"Take 92" - YJ Linked with Nines

How comfortable do you feel with the fuel cell in cab and kids in the back seat? I only ask because I am thinking about doin the same mod but makes me uneasy with my 2 year old back there strapped into a car seat!

That's why I bought a GenRight tank. They're pricey, but after you factor in the custom fuel pump, pickup, and lines, the fuel cell hold-down, the cost of the cell itself, etc... it was nearly a wash. And I don't have to unzip the top to get gas.

Also, seat belt cutters.

How comfortable do you feel with the fuel cell in cab and kids in the back seat? I only ask because I am thinking about doin the same mod but makes me uneasy with my 2 year old back there strapped into a car seat!

100% I am building a sealed cover for the fuel cell that will enclose the entire thing so when soft top is on and enclosed no smells into cab and no worries if something bad happens..

I do also have seat belt cutters in my jeep for anyone to use in any situation.. I have 2

yeah, what did you do for your fuel cell vent line?

the fuel cell has three lines.. 1 for main fuel line to engine, 1 for return line, and 1 for vent line.. all my lines go threw a hole next to fuel cell under jeep and connect to stock lines even the vent line connects to stock vent line canister. all lines are wrapped in a protective sheath so not to rip on an metal.

I am also adding a fuel filler neck that will go to crusher corner.. so once that is all connected and fuel cell cover is in place you wont even know there is a fuel cell there..

That's why I bought a GenRight tank. They're pricey, but after you factor in the custom fuel pump, pickup, and lines, the fuel cell hold-down, the cost of the cell itself, etc... it was nearly a wash. And I don't have to unzip the top to get gas.

Also, seat belt cutters.

main reason I did not go with genright is with this setup I can move my rear axle back another 12" if I wanted and still not hit the fuel cell.. cant do that with genright.. and since it seems, I can never leave anything alone I was thinking into the future..

Go with 115" WB, like that shop in OK used to do....

Been working on the trac bar.. got the passenger side done and installed.. also picked up all the new soft brake lines and some tube to finish trac bar.. hope to have all that on and done this weekend

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_5435.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_5436.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_5437.jpg

well like a lot of things it takes longer then planned.. had to travel for work a bunch with kept me out of the garage..

but I did get a little time tonight and got the rear brake lines done.
Thanks to @Cperry at ECGS for my new lines

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_5522.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_5520.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_5521.jpg

Finally did a little more work..

I needed to add a trac bar and I had some parts laying around so I built one with the parts I had and also picked a few to finish it off.. my trac bar is what you would say over kill.. 2" 1/4 wall tube with johnny joint and huge heim on other side..

to get the clearance I needed when flexed I had to cut frame and recess it some into frame. but it all clears by about 1/8" to 1/4" so we are good.

frame notched
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_5686.jpg

piece to fill notch
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_5684.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_5687.jpg

I did 3 weld passes to make sure it was good and strong on all sides
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_5691.jpg

trac bar in.. I now need to take it off smooth all the grind spots and paint then reinstall and one step closer to driving it
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_5694.jpg

small update but an important one.. I got the jeep to start and run last night after installing this new fuel system.. that was a relief

So I just wanted to stop in and say Damn! you do some awesome work. I am currently in Afghanistan and building my XJ (on paper for now) piece by piece. I always like to keep an eye on other peoples projects for inspiration and I have to say all of you build threads show an amazing level of creativity and devotion to perfection. Keep up the amazing work as it keeps me entertained and motivated to tackle mine when I get back!

So I just wanted to stop in and say Damn! you do some awesome work. I am currently in Afghanistan and building my XJ (on paper for now) piece by piece. I always like to keep an eye on other peoples projects for inspiration and I have to say all of you build threads show an amazing level of creativity and devotion to perfection. Keep up the amazing work as it keeps me entertained and motivated to tackle mine when I get back!

thanks..

but I also say Thank you for your service and allowing me to live free and do these projects because of you and others before you that have served.

Be safe over there

I can imagine it's nice to have something to keep your mind occupied. Always keep plans for what you'll do when you get home! It's a great way to keep a positive attitude!

@BRUISER lookin good! It's a big weight off your mind once you get a project to fire up! Now if you just make it turn, go forwards, go backwards, and stop....well...you'll pretty much be set.

@skyhighZJ stay safe and thanks! :usa:

Any updates? Really like this build.

Any updates? Really like this build.

I wish I could say yes.. but not really.. I am hoping to get back into the garage soon. but I have been way to busy with life to get into garage recently

Well I have been know to build things over kill and I guess you can say this is one of those times.. I did it because I had half the parts already so I figure why not save some money and make it even stronger. well then of course I screwed up and did not measure twice I guess because the dang trac bar was short.. so last night I cut it in half and made it longer.. atleast this part I will never have to worry about breaking on me :)

showing cut in half and the sluig and spacer I made
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_5857.jpg

spacer welded to sleeve
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_5859.jpg

showing how overkill this is
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_5858.jpg

all done just need to paint and install
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_5860.jpg

correct in that it will likely never fail, but it would likely be even more strong to have placed the slug near one end.

was going to but I was not 100% if I was going to smooth out welds or leave then and clearance is tight so the center was best option for clearance of other items on axle etc

correct in that it will likely never fail, but it would likely be even more strong to have placed the slug near one end.
Since its a two force member, and unlikely to see side loading due to external contact (since it's a panhard tucked above the axle) the only load case that it would matter is buckling... if you managed to get anywhere close to the buckling load for that tube you are doing some crazy shit.

I cut some holes for rear tail lights and also started on the fill neck for the fuel cell so we can fill it up from outside the jeep and not have to open the back every time

tail lights
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_5941.jpg

inside the tub hole for filler neck
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_5942.jpg

from outside
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_5943.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_5944.jpg

the last thing is I have been trying to decide on a rear fender.. just to help keep a little dirt out of the kids when they are riding in the back seats

so I held up the stock YJ fenders and I think I kind of like them.. what do you guys think?
I know lots have done TJ fenders or even tub fenders but I kind of like the idea of keeping the outside Yj..ish

flares on backwards to get an idea
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_5931.jpg

flares on correct
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_5937.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_5940.jpg

I like the flares!

Back