Time to build a shop of my own

^^^
I am doing something similar in my new shop. Welding, grinding, metal storage in one corner. That will be separated by my office/clean room. On the other side in the back corner will be my lift, tools, and automotive related stuff. On the other side of the shop running the whole length will be my machine shop equipment. Open space in the middle.

I should clarify that my heater is not wall mounted like a typical shop heater, just that it is mounted on the wall of my shop. It is just like a furnace that would be installed into a home. I built the stand to keep it up and out of the way. It utilizes pvc pipe for the vent.
E28A00F2-ADAD-40E1-8089-A99AEAB8EFF6.jpeg
70FDFD8F-C65D-4596-AE3F-7F7ADA406DDB.jpeg

Met with a grader/builder today. Walked the land and determined best placement for the shop with regard to drainage, run off, connecting to existing well, etc
He'll be sending me a rough quote in a week or so.
40x60x14 all steel
80x120 total pad (gravel outside shop concrete pad)
Land cleared, trees chipped abd brush burned
Driveway built with appropriate culverts
Plumbing roughed in
I provide final electrical

Pretty excited to see initial numbers returned

Last edited:
I think we should guess. Price is Right rules, I'll go first:

$63,872.91

I just got a pole barn quote. 40x60 with 2 14' lean-to. All concrete. No grading, no doors, gutters, or electrical. $74k. So my guess is $68,439.17

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

INCLUDING grading and culverts?

No idea what sort of cut/fill, nor gravel you're looking at, but based off size and concrete and what you've described before, north of $92,455

Met with a grader/builder today. Walked the land and determined beat placement for the shop with regard to drainage, run off, connecting to existing well, etc
He'll be sending me a rough quote in a week or so.
40x60x14 all steel
80x120 total pad (gravel outside shop concrete pad)
Land cleared, trees chipped abd brush burned
Driveway built with appropriate culverts
Plumbing roughed in
I provide final electrical

Pretty excited to see initial numbers returned
$70k for building
$10k for pad/grading
$5k for clearing
$10k for driveway (guessing it's 150-200ft long)
$3k for plumbing
So $98k total is my guess, based on almost no detailed information :D.

More deets:
Driveway will be cut through a mixed hardwood lot, approx 300' long
Concrete will be 4" throughout, 8" under where the lift will be.
Quarry is 4 miles away
Cash will be king on this project...

Depending on how much area you have finished inside for an office, electrical, plumbing, etc, I think you are looking at $85k minimum.

I mean, you are at least $10k into concrete alone. Building is prob. $45k installed, plus grading, architectural finishes inside, concrete, Elec, plumbing, hvac, gas, driveway, permitting/fees, etc.

94,600 Bob.
But wait, Red Iron or square tube carportish stuff?
Insulated? Wainscoat? And what type of doors?
All easily a 30k price swing.

when i built, the square foot cost for the building went down from 40x60 to 60x80. of course concrete doesn't get any cheaper. also, it is relatively cheap to go up. i know you are tall and a 14 foot wall is going to make for a short mezzanine or short upstairs, also 14 feet is really gonna limit a bridge crane, and you say no way now but you gotta have dreams. i built within a budget and i did not include height for a bridge crane and i regret it. crane may not be applicable to you, but general lesson of dont compromise now for things you will want later is. i also wish i had at least one door on opposing ends for breeze in the summer.

$82K

How much extra if I have living quarters framed in for wayward NC4X4 members who wanna come bike with me?
Is this shop gonna end up looking like Sierra Nevada Brewery? If so you need to add at least 3-4 zeros.

Well since you are in the industry...and I assume you are leveraging relationships... but thats offset by "Asheville"
I'll guess $75k.
Market price up there is probably 90k and it would cost me 55k down here...

Back