"Gonna do it right...maybe!!??" Fuller's new XJ build!!!

I’ve crunched numbers on doublers and underdrives to no end. I have a problem with pinching pennies to a fault. When all is said and done, you are better off making do with a stock case and replacing with JY pulls until you save enough for an Atlas. Do it once I reckon. You can spend a few hours on any social media and find numerous people enjoying themselves on a stock case. My plan is to just enjoy what have and get an Atlas in a year or two. I mean if you can’t set aside $100 a month for two years to get an Atlas this isnt the hobby of optimum choice. Haha. Just my noob 2 cents worth tho. #keyboardwarriorout

EDIT: im fully aware this post makes me a hypocrite due to my axle housing choices lol. im fully prepared for what that future holds (pending my wheeling habits). im open-mindedly going this route as I want to learn first hand a few things and attempt to try some new things with current times metallurgy

Last edited:
I looked at cutting up a 231 to use it as a doubler so save on money but.....somehow the ways that I try to save money end up costing me the same and wasting a lot time.
Quoted for truth!

I wonder if he'll divorce mount the rear case with a spud. That would explain the need for such a wheelbase stretch.
This right here, guy done it successfully on 42s for 2yrs so it will work. Key is making a really good crossmember with dual mounts for second case. I've had this planned out for while now

Plus I have 3 cases laying around so I'm good till I can do gear driven doubler

Just because you have a few chain driven t cases laying around doesn't mean you wanna replace the rear case each time you take it out. The doubler is going to add a lot of stress to that rear chain/case. 205 is a heavy bitch but it's strong as hell and fairly cheap.

or 130" wheelbase and a divorced 205!!!:rockon:

Thats pretty cool setup, but there are a number of important things they dont elaborate on, that are critical for that setup to work.

I agree. How did they magically connect the cases?

Honestly there are so many Facebook groups for 4wheeling if you post up that your looking for a doubler you can find them decently cheap or the kits to build a doubler when I was looking. I found new kits that had been on a shelf for a few years for a couple hundred bucks and found doubler set ups from 450-1200

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I almost went this route and it’s a great setup but fuller wouldn’t spend that much.

Yea I think it's pretty slick.
Where are those few hundred dollars kits at?

Yea I think it's pretty slick.
Where are those few hundred dollars kits at?

Rockcrawling classifieds
Roxkcrawlers/buggy’s/parts for sale
Hardline offroad club
Rockcrawling classifieds (east coast)
Hard core rock crawler, ultra4, rock bouncer and parts

Are the groups I look at the most some are secret so you have to have someone add you.

Why not do a gear driven divorced rear case now? Then you're done and have no need to re-engineer later.
I guess don't wanna wait forever to save for it, and I don't want divorced doubler. For now doing it for 1. I have em, 2. Me and couple I know wanna see how well it works which I'm sure many xj owners might want to see it through as well. But those are my 2reasons for now.

So are the 3.5" bushings supposed to look like this or did they give me wrong bushings
(Gotta say these 1.25 heims are straight BEEF)

Attachments

• IMG_20180226_172056225.jpg
    IMG_20180226_172056225.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_20180226_172044390.jpg
    IMG_20180226_172044390.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 206
So are the 3.5" bushings supposed to look like this or did they give me wrong bushings
(Gotta say these 1.25 heims are straight BEEF)
You need some tube to put the bushings in. Or maybe I don't understand the question.

I did one of the 231/300 doublers in my old MJ. I was happy with it and it never let me down. But there's no way I'd do a 231/231 or 231/241 setup. The added torque will be tough for an aluminum case to withstand.

231/205 would be a pretty good setup or just pony a little more for a NW Fab econo box.

Or just quit being crazy and flip a 300, save some money and put gears and outputs in it

You need some tube to put the bushings in. Or maybe I don't understand the question.
I mean like how the bushings don't fit the whole sleeve..is that the right way. Thanks

The 2.5bushings cover the whole sleeve but bigger ones don't..so it's just how they come

Oh, I see what you mean. Yes - that's how I've seen them come. The only difference for the wider bushing was a longer sleeve. I've also pulled bushings out of leaf springs that were set up the same way.

Back