Project Piggy Bank - 83 FJ60 Landcruiser

Lil joking around there friend I spent today on the axle wrap bar and a battery box and lots of bolt checking.

Tomorrow I have to do some wiring, fill axles w grease, plumb a PS cooler and clear a path to the trailer. :)

Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut. Suspension does really well. Very stable and lots of flex. Only problem I had was when the driver side rear axle broke! Fawkin c clips!!!

Took about an hour of winching to get out.
ResizedImage951415578624940.jpg

Last edited:
Semi float rear shaft wanted to drift out. Took a big ratchet strap and held the tire in and winches straight up and out of the trail. When I finally got out my buddy's had to get a photo.
ResizedImage_1415554448284.jpg

Normally id say that sucks but in your case its good just to be back out on the trail again and if the axle was the only major problem on its first time out after major surgery then good job.

Buckeye Performance Inc.
offroad fabrication
drivetrain/differential service
828-779-2242

Yeah no problems. I've been beating on those stock shafts for 4 years so i guess i was due.

I had a PS leak at the adapter fitting. I fixed it with some thread tape. Had two flat tires, but it seems to happen every time out.

I do need to relocate the upper front shock mount more inboard because the tire would barely rub at full droop.

Just now finding the time to fix the broken axle. I knew the seal was shot but after I got to looking the bearing is too. Also mangled the backing plate pretty good. Parts ordered. Planning to fish out the other end of the shaft tomorrow.

IMG_20141221_171136948.jpg

IMG_20141221_171127221_HDR.jpg

For the time being a stock reolacement, I got it with shipping for $60. Don't have enough in the piggy bank for chromos. I'd would really like to find a deal on a FJ80 full float.

I remember those days of breaking a c-clip axle and it sucks. I think I broke 2 or three sets before going to chromo rears in my old fj

Looks good all ive got to say better be looking for chromos more traction meens more broke parts:bounce2:

Hopefully sometime soon! I've got to adjust my timing and chase off an electrical gremlin. It will not start easily when warm and then it acts like the battery is dead.

Starts and runs like a dream! My starter was failing. I put new terminals on also. It took a while to narrow it down.

Wheeled some stuff while working on some trails at the SHOP a couple weeks ago.

So what do you do when your rig is working fine???

Well take it apart and wrench for the sake of wrenching!!!

Just brought home my next upgrade: full float disc brake FJ80 rear! Thanks again @Pless

IMG_20150826_194403945.jpg

Last edited:
I think the third will still work but the shaft splines are different from a 60 to an 80. May be as simple as a spider gear swap. Also pinion spline I think differs as well between the two.

I think the third will still work but the shaft splines are different from a 60 to an 80. May be as simple as a spider gear swap. Also pinion spline I think differs as well between the two.

So could I use the 60 yoke on the 60 pinion in the 80 third?

I plan to utilize the 80 caarier in welded form, so I'm not concerned about the axles shaft splines working from the 60.

I am excited about being able to raise the abuse level on my rig!

Back