Project Steampunk Vol.2

What they call an A-mock?
Nah, that's a 90* hammock. A bridge hammock is closer to the rope style you would have in your yard with spreader bars....but less tippy. Only drawback is most are rated at 250lbs so if your a plus size model your options are very limited. My good friend just finished the PCT using a hammock.

Nah, that's a 90* hammock. A bridge hammock is closer to the rope style you would have in your yard with spreader bars....but less tippy. Only drawback is most are rated at 250lbs so if your a plus size model your options are very limited. My good friend just finished the PCT using a hammock.
Sweet!! Reason #474 I've got to head up to Mars Hill soon and hang out.

What are you doing next weekend? I need to set up my front 60 gears. I plan on heading up to Morganton NC (not that far from you) to do this. I'll introduce you to some badasses. @Paul @upnover

What are you doing next weekend? I need to set up my front 60 gears. I plan on heading up to Morganton NC (not that far from you) to do this. I'll introduce you to some badasses. @Paul @upnover

'Dre has been to da hood in Morganton before...

let me know when you plan on being here
It'll be coming up soon. It's obviously weather dependent. I'll give you a call a few days in advance.

Went over to some friends' house to take a 50+ year old oak tree down.
Who was there?
Dieter. Stuyck company's old powder coater.
IMG_20170805_175509443.jpg

IMG_20180813_161655049.jpg

Jeff (CNC programmer and manager over powder coat and sandblast now)
IMG_20210116_125512770_HDR.jpg

Smittybilt is working just fine.
IMG_20210116_134241304_HDR.jpg

Tree fell on the Jeep.... Fuck it. Where's my hammer?
IMG_20210116_134258633_BURST000_COVER.jpg

IMG_20210116_135138385_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210116_125825641_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210116_175038396.jpg

Last edited:
That oak would make some nice firewood next winter.
I've got about 4-5 more full trailer loads to bring back here. The load I hauled yesterday was probably 800#. Jeff and I are splitting the bounty. Half and half as long as there's room to stack/store it. Both of our saws quit yesterday or we'd have it all cut up already lol. He loves outdoor cooking almost as much as I do and with chef experience. Needless to say, there's gonna be some hella cookouts being held later this year and probably into next.

I've got about 4-5 more full trailer loads to bring back here. The load I hauled yesterday was probably 800#. Jeff and I are splitting the bounty. Half and half as long as there's room to stack/store it. Both of our saws quit yesterday or we'd have it all cut up already lol. He loves outdoor cooking almost as much as I do and with chef experience. Needless to say, there's gonna be some hella cookouts being held later this year and probably into next.
If you need some help in exchange for a truck bed load shoot me a text.

If you need some help in exchange for a truck bed load shoot me a text.
Alright. If you have a good working chainsaw and nothing to do Saturday, then definitely.

Keeping the wrench-fest life going.
My new junkyard 1410 SD driveshaft has been great. The breakages I've endured in the last few months have taken their toll on the NP205 rear seal and/or bearing. Resourcing my spare parts cases for the bearing, and opening up Amazon boxes of 205 seal kits to stop this irritating leak. Cold beer, cold nights, wrench parties in the backyard. Who still does this? It's starting to feel very lonely.
IMG_20210118_184647132.jpg

Yesterday I did a full strip down on the 60 front, all but unit bearings obviously, just because I fully intend to head up to head up to Morganton to finish my gear install. Fuck doing it alone in my back yard.
IMG_20210117_150620794_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210117_150228926_HDR.jpg

Got yet another parts list to order for miscellaneous 60 stuff.
IMG_20210117_150305393_HDR.jpg

The more I poke around, the more I find to upgrade and replace. That's the Jeep life. Again, it's starting to feel very lonely out there.

