Project Steampunk

Yeah, but because aluminum is so light, a pound of aluminum is like a pound of cotton candy :bounce2:

You need a TJ tank by chance? It's free before I toss it, someone threw it in my work dumpster full of fuel with the OEM skid plate

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Nice! If you think I might have something you need let me know.

I was going to ask if you have spotted any Copenhagen mint at a tobacco supplier near you. The stores up my way just started restocking it. I'm good to go!
Here soon I'll be doing some cruising on the Lynches and Peedee. I'll be stopping by to play.

Some of that here I think. I'll check next time I'm there. Tomorrow or the next day.

Neither lead nor welding the diff is a good idea long term, but I'd much rather heat lead in an old pot and pour than trying to clean and weld oil soaked hardened metal. I'm going the lead route until I can afford a detroit. The link below shows how quick the process is.

Ive been running welded / welded for 8 years with no problem , but that is behind a 227K mile engine that was 96hp from the factory

Just make sure it doesn't have any chlorine related chemical additive.

Matt

I'm reading it as more of a concern mixed with the shielding gas of the Tig or MIG process. I haven't used either. I know the flux coating on stick electrodes emit it's own toxic fumes and I safegaurd myself accordingly.
Thanks for the tip though. That's exactly the information that should be included for anyone interested in similar procedures.

It has more to do with the chlorine components in the cleaner.

Just make sure you use non chlorinated brake cleaner.

Could also use acetone or mineral spirits. I prefer to finish with acetone as it's guaranteed to make nearly anything else evaporate fast.

The burning of the chlorine components creates the phosgene gas.

Not the mixture with argon.

I'll have to do some ingredients reading on my cans when I get home. I used the carquest brand this time. I made good and well sure the chemical was dried before I struck an arc to it and on the last application of it I made sure the welds were cool to the touch. This is all really good to know. My use of a respirator came in more handy that I knew.
Thanks everyone. :beer:

The chlorine components absorb into the porous surface of the metals and then burn off during welding. It's worse, the more porous the surface is, and the more areas that can trap/pool them.

Edit: just finished reading your above post: Another way to protect your self is a good p100 respirator that helps to block the chlorine components and other VOC particulates.

Just make sure it's p100.

Cadmium is far worse, and hexavalent chromium is just as bad, and worse than the fume plume off the burning flux.

Check out millers, it has the largest filter open surface area so it doesn't get clogged nearly as fast as 3m, and fits under any shield.

a32a50f7570473c8444fb1b5537786ac.jpg

Affirmative ghost rider.

I better not be done before you tho! Lmao jk aside, looking awesome man

Well... Not much progress on the Jeep lately.

I spent the better part of the am hours at MUSC Charleston with my father getting an extensive hip replacement operation. On one of many sleepless nights over the last week I anticipated getting lucky enough to get a few hours of wrench time in on the Jeep today as part of my relaxation therapy after sitting bedside in recovery with my dad who made it through surgery very well. The biggest concern going into surgery was that a 63 year old man would absolutely have to quit drinking weeks prior to surgery for risks of not surviving due to DTs. A 45 year alcoholic did not find this easy, but it happened.
Still a long way to go but so far not nearly as brutal as being there with Mom while she battled stage 3 breast cancer for two years. She survived to be happier and healthier than she was proceeding diagnosis. Dad will do the same I feel very confident.

One hellacious storm swept through Columbia starting minutes after I get home.

It didn't fancy I get any work done today so I took a much needed nap instead. That choice wasn't all mine appearantly.
View attachment 244973

Glad your dad did well. Do not hesitate to text or call if you need something. I was thinking of you this week but have not reached out. Hope all are doing well.

I'm busy getting my gear ready for a long brim, catfish and striper season. Camping gear is on perma-check but the fishing tackle needs a restock. And I'm terrible at remembering to order Jeep parts.

You have to admit, that's a solid excuse.
Very solid excuse! Only thing that compares to 4x4 is fishing...

I could stick weld a bus driver to a 5 gallon bucket.

(No offense to any commercial drivers with passenger endorsements, or buckets)
Can you stick weld my center to my tubes in the jeep? ;)

In the next year or two when I do my swap on the ghost you will be in a wealth of Chocolate Stouts, Mango's and Baked Potatoes if you are willing to come help! Cannot wait to see this on the trails. If you get it done by July you should come ride in Harlan at the NAXJA Crawl.

Back