Bus/RV Towrig project

So functionally speaking, at this point what is the difference between this "bus" and a diesel RV?
E.g. aside from probably getting it cheaper for the end-product, is there some advantage to the bus vs RV chassis, or drivetrain?

Only some Diesel RV are built on a bus chassis.. most are not..

there a few things I have noticed.. the bus chassis was built for the road so they ride smoother and better on long trips..
EX: when I go over a bridge I get maybe 1 little bump and then bus sits level and rides smooth, other RV's hit bridge and bounce a few times before they level out.

buses were made to carry anywhere from 45 people up to 65 people.. so if you have the factory A/C or heat from the bus it will freeze you or boil you depending on time of the year and weather.

my bus states 30 year or 3,000,000 miles before I should see issues with bus body or frame..

the downfall is I have to make my bus nice, RV's come nice :)

there are a ton of other things.. but the gist of it for me.. was I could get myself into a Large RV that was mostly complete for cheap.. I could not find any Diesel RV's that even came close for the same price.

Well back on the bus again..

took nice new to me seat out and put back stock bus seat :( but did mount the seat on the passenger side so the wife or any passengers will be very happy :) also took out couch that came with bus and put in a futon for the time being as this will allow me to easily set up a bed and sleep in front when kids are sleeping in the back. wife is working on curtain for front of bus while I install screens so we can open the windows and since it is time to paint the bus I wet sanded the front and back and just need to do the sides and but will be ready for paint..

img-20111002-00040.jpg

img-20111002-00043.jpg

Ken, I'm in the process of a little renovation on my coach. I'm taking out the track and curtains from my windshield and front side windows. They are a eggshell in color and are sun blocking and are in great shape. Also have day- night shades in rest of windows if interested. I guarantee you cannot beat the price. These are insulated against hot and cold and sound! There are eight windows plus the cockpit curtains. All are in new condition,Let me know if interested.

Oh and also taking down power sunvisers. These are 42" wide and 34" drop and are black and work as new! These are on metal pantagraph arms and do not move if window is open! Let me know if interested. These will keep the sun out of Dylan's eyes!LOL Wait, that's not Dylan at the wheel!

well decided it was time to start the hardest job yet on this thing..

PAINTING..

decided it was best to break this up into different parts.. so today all I did was the rear and after doing that I realized the sides are gonna be a pain in the ass and take forever..

newpaint1.jpg

newpaint2.jpg

Why?
Prep around all the rivets or total square "yardage"? :lol:

both :)

the good news is I looked at sides this weekend and came up with a game plan but it will probably take me 2 days to do both sides.. so gonna need a nice weekend to get it done..

I am gonna try to take off as much as possible on a friday so then saturday and sunday will be finish prep /paint.

but first thing is i need to fix my gun.. had some spray issues with it and gonna to get it cleaned and looked at probably next week

Looking good so far, sounds like you are as busy as I am. I'm trying to remove the blinds and curtains ASAP. Just wanted to let you know.

yup.. also trying to get backup camera installed, re-wire tow light connector, cb installed, and need to find a new generator..

no.. thank goodness.. another great reason to paint it so people will not know it is the same bus driving around town :)

no.. thank goodness.. another great reason to paint it so people will not know it is the same bus driving around town :)

I've got a couple of cans of pink paint. You're going to Harlan, right? We can touch it up there.

You never know when you'll need to paint a cawk on the side of somebody's bus.

It's better to be prepared.

:lol:

I'm going to Windrock... you might be bored if you're at Harlan.

well I will say this if anyone ever looked close at my XJ rear axles they were painted pink once because I left my jeep in a buddies garage.. lesson learned :)

update :)

took bus to Windrock for the weekend and had some fun :)

this is on the way there..

IMG-20111103-00001.jpg

IMG-20111103-00002.jpg

IMG-20111103-00003.jpg

good news is we got it fixed and made it there and home

IMG-20111106-00010.jpg

Ken,

How did you fix it? Do you carry a spare with you? How did you get the old tire off the rim and the new tire on?

Ken,

How did you fix it? Do you carry a spare with you? How did you get the old tire off the rim and the new tire on?

AAA :)

Guy had an awesome impact gun to get lugs off, then used tire spoons to dismount and mount new tire ( I had 3 spares with me )

took about 1hr 45min from time it blew till time we were back on the road..

but after watching I will be getting some spoons and tools to do it myself now :)

Back