What have you done to your rig today?

Snuck in a few minutes the other night to finish pulling the 292.

C767DCAC-3FDE-4A82-8F01-79F615BD719C.jpeg

I love that truck, what you putting in its place?

If you ever think about selling give me a holler.

Thanks...hoping to hold on to this one for a while. If things change you’ll be the first to know. The 292 will go back in for now...Just pulling to check out the internals and regasket. At some point a PO installed a "custom" push rod that appeared to be a solid push rod ground to length on both ends. That resulted in a loose rocker arm that wore out the top of one of the valves. This is where @Croatan_Kid tells me it's time for the cummins swap. (Trust me I would love to!)

It's backwards.
In case you didn't know
I had my suspicions that something was off when I pulled it...couldn't quite put my finger on it though.

Lemme know if you wanna sell the motor, unless @YotaOnRocks wants it.
Gonna keep this one for now. I've got another 292 sitting on a pallet that I would let go though. Bottom of the blocks been welded up at some point

1628001532501.png

Last edited:
Did my front leafs on today….first time doing stuff like this, I still need to connect the brake lines, and shocks tomorrow

next weekend I’ll do the rears
And so it begins...

And so it begins...
So quick story behind “LISA” I bought this for my son 10 years ago for his 16th bday as he wanted a HEEP, (paid 950) for it had a rebuilt motor( I have build sheet) anyway I told him NO off road shanannagins until we had it looked over…(sounds reasonable yes ?) anyway his sister conned him into an off-road/mud excursion….and BAM got stuck in the mud (over the hood) , as the 4x4 did not engage although the light came on….so he left it sit in the mud for a week…and He went a bought himself a new car the following week and it’s been a weekend project ever since. Mind you I’m a medical dude with less then any mechanical experience 😂😂😂😂but tween y’all here and YouTube I have tossed in a new holley carb/painless harness/fuel tank/fuel pump/and now a 3.5 inch lift and t-case drop until I can rebuilt the 231 tcase…

thanks for answering all my dumb questions

Just replaced all 4 on my f250 not long ago. Only one was semi functional. I installed Bilsteins as replacements. I've yet to decide if the extra money was worth it or not though.

Just replaced all 4 on my f250 not long ago. Only one was semi functional. I installed Bilsteins as replacements. I've yet to decide if the extra money was worth it or not though.
I thought about bilsteins, but couldn't justify the price, unless they are magic the impact to a torsion bar / leaf spring suspension can only be marginal.

Swapped in a new fan clutch on the 1500HD today, the scan tool said I was seeing 220deg. In traffic (gauge never went to 220, but AC would blow hot in traffic). Old clutch was pooched, which means my fuel mileage should probably get worse now......so I got that going for me.

AC is ice cold and the 6.0l sits at 207deg on a 100 deg. Day in traffic and AC is ICE cold all the time.

A few little things that were bugging me.

Driver's side rear speaker wasn't working, so I pulled the door panel to find that the wires had come off. Quick fix.

I didn't get the angle of the tailpipe quite right when I put it back together after the new turbo. A quick job of loosening a stainless band clamp and turning it became a little more complicated when I used my foot and broke the rubber out of the rear most hanger. Luckily, I had two stock ones laying around and fixed it pretty quickly.

Then I pulled the rear view mirror off and put some solder on the back side of the LCD panel for the compass and ambient temp display.

Next up is pulling the HVAC controls out and replacing the backlight bulbs that have shit the bed.

Little things make such a big difference once you finally get off your ass and get them done!

I was off on Monday. Went to the dump, and Home depot and I heard a tap,tap,tap from my 98 K1500 5.7 when I got home. Sounded like a lifter gone bad on the #1 cylinder. Used a broom stick to listen to the motor at idle and found nothing, it seemed to run ok. Tuesday morning it was still tapping when I went to work and I stopped at Advance and put a bottle Motor Medic in it.10 miles later it was still tapping. Went to go home after work and it was tapping when I started it. I shut it off and poked around the 5.7 and found the #1 spark plug boot was all the way off the plug. Stuck the boot/wire back on and no more tapping, I think the noise was the spark jumping to the plug, it ran the same. I had changed the oil about month ago and I dumped it when I got home. The oil was black but it did not smell like gas. I guess the motor medic washed cleaned the motor good and it's running smoother than before.

I was off on Monday. Went to the dump, and Home depot and I heard a tap,tap,tap from my 98 K1500 5.7 when I got home. Sounded like a lifter gone bad on the #1 cylinder. Used a broom stick to listen to the motor at idle and found nothing, it seemed to run ok. Tuesday morning it was still tapping when I went to work and I stopped at Advance and put a bottle Motor Medic in it.10 miles later it was still tapping. Went to go home after work and it was tapping when I started it. I shut it off and poked around the 5.7 and found the #1 spark plug boot was all the way off the plug. Stuck the boot/wire back on and no more tapping, I think the noise was the spark jumping to the plug, it ran the same. I had changed the oil about month ago and I dumped it when I got home. The oil was black but it did not smell like gas. I guess the motor medic washed cleaned the motor good and it's running smoother than before.
👍🏻

Back