of the adapter to make sure everything had clearance.

Next up is placing the shifters and hooking the cables back up. Oh yeah, that's after I get this pig of a transfer case back in it :rolleyes: did I mention that after I put the pieces on the shift rails it looks like I've got a sensor sitting smack dab in the way...

20210709_130654.jpg

20210709_130803.jpg

20210709_130810.jpg

@McCracken don't be a girl :D I pulled an NV4500 and 205 out, put synchros in the 4500, and buttoned it all back up by myself! For real though...they heavy.

@jcramsey If you'd go ahead and put a Cummins in that thing it would sit level...

Maybe you could sweet talk @iwaxmyjimmy in to partially donating a Dana 60 to the cause!

@McCracken don't be a girl :D I pulled an NV4500 and 205 out, put synchros in the 4500, and buttoned it all back up by myself! For real though...they heavy.

@jcramsey If you'd go ahead and put a Cummins in that thing it would sit level...

Maybe you could sweet talk @iwaxmyjimmy in to partially donating a Dana 60 to the cause!
Not saying it won't be done but the days of my bench pressing the 205 up and then sliding into place are over. Nowadays I have to engineer cradles and put helper ratchet straps on it to get the job done. A 4500 would be a real beast. I'm just pissing and moaning about it because I've already pulled it out more times than I count and I'm getting pretty tired of it.

Got the lift springs in the front of the K30 with @ramjo ’s help this evening. Gonna see if it settles out any before I do anything to the rear. Still need to install the raised steering arm and get some extended brake lines. Feel free to report me to the douchemobile thread if you feel the need. :flipoff2:

View attachment 352032View attachment 352031
Admit it, the new law brought out the rebel in ya

So last time I posted I mentioned there was a sensor in the way of the cable shifter. So I took a minute to inspect it. It must be to signal when the thing is in 4 wheel. I pulled it off to see that it is a bolt drilled through to hold the detent spring and plunger for the sensor. I then took the ole portaband to it. Because of my years of tinkering in the garage I knew exactly how much to lop off the top. Exactly 1/2 mm too much. Perfect :kaioken:

So after a few moments and a couple of comments from the boys on Messenger I decided to make a new one at my machine shop. Using my $1 calipers from HF I set in for a precise replacement.

received_358506368964338.jpeg

received_280742853849258.jpeg

They can't be more precise than that at NASA. Time to throw it in. Don't act like you're not impressed.

20210712_170253.jpg

20210712_170249.jpg

Lastly, I hoisted the pig back into the Jeep which I can only hope and pray is the last time. Oh yeah, those are the recalled jack stands from HF. I too like to live dangerously.

The last few moments I spent mocking up the new cable shifters which thanks to even more precision coming out of my shop are seriously at the limits of the cable bend. I believe the instructions say 12" across on the U bend in the cable. Rough estimates say these babies are 9-10". The only other option I have is to buy 60"-ers and you guessed correctly, I will be running these.

20210712_175809.jpg

20210712_175231.jpg

Back