Rutherfordton Nc Ford 8n retrieval and Resurrection. I hope!

So it died mid rip. Battery was dead. I jumped it off and as soon as I took the cables off it tried to die. Bad alternator I assume. Would that cause the stumble and rough running?

That tractor should run even without a battery, all it should need would be a charge to start or even a bump start. I've not read this whole thread to see if you've modified any of the electrical system that would need a charge to run though...

That tractor should run even without a battery, all it should need would be a charge to start or even a bump start. I've not read this whole thread to see if you've modified any of the electrical system that would need a charge to run though...
Yes the alternator isn't charging apparently. Plan to get one today.

New alternator. Hate the bracket. Apparently they just clamped the alt in the generator bracket. Can someone confirm on this alt pole 2 goes to hot and pole 1 to ignition switch? Dumb self didn’t take a picture.

Attachments

• 2C394B38-462C-4B08-9151-10563C548E58.jpeg
    2C394B38-462C-4B08-9151-10563C548E58.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 92
Glen, I think this thread is awesome makes me really want to buy my uncle's 8N, I looked it over a couple of weeks ago and feel pretty confident that it would fire up with fresh gas and a battery. It's been sitting for ~5years or so but has been kept under a roof for the past 30+yrs. Unfortunately, I just cannot justify the time, money, or effort knowing damn well I don't need a tractor on 1/3acre in the city :). Gratuitous plug, if anyone is interested there are a few more pictures here as well as a couple dozen on my phone.

Attachments

• IMG_3603.jpg
    IMG_3603.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 89
Ok good news bad news. SO yesterday when I was testing the alt it got hot. Steam out the cap hot. I think the tension was off and the fan was slipping at higher RPM. So today I found the adjuster and made the belt tighter. So when I went to test it this afternoon what was running rough. I talked to my neighbor and shared the story. I think the intake gasket got messed up. He suggested spray carb cleaner around it. Sure enough rev's leveled out. Looks like the gasket let go on number 1. 1 step forward 2 steps back.... This thing is as bad and good as jeeps..... ugh.

So I went to the local tractor guy, Helms, and got a intake gasket yesterday. Put it on this afternoon. The one I pulled off had no holes. Got me worried. Torqued the 4 nuts and fired her up. As soon as it was warm it started struggling. I think the intake is warping when it gets warm. Am I crazy or could that happen?

Double up gaskets and see what happens?
I might have to try that. My neighbor sent me this picture. It’s at the local steel recycler.
D4D75606-C1EB-41D7-AA03-A09537D5F8AF.jpeg

She said she wanted $350. I’m probably going to scrap some xj’s to get it and part what I can’t use. We both think $350 is a little high. My exhaust is junk and that one looks much better. He said he thought it had a newer intake.

Looks like you need a friend with a mill

Yes that was suggested by another friend I was talking with.

May as well blast it and jet-hot it while it's apart!
I assume blast means media blast it. Jet-hot?

My plan is to go get a carcas and take it to scrap and see what it brings. While there I'm going to check that tractor over good.

So scrapped and xj with two Trudy 5 rear axles and front and all kinds of scrap. A little over 1700 lbs. $120. $.07 sucks. However I need to get rid of a few Jeeps. I looked over the parts tractor while I was there. It’s definitely older. Someone on FB said it looks like a 2N.

014912BA-BC43-46A7-8A89-73B9B5AB490D.jpeg
9862B676-AFE0-4E8D-95E4-854AA3CEC39D.jpeg
9148AE18-A37D-485A-92B4-98902B179A14.jpeg
509CE953-BE81-407B-B335-81D6EF367C5C.jpeg
F85E6E0E-8C40-4CF5-B763-754EB7C35736.jpeg
A8DADF3D-F229-40D2-8D34-FB3BA6ADE178.jpeg
DE51B759-165B-411F-B913-E4BC34E6E440.jpeg

So scrapped and xj with two Trudy 5 rear axles and front and all kinds of scrap. A little over 1700 lbs. $120. $.07 sucks. However I need to get rid of a few Jeeps. I looked over the parts tractor while I was there. It’s definitely older. Someone on FB said it looks like a 2N.

View attachment 372204View attachment 372205View attachment 372206View attachment 372207View attachment 372208View attachment 372209View attachment 372210
I am getting lazy as I get older....this thing just looks like junk to me. If you were in need of a couple pieces, I guess it makes sense....but that looks like something I would struggle to justify dragging home if it was free.

Judging by what I see left of the rear wheels looks like a 2n or a 9n, easiest way to tell, 8n had a 4 speed trans, 2n and 9n had a 3 speed

Judging by what I see left of the rear wheels looks like a 2n or a 9n, easiest way to tell, 8n had a 4 speed trans, 2n and 9n had a 3 speed
This one has a 3 speed that I remember seeing.

I am getting lazy as I get older....this thing just looks like junk to me. If you were in need of a couple pieces, I guess it makes sense....but that looks like something I would struggle to justify dragging home if it was free.
Well I paid $225 for a wheel and tire to get mine rolling. An intake is ate least $60 and the exhaust on that one looks new. Mine isn't. The rear links are $40 - $60 at Tractors Supply. One of mine is toast and welded together. I'm working on getting rid of some scrap to pay for it.

Well I paid $225 for a wheel and tire to get mine rolling. An intake is ate least $60 and the exhaust on that one looks new. Mine isn't. The rear links are $40 - $60 at Tractors Supply. One of mine is toast and welded together. I'm working on getting rid of some scrap to pay for it.
It’s worth it

Ok so swapped the intake over. Took the links I needed and the exhaust. Once everything was done I fired her up for some more ripping in the back. Ran great for a while. After she was warmed up and hot it started sputtering and eventually died. I llimped it back to its parking spot and gave up for the day. Of course it was 7 or 8 oclock by then. At some point today I'll run her again till she dies then start checking things like spark and fuel flow. This intake definately seemed to help. It is not perfect but the intake area looked good. The two outer exhaust ports showed signs of deterioration.

Back