The Mega Hauler

I was just referencing the white angle...no comment on the weld quality They were a great value.
Hey, when you have a bunch of free 2x2 angle, it's always the answer! :D

Hey, when you have a bunch of free 2x2 angle, it's always the answer! :D

And this is why I always have a few pieces in the truck. 2x2 will fix shit duct tape cant touch!

Did some work on this thing today. My guard dog wasn’t up to the task.

But I fixed some electrical gremlins which was due to bad grounds. That fixed flickering lights and bag EGT readings.

Then I messed with the exhaust brake. I took the whole thing off entirely and now realize there is just no saving this exhaust brake. I can’t get it to move much at all and it’s just a lost cause I believe. Bad things is the exhaust valve alone is nearly $1200.

I did take it for a test drive with the muffler off. I didn’t hate it, and it dropped the EGTs a bit. I think it would be tolerable if I just straight piped it and it exited further back behind the cab. But I may put a muffler on it, I’m undecided. I just know with the weight I will be carrying I really want the exhaust brake to work.
5D7D21CD-FDC6-4A83-AA35-617BA2CD74F3.jpeg
F0A19279-495D-4BDE-9643-036813728CB1.jpeg

Did some work on this thing today. My guard dog wasn’t up to the task.

But I fixed some electrical gremlins which was due to bad grounds. That fixed flickering lights and bag EGT readings.

Then I messed with the exhaust brake. I took the whole thing off entirely and now realize there is just no saving this exhaust brake. I can’t get it to move much at all and it’s just a lost cause I believe. Bad things is the exhaust valve alone is nearly $1200.

I did take it for a test drive with the muffler off. I didn’t hate it, and it dropped the EGTs a bit. I think it would be tolerable if I just straight piped it and it exited further back behind the cab. But I may put a muffler on it, I’m undecided. I just know with the weight I will be carrying I really want the exhaust brake to work. View attachment 378545View attachment 378546

I know my 6.0 is different but no muffler was awesome and sounded good until you drove 2 hours on the highway. It had a lot of drone.

I know my 6.0 is different but no muffler was awesome and sounded good until you drove 2 hours on the highway. It had a lot of drone.

Yeah that’s why I will most likely put a muffler on it

Is that muffler open straight through? If not, get yourself the longest 4ft ish Donaldson you can find and make sure it dumps well behind the cab and out to the side.

There's a dude I've seen on Facebook that parts out Duramax trucks. He might have one of those exhaust brakes if you want to check it out. Or maybe knows where you could get one.

Duramax Diesel Salvage

For those that like the bark of a "free flowing" exhaust, but can't stand the DRONE...
Once upon a time, had Fox body 5.0L GT "deleted" with Bassani Race-X & Mac's flowmaster 40 clones that droned so badly on the highway (at 1900-2100rpm), you couldn't hear *anything else*... absolutely HATED driving it.
Used a formula (cylinder count/"V" degree of separation/drone RPM) found on the Corral, had my exhaust artisan replicate these "1/4 wave tubes" for the RPM range... DIVINE!
ZERO drone and was so quiet inside, it made numerous other issues (rattles/suspension wear/etc.) painfully obvious...

I'd bet there's even a formula for Isuzu diesels 🤣

absolutely HATED driving it.
And we all hated you when you drove by too!

I'm not a fanbouy of any mfg...I love Mustangs (of a certain year) and I love corvettes (C2 & C7's) and even camaros (71-73 split bumper) but coyote mustangs with aftermarket exhaust sound like hammered ASS above 2000rpm. They resemble a 79 scottsdale with straight pipe glasspacks behind a tired ass 120hp tree fitty.

Just an awful......

Since that's a private forum....you may want to post the pics he has in the first few replies. For science :cool:

For those that like the bark of a "free flowing" exhaust, but can't stand the DRONE...
Once upon a time, had Fox body 5.0L GT "deleted" with Bassani Race-X & Mac's flowmaster 40 clones that droned so badly on the highway (at 1900-2100rpm), you couldn't hear *anything else*... absolutely HATED driving it.
Used a formula (cylinder count/"V" degree of separation/drone RPM) found on the Corral, had my exhaust artisan replicate these "1/4 wave tubes" for the RPM range... DIVINE!
ZERO drone and was so quiet inside, it made numerous other issues (rattles/suspension wear/etc.) painfully obvious...

