01 Mounty on Tons!

Are you going to LS swap this thing?

Are you going to LS swap this thing?
Heck no lol. You know me I like to be different. Everyone does LS, its boring. Yes practical I agree for sure but not for me. Who know what I will do with powertrain eventually (it'll be a Fuller Fandango for sure lmbo)

Need a little front driveshaft advice.
Option 1: 52" long one piece, I'd have to modify/ redo left part of my crossmember.
Option 2: 2 driveshafts with a carrier bearing setup as I guess most would. No other mods need done.
@Chris_Keziah what you think on option 1, and if it would work that long, how thick a tubing would your place make it to hold up to length and all the torque in gearing. Thanks

Need a little front driveshaft advice.
Option 1: 52" long one piece, I'd have to modify/ redo left part of my crossmember.
Option 2: 2 driveshafts with a carrier bearing setup as I guess most would. No other mods need done.
@Chris_Keziah what you think on option 1, and if it would work that long, how thick a tubing would your place make it to hold up to length and all the torque in gearing. Thanks
52" is to long for 2", which for room is generally what you'd want. I'd have to look at the chart but that length likely would have 3-3.5" tubing. Your best bet would be a carrier bearing, just know it'll get expensive fast.

Your best bet would be a carrier bearing, just know it'll get expensive fast.
I thought so, that's been my plan all along but while studying it earlier tonight, it looked like a 1 piece would've worked.
I have a complete nissan carrier bearing shaft and a complete ford carrier bearing shaft. 1310 vs 1410 lol, but my yokes are different on the T-case and the 60 , go figure

well I can get 2" .250 wall DOM for $98 for 4ft so wouldn't that hold up no problem? Do yall carry that size?

well I can get 2" .250 wall DOM for $98 for 4ft so wouldn't that hold up no problem? Do yall carry that size?
2.5x.25 is what all of our "Rock Crawler" shafts are done with. Also you'll need a fixed yoke carrier bearing, most factory set up are slip yoke style.

2.5x.25 is what all of our "Rock Crawler" shafts are done with. Also you'll need a fixed yoke carrier bearing, most factory set up are slip yoke style.
sorry I was referring to .5 or .375 for just a one piece that's 2.25 OD tubing but still need to study the setup more. I don't think any yokes would accept 2.25 tubing that thick though, unless I got my machine guy to turn them down...

most factory set up are slip yoke style.
well I got lucky, both mine are fixed yoke that unbolt from the carrier bearing. the 1410 is from the F350 my axles came from, the other is Xterra

also will your shop make a .375 or .5 wall driveshaft that long? if so, price so I can at least keep that as an option. thanks

and no bigger tubing than 2.5, prefer 2.25 OD of the .375. That should hold up for a one piece no problem from some googling I did

and no bigger tubing than 2.5, prefer 2.25 OD of the .375. That should hold up for a one piece no problem from some googling I did
The shaft will be too long at too small of a diameter. The harmonics will be 💩.
You will need a proper 2 piece setup.
Sounds like that was your plan all along with your cross member design. Buy a good carrier bearing kit and weld up the rest with the used stuff you have around.

Sounds like that was your plan all along with your cross member design
it was, I was just trying to see all options.
The shaft will be too long at too small of a diameter. The harmonics will be 💩.
for learning purposes, so the longer the driveshaft the tubing has to be bigger? no matter the thickness of that smaller tubing?

it was, I was just trying to see all options.

for learning purposes, so the longer the driveshaft the tubing has to be bigger? no matter the thickness of that smaller tubing?

Why are the rear driveshafts on trucks larger diameter and thin wall?
Science of metals should have covered that subject :dumbass:

Yank the solid shaft out of a large hydraulic ram and run it. It's solid, true, and you'll prove them all wrong. Find an old bulldozer and go to town.

It’s all about the tubes ability to resist tearing while under torsional load. A lot of material at the center of the spinning diameter is actually weaker than having a thinner material further away from the center of the spinning tube. So a 1.5” diameter solid bar is going to be weaker than a thin wall 3” diameter tube. That might not be correct on paper but that is the principal since I am too lazy to do the math. This practice would be why long wheel base trucks have massive OD tube for shafts and thin walls to keep the weight reasonable.

A thicker wall on your tube will help resist bending/denting but in reality that is more of a function of how long the shaft is versus tube OD and wall thickness. Round tube is stronger than square tube in every way possible before you even begin typing that question. The round tube shape and material strength is higher than square tube. Good luck!

It’s all about the tubes ability to resist tearing while under torsional load. A lot of material at the center of the spinning diameter is actually weaker than having a thinner material further away from the center of the spinning tube. So a 1.5” diameter solid bar is going to be weaker than a thin wall 3” diameter tube. That might not be correct on paper but that is the principal since I am too lazy to do the math. This practice would be why long wheel base trucks have massive OD tube for shafts and thin walls to keep the weight reasonable.
Bullshit. Science of metals.

A thicker wall on your tube will help resist bending/denting but in reality that is more of a function of how long the shaft is versus tube OD and wall thickness. Round tube is stronger than square tube in every way possible before you even begin typing that question. The round tube shape and material strength is higher than square tube. Good luck!
FYI- @McCracken is being cheeky. He may act like, sound like and even look like a dumb ass. But he's actually somewhat brilliant.

Back