Stock class XJ build.

We have replaced 5 trailer tires. :(

But we are making progress

43f2ee872125ba6c3b95e06f1f21ea33.jpg
e718d552d2ee1e4344f1c2c3c4c52097.jpg
84433ab91294c965872dca5ebf7bc6ef.jpg
58a039762e04ddacbdb0f07245f0b82e.jpg
cd28086c0c94084adfbb651467962687.jpg

Good luck guys! I had a blast out there last year. It's best just to stay drunk the whole time so the 5AM bro dozer train horns wont bother you as much.

Stay safe and have an awesome time!! Looking forward to more pictures along the way! Took a trip last summer with our camper. All the tires were well within date code and looked awesome but after losing the 3rd I gave up and bought 7 new ones (6 plus a spare) and rolled the rest of the way. Trailer tires suck. FWIW stay away from good year trailer tires. I’m running Carlisle and they have been great ever since.

Happy to say we passed tech and will be racing on Thursday.

I kept loosing tires on my trailer. Found out one of the u bolts was over tightened and tweaked the tube. It's got a new axle and doesn't eat tires now. GL! I'll be watching.

Good luck I'll be yelling from the couch for ya!! been trolling the live feed making beach boys cry with my #Eastcoasttakeoverkoh2018! :D

How many guys on here racing koh this year?? #4410 #4620 #4820 is that all? Gotta make sure I'm not forgetting ppl lol

What a great experience. We had a lot of part failures: Track bar, tie rod, 3 driveshafts, transfer case shift cable, rear bumper stops toast, rear shocks toast. Etc

It was still AWESOME and I loved it.

Thank you to all my support and help along the way.

Especially my wife Jessica!

4620 made it 48 miles without any outside assistance. Even with all the issues. #koh2018

#lonerider #loneriderbrewery

Race recap:

We spent multiple days prepping the rig,test runs in woops on trails etc. It worked great. We utilized ruff stuff on site and built new bump stops and it felt great in practice.

Race day. Woke up felt great, lined up. We were 133 of 137 to start. Got to the lined and took off all felt great until just after mile 1 and the axle side bolt from Trac bar was missing and Trac bar fell out. Not sure if it broke or what. Checked all the bolts we had and they were a little too short. Randal in 4820 blew his radiator on mile 2 so he stole a bolt off his rig and ran it back to us.

We got it all back together and headed on. Got to mile 8 or so and rear bumps and rear shocks we're toast so it turned into a rough ride. Made it to pit 1 and the guys checked all the bolts, lugs etc and we took off.

Made it 2 more miles and tie rod ripped out. So pulled to the side and got out. Took us 2 hrs to rig up a fix. We basically took inner tie rod steel shaft and hammered it threw top of tie rod and bolted it all back together.

We were back at it again. But I was nervous that it would fail and of course it did not. We got to mile 35 and both front and rear driveshaft bolts failed and we were dead again. Another racer towed us up to a flat spot. We had to use a small screw driver and hammer to work broken bolts out and then we put new caps on and put driveshaft back in. Tried to do same.to front with no luck. So we drove the next 13 miles in 2 wheel drive. That made it fun.

Then at mile 47.5 rear shaft failed again. So we fixed it again and made it back to pit 1 which is mile 48.

It was a long tough day but we had a blast.

Thanks to my co driver. Doug Johnson.

Have you had time to process those bolt failures? Once maybe. Multiple at both ends, odd. I know the diameter isn't much on that hardware. Where they beefed up with really good joints? The hardware being the fuse sucks. Super happy it was still a blast.

I have never watched any of the races until you guys went. I had a reason to tune in.
Thanks and now I wanna find a way to go or better yet get involved.

Have you had time to process those bolt failures? Once maybe. Multiple at both ends, odd. I know the diameter isn't much on that hardware. Where they beefed up with really good joints? The hardware being the fuse sucks. Super happy it was still a blast.

I have never watched any of the races until you guys went. I had a reason to tune in.
Thanks and now I wanna find a way to go or better yet get involved.
I will look at everything in detail when home in 4 days. We are now driving back across the country

Lessons learned, things you'd do differently? Can an XJ be reliable in the class, given the floorboard limitations and their impacts on shock size and length? What took out the shifter cable? Why so many track bar bolt failures? Are they failing, or simply falling out? Driveshaft bolt failures? Is that with strap yokes or full u-joints? Were the yokes binding at full droop, or getting damaged from rock impacts? Etc, etc....

Lessons learned, things you'd do differently? Can an XJ be reliable in the class, given the floorboard limitations and their impacts on shock size and length? What took out the shifter cable? Why so many track bar bolt failures? Are they failing, or simply falling out? Driveshaft bolt failures? Is that with strap yokes or full u-joints? Were the yokes binding at full droop, or getting damaged from rock impacts? Etc, etc....

yes and XJ can work well in the class..and if I have time and funds I plan to prove it.

The class is working on re writing a few rules to make the class more (equal) for all vehicles.. Yes an LJ or TJ would be better rig to start with for this class as you can do more with shocks etc.

what I found is the key is for best shocks with reservoir you can fit or afford and the strongest axles you can build or buy.. everything else is pretty much equal and goes a lot to the driver ability and vehicle prep.

shifter cable got taken out when front driveshaft bolts broke and driveshaft hit the cable and bent it.
track bar was due to the axle side bolt breaking or coming out.. we replaced with another bolt and had no issues.

driveshaft bolt failures were due to my tight time frame and me leaving u joint straps on instead of u bolt straps.. so they were the little 8mm bolts ( my bad on this one )

Back