What have you done to your rig today?

Drive the truck to work all last week, so nice to have it back on the road again.

Didn't work on the rig today, but tossed new sturts and a caliper on the 2003 avalon in preparation to sell it this upcoming weekend. I should have done this a long time ago, it rides damn nice now, I probably won't be pissed if the buyer flakes and a keep it.

@CasterTroy I almost got bored reading your tire washing process! So glad I don't have OCD. Pretty sure I spray painted over AOP mud to cover up the gashes in the Tacoma body after last months ride :laughing:

Used it as a wheelbarrow. Got carried away trying to clean my yard up and wound up trimming the crape myrtles in my side yard. I need to limb them up but I don't have a chainsaw right now.

Attachments

• PXL_20230416_202925507.jpg
    PXL_20230416_202925507.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 49
Set the parking brake today and I get a “pop” and the pedal goes to the floor with no tension. Right rear snapped. No workie. Ford has a handful of different lengths, and some only fit mfg dates to a particular month, and so on. Ford being Ford. Got it figured out, now just waiting on the part.
IMG_0799.jpeg

There's no chinese replacements for this carb on amazon.. Part of me feels happy about that, part of me doesn't. Looks like I'm actually going to have to rebuild it.
well its a tohatsu motor with different stickers.... so its all Japanese. its also easier to find the right part looking up tohatsu parts than mercury. But im not knocking them they are great little motors and ive considered repowering my boat with one of the newer big tohatsu motors

well its a tohatsu motor with different stickers.... so its all Japanese. its also easier to find the right part looking up tohatsu parts than mercury. But im not knocking them they are great little motors and ive considered repowering my boat with one of the newer big tohatsu motors
I had no idea! I actually found all the parts I need through this site:

I'll look around for Tohatsu 15hp parts as well to see what that brings up.

That little 15 had been dead reliable for around 15 years before I let ethanol fuel sit in it over the winter; pretty sure that was the downfall. Prior to that though I could bring it out of storage, prime the carb, and it would crank almost immediately.

I pulled the transfer case out today before work. I'll get the internals swapped over to the new case tomorrow and bolt it back in the truck 👌

20230420_125157.jpg

20230420_125212.jpg

20230420_144019.jpg

20230420_144025.jpg

Swapped some new sway bar end links onto the DD Avalon and then changed the gear lube f/r on the Tacoma/wheeler. I'm just going to tell myself that RCV grease mixed with gear lube is good for differentials and ignore it:D

20230427_152021.jpg

The first time ever for a light to come on the 98 S10. my neighbor scanned a code P0440. He told me to check the gas cap and it was loose. I turned tight and he erased the code and started it and it was fine for a few mins. Next day coming home from work it came on again so I got new locking cap and its good now since he erased the code.

Last edited:
I took the whole week off because...f em...that's why. Plus, the weather didn't look terrible, I'm adjusting to new meds, and I've got stuff I want to do, and merely because I can.

Anyway, making progress on the transfer case for my '99. Gotta tear apart the "new" one and swap the guts, but the old one is torn down and inspected. It looks better than I rightly expected it to, so I'm happy with that.

Once that's done, it's back in the truck, and mobile...I'll go give it a quick washing and get it inspected/tagged. Then it's getting a slew of new parts and upgrades. I'll probably drive it for a little bit to make sure all is well before I post it back up for sale again. I just didn't want to sell anyone a project. It'll be ready to go or modify to their liking upon arrival to its new home 👌

Of course, I'll post pictures as I get along with replacement parts and upgrades for yourns' viewing pleasure :D

I've got a PSC steering box, PSC pump, 2011 hydroboost unit (I'll swap the master for a 2500HD if I feel like it needs it), new lines, I'll probably go ahead and add hydro assist since the box is ported for it, WFO frame plates to clean it up, new shock towers, new steering arm (has springless arms on it now and they're annoying to keep adjusted), new upper kingpin bushings, cam, timing cover gasket kit, and valve cover gaskets.

I know it sounds like a lot, but it's not so bad!

20230501_143050.jpg

20230501_150051.jpg
20230501_151908.jpg

20230501_153028.jpg

20230501_153043.jpg

20230501_155545.jpg

Replaced proportioning valve in the CJ this weekend. It was painful, but now the brake juice isn't raining down the frame

The one from InlineTube worked?
Yes, all ports were the same size and overall geometry was the same. Only difference is the brake light switch is a single pin plug and my factory switch was a dual pin connector. Factory switch is different threads and length than the new one. So new switch is in, but not hooked into harness yet. Either way it's normally closed so it doesn't illuminate the brake light. And yes my 1985 cj7's brake light still functions...amazing I know...

20230502_150702.jpg

20230502_180147.jpg

Got it all buttoned up and back in the truck yesterday. Going to pull it up on my trailer in a little bit so I have a solid and dry surface to work on while I go through the front end. For whatever reason, that was the worst of it for me. The rest will go much quicker.

I'll probably have to cut a nub off the top side of the transfer case that's really close to the body. I don't remember doing that to the old 241, but that was 11 years ago.

Oh, in case anybody is wondering...the JB Conversions SYE for a 241 can use a 205 yoke. I like to run 1410 rear shafts. I just had to shorten it, reestablish the bevel, and get the correct seal.

20230501_144316.jpg

20230501_144508.jpg

More stuff today. Not as much as I'd liked, but still more.

I took off the springless steering arms and put on the normal ones with springs. They're kind of a pain to keep adjusted on something you drive on the road. However, they are definitely for sale if someone wants them!

Using the trailer as a work surface was a pretty good idea. It worked out pretty well and I needed to move everything to mow grass anyway.

20230504_182714.jpg

20230504_194225.jpg

20230504_182723.jpg

20230504_183427.jpg

20230504_192507.jpg

20230504_202403.jpg

Maybe tomorrow I'll get the steering box, PS pump, and hydroboost bolted on. I feel like I should go ahead and add hydro assist now. I hate messing with power steering fluid and making a mess every time you open the system up.

I know I'll also have to move one of the mounting studs on the hydroboost and also move the push rod stud on the brake pedal itself. Easy enough. Things are moving right along.

Back