CNC plasma table thread! 5x10 Premier

Sounds like the same quality of parts @Mac5005 got with his buddies box buggy, might as well sell them :lol:
well if that's really true, I'm not wanting to be like that. Since they're heavy brackets, I'm probably just going to ask for shipping but I still have like 20 more of those brackets to cut once to dial in this thicker cutting so then I will post a ad for them as probably "you pay for shipping" and give them away I reckon

You pretty much aren't ever going to get perfect holes cutting 3/8 on a cnc plasma, you'll have to chase them. Those look close though.
would I be better off cutting 1/4 hole then drilling them out to 9/16,5/8 etc... chasing that 5/8 hole was not working out too well lol, it was eating up the drill bit, i guess cause it got so hot? what do you recommend

would I be better off cutting 1/4 hole then drilling them out to 9/16,5/8 etc... chasing that 5/8 hole was not working out too well lol, it was eating up the drill bit, i guess cause it got so hot? what do you recommend
Chasing holes and not destroying a bit is best with a drill press a high quality bit low, low rpms, lube oil and patience.

Chasing holes and not destroying a bit is best with a drill press a high quality bit low, low rpms, lube oil and patience.
ok I'll try that, but is there a better way to do this whole process like mentioned in previous post? i know i can just cut the brackets and drill on the drill press but trying to avoid the time it takes to measure and center the holes which would be time consuming

I agree with @braxton357 you aren't going to get great holes in 3/8 plate with a plasma. Well not anyone I've ever personally experienced.
Some better than others yes but never great.

drilling a plasma cut hole sucks it leaves an oxide layer that is hardened due to the extreme heat . Which eats most bits in seconds.

I think the recomended route is to drill small hit with grind stone then drll

I agree with @braxton357 you aren't going to get great holes in 3/8 plate with a plasma. Well not anyone I've ever personally experienced.
Some better than others yes but never great.

drilling a plasma cut hole sucks. the plasma cut an oxide layer that is hardened due to the extreme heat . Which eats most bits in seconds.
that's what I've always heard..hmm so I guess it's either don't cut any holes and take the time to mark them/drill from scratch on drill press or 2. invest in setting up a "scriber" on my Z axis so i could scribe the center at least

what if I did a "pierce" on the center of the holes...would that still suck to drill out?

The preferred way is to use an air engraver to mark the hole then drill, but the way I've done it is to just turn the torch on for half a second at the center point to mark and drill. Not that I cut parts a lot but now i just cut the hole and put it on the mill and use a carbide endmill to true the hole, it could give a shit about the hardened oxide layer.

And in addition to that - more pateince, low rpm, and cutting oil.

MudPro want away from pierced or chased holes for hardware completely. He ran his table with excruciating exactness.
Plasma bolt holes just suck unless over sized is not an issue.

Engraver, fixtures, and a mill is a great recipe. Still cheaper than a laser or water jet in small batches.

Its finally mounted
20211010_181922.jpg

Little tweaks and she's good

Depending on your 2D drafting software and your nesting software, you may have a 'marking' option. For the software packages that I used previously, it was a layer that could be turned on/off in the 2D drafting software. What it would do was create lines that the nesting software would read as an incredibly cut back current, and would just etch the surface of the part. I used it to mark bend lines, part numbers, hole centers, etc. Just something to look into. Unless you know all that too, then belay my last. :D

What it would do was create lines that the nesting software would read as an incredibly cut back current, and would just etch the surface of the part. I used it to mark bend lines, part numbers, hole centers, etc. Just something to look into.
So it does this with the torch?

i think i read earlier you are using sheetcam, if so you can put your holes you want centerpunched on a seperate layer and use the drill tool instead of the plasma tool. you just need to set up the drill tool to fire the plasma for an extremely short time. works really good.

So it does this with the torch?
Yep. The current would be cut back very low. It would etch the surface of the part with the plasma torch, leaving a fine but relatively accurate location (reasonable enough for bend lines and through-holes) for follow-up fab steps. I say relatively accurate because the positioning is dependent on the kerf of the torch head. The marking layer would run first, then the cut layer.

His machine can't control arc voltage or cutter current via the software but it could still just start a pierce and he can adjust the pierce delay in the gcode to something short.
Something like this mounted near the torch head is what it really needs.

SI FANG Scribe and Engraving Pen Air Micro Die Grinder Kit For for Glass/Ceramics/Metal Sheet,Grinding Cutting Mini Pencil Pneumatic Polishing Engraving Tool

His machine can't control arc voltage or cutter current via the software but it could still just start a pierce and he can adjust the pierce delay in the gcode to something short.
Something like this mounted near the torch head is what it really needs.

SI FANG Scribe and Engraving Pen Air Micro Die Grinder Kit For for Glass/Ceramics/Metal Sheet,Grinding Cutting Mini Pencil Pneumatic Polishing Engraving Tool
Wow coolness, thanks. I'll look into this

you just need to set up the drill tool to fire the plasma for an extremely short time. works really good.
Interesting..I'll have to play with this some. Thanks bud

Thanks everyone for all the tips and info!:beer:

Back