The future of cars

The average driver doesn't want to be engaged in the driving experience, they find it distracting!

This back when I was DDing my 4runner 5spd and had a 6spd truck. Coworkers just couldn't imagine driving a manual everyday and having to constantly think about what gear they needed to be in. I told them after driving the same vehicle for years it just becomes 2nd nature. Id love to have that 4runner back.

As much as I enjoy/prefer driving a stick, the skill is just not necessary, and becoming akin to having a manual choke or a spark advance lever... Just not needed anymore..
Its not necessary just like 500 hp isn't necessary.
But its fun. And getting where I'm going with a smile on my face is worth something.

This back when I was DDing my 4runner 5spd and had a 6spd truck. Coworkers just couldn't imagine driving a manual everyday and having to constantly think about what gear they needed to be in. I told them after driving the same vehicle for years it just becomes 2nd nature. Id love to have that 4runner back.
This is my son's fear, he's 17 and pretty conservative about driving.
"Dad you know how easily I'm distracted and how much I have to think about what I'm doing [he's right], there's no way I can do two things at once like that."
I ask him, "when you're doing that kinetic ninja stuff and jump from a beam a rope, or run up that wall and grab the top, do you think about what your hands are doing?
"No..."
"Pretty much the same."
"But why bother when you can just have the car shift for you?
"Why do you run and jump and climb walls when you could just take an elevator?"
"Oh."

"Dad you know how easily I'm distracted and how much I have to think about what I'm doing [he's right], there's no way I can do two things at once like that."
I ask him, "when you're doing that kinetic ninja stuff and jump from a beam a rope, or run up that wall and grab the top, do you think about what your hands are doing?
"No..."
"Pretty much the same."
"Oh."
That's awesome right there. Loved those kind of interactions when my boys were younger.

Side note: While researching a manual to put behind a 7.3 Godzilla yesterday I stumbled across a bronco build that is using the tremec 4050. Apparenlty in south america you can get a that manual in a ford.

If they would actually work to make traffic flow and reduce congestion, it would be much more effective than this pie in the sky BS.
You mean like encouraging mass transit instead of individual cummuting vehicles?
Thats the solution that solves multiple problems

but its like pissing in the wind to get americans to go for it

You mean like encouraging mass transit instead of individual cummuting vehicles?

Nah, that's gayass euro BS. A bus constantly stopping an entire lane of traffic to pick up or drop off 1 person isn't helping. Of course if they actually made a pulloff for the bus, that would help too. Or having light rail that is above or below ground instead of at street level.

My theory is city planners are pretty much all idiots, and civil engineers spend 4 years learning how to make sure everything they build is stable and doesnt move, so why should we be surprised when traffic is the same way ;)

Musk’s The Boring Company is working on a below ground multiple level solution for large cities. It involves individual pods or even transporting you and your own car at high speed.

Musk’s The Boring Company is working on a below ground multiple level solution for large cities. It involves individual pods or even transporting you and your own car at high speed.
Do you want demolition man? Because that's how you get demolition man.

Who's up for some taco bell?

3 shells? WTF

I'm guessing you've never had to depend on mass transit to commute to work. If you had, you'd know what a massive time sink it is and how it makes small trips very difficult.

"No..."
"Pretty much the same."
"Oh."

There is sound argument for that the manual will keep you more focused on the driving. Less prone to zone out in a manual than a auto. Also a manual wont allow as many driving destractions. Texting, eating, drinking. Etc.

I'm guessing you've never had to depend on mass transit to commute to work. If you had, you'd know what a massive time sink it is and how it makes all trips very difficult.
FIFY

That is only possible in big cities. There will never be a train or bus from stokesdale to Greensboro.

I'm guessing you've never had to depend on mass transit to commute to work. If you had, you'd know what a massive time sink it is and how it makes small trips very difficult.
thats in large part bc our current systems sucks, and the American living/housing style isn't very compatible with it.

I'm not saying I'd prefer it or enjoy it, or even be an adopter. But a large chunk of the world gets by on mass transit and has just made it part of the culture, and it is a solution,
I agree American lifestyle isn't compatible. Hence its a wind-pissing discussion.

There is sound argument for that the manual will keep you more focused on the driving. Less prone to zone out in a manual than a auto. Also a manual wont allow as many driving destractions. Texting, eating, drinking. Etc.
Oh it'll allow it, just takes more multitasking skills, at least from the eating and drinking stand point. Gone are the days of leaning your head over to hold the phone on your shoulder while shifting #nobluetoothhere

I have never wondered where it goes, but always wondered why it goes away so fast :burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

Back