I'd bet there's even a formula for Isuzu diesels 🤣
3", x-piped, one chamber Flows with dumps.
Ahh, the good old days of waking up @thebrotherinlaw every morning at 545 am while our gate opened

Since that's a private forum....you may want to post the pics he has in the first few replies. For science :cool:

Science... right 🤣

Well, add ME to list of 100% satisfied folks! Had a bud add a couple of 25" tubes to the mid-pipes today... TOTALLY squelched the 2000rpm drone that was making me crazy!

While it doesn't sound stock quiet, ALL the sound comes out the back. NO drone, NO resonance, NO nothing! So quiet inside, I can hear the fuelpump whine (may be next on list) and am able to make calls using the stereos BT connection... and folks on the other end can HEAR me, instead of "what's that noise?" or "WTH are you at?"
20131221_133747.jpg20131221_133716.jpg

So basically they made air chambers (arrestors) to absorb the "hammer"
Those pics are the implementation (perception?) on my '91 "Mullet GT" back in Dec. 2013... my "30+ years in the exhaust biz" artisan was floored by the results.
From that day forward, my ability to tolerate drone went to -100, given the simplicity and the millions of testimonials.

The spreadsheet (for ciphering the filter length)

But, you're correct about it being "science" because the Interwebs said so :D

Those pics are the implementation (perception?) on my '91 "Mullet GT" back in Dec. 2013... my "30+ years in the exhaust biz" artisan was floored by the results.
From that day forward, my ability to tolerate drone went to -100, given the simplicity and the millions of testimonials.

The spreadsheet (for ciphering the filter length)

But, you're correct about it being "science" because the Interwebs said so :D
This is some of that by golly "science of metals" stuff here.

And ugly as sin. It really fits.
Can't you see the look on the $15hr dude working in the pit of the quickie lube's face when he looks up and see's that configuration :laughing:

What does it to do to HP and TQ? I would think it would lower it some (maybe not noticeable) as the air is flowing to a dead end.
The air would always want to flow in the path of least resistance. Initially the pressure would fill the pipe, but since it isnt inline in the exhaust, it shouldnt restrict flow much, if at all. The resonator is basically creating an opposing sound wave to cancel out the frequency of the drone.

A number of manufacturers are using the same "science" to reduce engine noise in cars today. Ever noticed the crazy intake tubes on some cars these days (example below)? That is done to reduce the noise from the intake air. Some are even putting small speakers under the dash, that emit a frequency that cancels the one made by the engine at typical cruising speeds, or even all RPMs for that matter.

s-l300.jpg

What does it to do to HP and TQ? I would think it would lower it some (maybe not noticeable) as the air is flowing to a dead end.
My assumption was/is it doesn't do diddly for "performance"... BUT being able to talk (vs scream), not having your teeth resonate at the same drone freqs, or your vision blurring was definitely a plus :D

Back on track, today I ordered a new 4” Pac Brake, mounting kit with clamps, 3” to 4” adapter, and a Donaldson muffler.

The air compressor does not work, but I have a good SuperFlow 12V pump I’m going to replace it with and hope I don’t have any air leaks. Hopefully before I tow to Ivy Branch in a month I can have all of this installed and working, along with the underbody boxes, HD fan clutch and EFI live 40hp tow tune. Excited to see the difference it all makes.

I don't think there's anything wrong with your fan clutch, btw.

I don't think there's anything wrong with your fan clutch, btw.

I agree, it’s working like it’s supposed to but I’d much rather it come in a little earlier and avoid getting up to those temps. Especially since the new camper is almost twice the weight I’ve been towing and I assume an M&M 4 seater is going to weigh more than the rig I just sold.
I put the same clutch on my 8.1 and it made a huge difference.

Back