A TJ named Corn Squeeze 🌽

This

Yeah mine is Rusty's off-road. About the cheapest I found that wasn't shit quality. Actually the powder coating on my bumpers is outstanding. All these years later and still looks great. But...I mean I don't wheel 😎

@CasterTroy from Rusty’s Offroad?

What would cutting down the factory bumper and adding a winch plate look like...?
X2 on Rusty's. That's what we put on Cyd's jeep about 5 years ago. The aluminum bumpers on mine are broken and will likely be replaced with Rusty's f/r.

@CasterTroy from Rusty’s Offroad?

What would cutting down the factory bumper and adding a winch plate look like...?
It would look perfectly fine if that's what you want, and look like you didn't waste money on an aftermarket bumper. Many people have done it. It doesn't look as beefy or tough as an aftermarket one, but functions pretty much the same unless you regularly slam head on into trees and rocks and actually need 1/4" plate to compensate.

1621605503204.png

1621605524229.png

1621605539340.png

1621605562806.png

1621605587145.png

1621605621122.png

It would look perfectly fine if that's what you want, and look like you didn't waste money on an aftermarket bumper. Many people have done it. It doesn't look as beefy or tough as an aftermarket one, but functions pretty much the same unless you regularly slam head on into trees and rocks and actually need 1/4" plate to compensate.

View attachment 347110
View attachment 347111
View attachment 347112
View attachment 347113
View attachment 347114
View attachment 347115
I saw one done similarly to the red Jeep with black on the hood. The guy had boxed in the ends and welded up all the holes. Looked pretty good.

I know it isn’t as gorilla strong as an aftermarket one.

Most of the bumpers I am seeing require a separate winch plate. I believe I am right that a “high” winch plate keeps the winch farther to the rear than a flat one (because of the sway bar). Is this correct? But at the cost of being taller and perhaps hurting airflow?

I saw one done similarly to the red Jeep with black on the hood. The guy had boxed in the ends and welded up all the holes. Looked pretty good.

I know it isn’t as gorilla strong as an aftermarket one.

Most of the bumpers I am seeing require a separate winch plate. I believe I am right that a “high” winch plate keeps the winch farther to the rear than a flat one (because of the sway bar). Is this correct? But at the cost of being taller and perhaps hurting airflow?
That's correct. Ran a tall one on my tj. It went up over the sway nicely. Never had a problem with cooling.

Couple of things that may help someone.
Jumper locations at the Rubicon locker switch and what they do.

B1875078-623E-471F-9D0F-D21B4836FD39.jpeg

and bulbs

376E1BE7-DF50-4475-9C8D-35A999AE1654.png

Ordered a set of Quadratech round quick disco mirrors for when the doors are off. Reviews were really good and they apparently do not move in the wind due to a knurled aluminum bushing once tightened down.

125C219E-5EE5-4B78-8E87-2F2AB7004937.jpeg

Picked up my hardtop from the guy I bought the Jeep from tonight. Wow what a difference at hwy speeds!

It is SO much quieter and it honestly seems easier to maintain speed.

Hearing the radio is nice LOL

I need a stock straight TJ front bumper

Stop it man! You're gonna make me get some wax and Rubicon stickers for mine! :laughing:

Have a line on a set of 5 more Moab wheels for some trail tars.

We’re looking at winches and bumpers.

Ordered a rear bumper and swing away tire carrier from Hooke Road.

F269E272-17CB-473D-9D83-D03FF0AC3A46.jpeg

Last edited:
OK, ordered the Gen 2 Smittybilt X2O 10k with steel cable. It was 175 cheaper than synthetic. I ordered Synthetic Dyneema 3/8 rope and Hawse fairlead for about 100.

Got a tree saver, snatch block and winch stop too.

Bought the Smittybilt raised winch plate that goes over the sway bar.

All with tax from Amazon Prime was just a smidge over 700.

Winch is a few year old design has great reviews, unlike the new Gen 3 XRC which had multiple failure reports on Amazon. Being newer doesn’t necessarily mean better.

1622398605263.jpeg

I have a stainless muffler and tailpipe coming as well. The old muffler is coming apart and I’m tired of it squeaking…yes it squeaks from inside…no I can’t explain it but it does

Going to put pads on it and a 180 Tstat to let it run a little cooler down the road. It feels much more spunky just before it fully warms up.

Last edited:
I know simple builds like this are not as exciting as the real fab threads but…it’s ok.

I removed the bumpers and spare today. Cleaned everything up in preparation for the bought rear bumper and carrier and my (re)built front.

D713BC5E-8644-4DCD-8381-AA2F70D1F7BE.jpeg
BE0F9940-2D57-41BA-8036-4B4566374BC9.jpeg

15BF2E3B-B4D9-4953-8384-E91BCAFB19A0.jpeg

Smittybilt winch and raised plate will be here today so I put on my modded bumper in advance of their arrival.

I chopped the bumper that I picked up from @Lankford off about 2” from the frame and cut out end plates from the pieces left over.

A little welding and grinding and suddenly I’m @MarsFab 😄 I coated it with some etching primer and then Duplicolor Bed Armor.

64A87997-8992-4A0F-867F-0F031501F5F6.jpeg
8F83D814-B58A-4247-B182-3BA68768C3D0.jpeg

I saw this pic and nearly got excited

shine.JPG

thinking someone ELSE understood the importance of tire shine on the INSIDE of the tires as well as between the lugs.....then realized it was just simply wet :(

I know simple builds like this are not as exciting as the real fab threads but…it’s ok.

I removed the bumpers and spare today. Cleaned everything up in preparation for the bought rear bumper and carrier and my (re)built front.

View attachment 348340View attachment 348341
View attachment 348344

Smittybilt winch and raised plate will be here today so I put on my modded bumper in advance of their arrival.

I chopped the bumper that I picked up from @Lankford off about 2” from the frame and cut out end plates from the pieces left over.

A little welding and grinding and suddenly I’m @MarsFab 😄 I coated it with some etching primer and then Duplicolor Bed Armor.

View attachment 348342View attachment 348343
I actually really appreciate this simple build's like this because its more relatable, and reminds me of when things were simpler in my jeepworld.

Even though I initially said I wasn’t... I’m really considering flat fenders but they’d have to be painted body color.

My bump stops are factory, I measured them at about 3.5”. The poly Daystar type stops are 5”. Would these help to keep the bigger tires out of my fenders?

Last edited:
Well the fenders was what I was thinking. I really like the look of these though I don’t know about the durability.
Amazon product ASIN B08HYS4F4Q
1622747963140.jpeg

1622747991317.jpeg

1622748204073.jpeg

They are narrow enough to not need tubular edges I suppose.

Normal tubular edged ones are a possibility too. Just looking for now.
These seem to allow a larger tire, more articulation with low lift.
Painted body color I believe they’d look good.

Back