Project Steampunk

RBD rig #4 is getting prepped. Jason Chancey would like to play.
View attachment 257912

I've decided to put a bookmark in Steampunk atleast until early December to focus on getting the village rigs up and going.
Before anyone panics, it's 98% complete. The next person who asks me if or when Steampunk is going up for sell can go fondle themselves.

2018 is going to be a rowdy year.

Couldn't help but notice your buddy found some big rocks to play on :( Maybe some axle work involved? (starts at 1:16)

What is that giant machine in the background with 3 rollers? Tube/sheet bender?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know how long it took me to mount my old set of 8 bolts so I couldn't imagine doing 24 bolts! Are you OCD like me and actually torque them? Or do they get a few dugga-duggas from an impact? :D

Well, they DO have three times as many bolts as my old set. I figured with only eight bolts, I should probably put them together like they were supposed to be assembled. Never had any leak issues and I had a metric fack ton of o rings for them, which was nice.

Well, they DO have three times as many bolts as my old set. I figured with only eight bolts, I should probably put them together like they were supposed to be assembled. Never had any leak issues and I had a metric fack ton of o rings for them, which was nice.

The 8 bolts were a shitty design though. They have 2 tapered cones that fit together at just the right spot on a little lip for the oring, that will never stay. 12/24 bolts have 2 flat surfaces with an oring groove in the back. 8 bolt design is definitely stronger, but a bitch to seal up without a few tricks.

It took me forever to put together a set of 8bolts i had, with no inserts. Took no time to do the 12/24 bolts.

That's true. I forgot about that!

2 of mine leak. They are 8 bolt ones. One I know is the valve stem. I'll try and new core once I find them..... My spare leaks too. I have not looked too closely as to why the two I don't know why they leak do leak. Maybe one day I will. Right now I have a R&P to get fixed.... Looks good when you going to drive it?

Are those metal valve stems standard on those or did they get added? Yea I've been waiting for a picture of the "tree house" from the ground.....

I ordered parts for my 12 bolts from sax hummer parts including 4 new valve stems just like the ones in the tan wheel picture.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You won't be able to add airsoft bbs through the valve stem. The hole is too small. Standard bbs work but be careful with pulling the valve cores to air down. They will shoot out at you on occasion. I had a set of 12 bolts that I completely rebuilt with new studs, orings, valve stems, etc. They looked great but I had the hardest time getting them to seal.

You won't be able to add airsoft bbs through the valve stem. The hole is too small. Standard bbs work but be careful with pulling the valve cores to air down. They will shoot out at you on occasion. I had a set of 12 bolts that I completely rebuilt with new studs, orings, valve stems, etc. They looked great but I had the hardest time getting them to seal.

I always run a bead of silicone in the oring groove or coat the oring with it, when i am putting them together. Let it tack for a minute and put them together.

We always used the most nasty stinky axle grease and coated the ring and both wheel half faces. Seemed to always work. The bitch was the stupid 1 piece rubber runflats. Those things can kiss the darkest part of my ass!!

That just gave me mildly unpleasant memories of Iraq...was at the motor pool, changing tires on one of my M1026's, and I can smell that nasty ass grease, amongst the stench of the Wadi coming up on the breeze...also flashes of ratchet straps pulled dangerously tight, lots of cussing, sweating, pissing and moaning while wrestling that stupid damn runflat inside each tire... then finally popping that strap off and hoping to god (or would that be allah over yonner?) not to lose a finger/hand/eyeball/earlobe. Good times! Thanks for that! :D

I've pulled my share of those run flats out at the hobby shop. It's not something to be proud of, but I got where I was pretty good at it.

That definitely is the nastiest grease known to man. It'll probably give my unborn grandchildren some sort of disease not yet known to science.

I run the magnesium cut down. I tried a PVC once and they broke. I hear the new ones are much better. As for the o ring I coat them with grease too.

Yeah im pretty confused. Did Diners Club push OP over the line?

Yeah im pretty confused. Did Diners Club push OP over the line?

Maybe if this were in general chit chat then who cares. If someone wants to keep their own build thread all tech and info then that’s their call.

Why dig up a post from a while ago just to ask about master card in search of likes? This might be one of the better/detailed tech threads minus CutlerFab and a few others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And then there's always my beloved aluminum stick. I'm scarred for life.
View attachment 261012

Could you explain aluminum stick? How did you get them to look decent? I've seen the rods at the supply house but never bothered to pick any up. Ive always read that they welded like shit and werent worth messing with. That picture has me rethinking that stance though.

Back