Here's a few miscellaneous things I've done lately. I haven't spent hardly a dime on the Jeep aside from gas money. The front axle is still stripped down until I can get around to doing the gear and spool install.
I noticed last time I used the winch that the 90 degree fairlead mounting plate is prone to bending under off-angled load. I remedied that by adding 45 degree gussets to stiffen it up some. While doing that I also used them as mounting tabs for some front facing LED lights, which will come in handy for trail use. Normal headlights shine straight out, rock lights shine straight down. I wanted something in between.
IMG_20210125_124007111_HDR.jpg

I also did a few reinforcement gussets on my rear bumper. As it was, the bumper was only secured to the frame by the 8 factory mounting bolt configuration. Any heavy pulling or snatching I did was starting to fatigue the factory frame tabs, so I welded gussets from the bumper directly to the frame. And I also added some 3/4 D-ring tabs that I had just laying in a box.
IMG_20210125_123752200.jpg

IMG_20210125_124028792_BURST000_COVER.jpg

It's great not having an expensive list of things to buy and being able to enjoy just driving it.

Using E7018-1s. The D-ring tabs are 3/4" thick A572 steel, heavily beveled and multi passed welded to 5/16" base metal. 100 amps DCEP.
IMG_20210124_115611305.jpg

Awesome! I feel like if I did that I would have some undercut issues bothering me. You tap the amps down a tad for this and hold a super tight arc?
I kept the same amperage, just on the last pass I clamped up an 1/8" rod. The ones beneath it are 3/32". All 7018

It's a heavy metal thing...

Picture this.
A typical rainy night in late January 2021. Columbia SC.
5 days ago today, the heavy metal Gods themselves blessed me a new album. The name of the album is Leviathan. This is the 17th studio release by Therion. This particular album welcomed a special guest. None other than Nightwish lead guitarist, singer and songwriter, Marco Heitala himself.
2025_artist.jpg

He has officially joined Christofer Johnsson and the legendary ranks of Therion. The lords of opera will live forever.
f7f34ab59d4a419670daf6f53ffc6703.jpg

This is a phenomenal time in the world of symphonic metal. Ours prayers have been answered.
In other news, I'm building another Ford NP205 to replace the one that's currently in my Jeep. Not that there was anything wrong with it, but since I have the luxury to bring it into work and sandblast it on lunch break, may as well. This one is out of my friends '78 Bronco that I got for practically nothing just for pulling it in the rain.
IMG_20210127_185733857.jpg

Also got a seal and gasket kit waiting for it after I sandblast and paint it, just chilling here on my backyard shop table.
IMG_20210127_191819768.jpg

Last edited:
Are you going to shave the top, to allow it to clock up higher?
I don't plan on ever clocking it. I use the wedge top for a torque mount similar to how it was in factory trucks. The fact that the bottom of the transmission hangs down two inches farther than the tcase does makes clocking the 205 seem pointless. Plus then I'd have to modify the shifter. I'd also likely have interference between the front driveshaft and the clutch arm as well. My belly is not flat by any means. With the transmission hanging down as far as it does, it would be impossible to get it all flat anyways.

I don't plan on ever clocking it. I use the wedge top for a torque mount similar to how it was in factory trucks. The fact that the bottom of the transmission hangs down two inches farther than the tcase does makes clocking the 205 seem pointless. Plus then I'd have to modify the shifter. I'd also likely have interference between the front driveshaft and the clutch arm as well. My belly is not flat by any means. With the transmission hanging down as far as it does, it would be impossible to get it all flat anyways.

All very true. Forgot about the 435. I am running the same hunk of iron.

BTW, American Iron is looking into offering 3:1 for the 205 again. Doubtful it will make sense financially, but he is trying to see if there is interest.

BTW, American Iron is looking into offering 3:1 for the 205 again. Doubtful it will make sense financially, but he is trying to see if there is interest.
I remember about 10 years ago LoMax offered the 3:1 for GM205s.
I'd love to see a 3:1 for a Ford 205. I'd be interested in it if the price range was sub $800.

Link to said info? I looked and did not see anything.

I remember about 10 years ago LoMax offered the 3:1 for GM205s.
I'd love to see a 3:1 for a Ford 205. I'd be interested in it if the price range was sub $800.

Agreed. I will do a NWF Black box if it's more than that.

The time I've spent so far in 4-low has been pleasant back when I was 3.73. I'm 4.56 now. This is my crawl ratio now with 4.56 crunched in.
Screenshot_20210129-112459.png

Also having a weighted flywheel helps. It's very hard to stall in granny or reverse even in 2wd.

Back