We Bought a RV Clark!! Oh no! Rebuild thread

Found some graffiti on my new walls!!!
That's ok...I can dig it!
20181122_221610.jpg

Went to lowes and bought a few more sheets of paneling. Same stuff I covered the booths with. So...how hard is it to hang a few sheets of paneling in an rv?

Meh...

First you gotta cut it down a little..then trace out the windows! Since there are no windows in place, this makes it an easy task to cut out nice pretty window holes.
20181124_151029.jpg
then..you should test fit every piece!
20181124_153813.jpg
20181124_162304.jpg

Dylan, this is one of the best "play by play" build threads I've seen in a while. LOVE the fact that you waited to post the start so we don't lose interest or forget about it. You've done a great job on the presentation.

Now...as for the manual labor: Dang son!! What an overwhelming task! Many would have chalked it up as a very bad investment, gone back to the owner and pitched a hissy. Instead, you put on your big girl panties and busted ass.

Mad respect!

Yeah I don’t have the time, resources, or know how to fix that so I’d be pretty sore and out for my money. Glad you can fix it, and following this is super interesting.
It will be better than factory when you’re done. Amazing how cheaply they slap them things together and send them out for sale.

Dylan, this is one of the best "play by play" build threads I've seen in a while. LOVE the fact that you waited to post the start so we don't lose interest or forget about it. You've done a great job on the presentation.

Now...as for the manual labor: Dang son!! What an overwhelming task! Many would have chalked it up as a very bad investment, gone back to the owner and pitched a hissy. Instead, you put on your big girl panties and busted ass.

Mad respect!
Thanks Troy! Hearing things like this help motivate me!

As for pitching hissies .... If anything, I should kick my own ass. After all, I bought this thing in the daylight, eyes wide open. This is all on me bro....and Brooke o_O { lest we forget she's part to blame}:lol:

Yeah I don’t have the time, resources, or know how to fix that so I’d be pretty sore and out for my money. Glad you can fix it, and following this is super interesting.
It will be better than factory when you’re done. Amazing how cheaply they slap them things together and send them out for sale.
Thanks Phillip. I didnt have the know how either. I've been learning how, and figuring it out this entire time.

With the side walls mostly finished, We decided to try to get some panels mounted.
This part has been keeping me up at night. This is where the rubber meets the road. Gotta try to get this part right. I'm worried!

Started of by cleaning the sheetmetal on the cab. Gotta make sure the new seals stick well. I'm using a special rubber gasket and butyl tape to try to seal it all up. A little acetone cleaned it up good.
20181127_105728.jpg

Next I applied the butyl tape. The side panels fit so tight, I'm worried the rubber gasket wont fit. I hope the butyl tape doesn't get mashed out too.
20181127_110242.jpg

Getting the passengers side panel in and lined up. This process requires patience, a short length of 2×4, a 2lb sledge hammer, a couple buddies, and a bunch of cuss words.
20181127_111059.jpg
20181127_111334.jpg

Almost forgot to leave room for the under panel..or, as we've been referring to it as Ella's bedroom floor. This little tester piece will work.
20181127_112623.jpg

Last edited:
After a good battle...looks good! Let's screw it ! Wheres the countersink bit? Hell if I know...look in the tire!....(it disappeared moments after I moved the rv forward a few feet to level it some. We used a large drill bit and rocked on.
20181127_113236.jpg
20181127_113225.jpg

Hey I found a black mamba snake!
20181127_131218.jpg
kidding...we had to get the panel in place first, then we were able to pry it apart enough to get the rubber gasket in place. The panel gets screwed to the back of the cab which compresses the butyl tape and rubber gasket. This should be fairly flexible and should work well to keep the outside out.
Top gasket gets sandwiched between top of side panel and underside of upper panel.
20181127_142443.jpg

Back