What are you having for dinner?

Homemade Italian meatballs with tomato sauce.

20180228_183804.jpg

Wedge salad with half a tomato and some random organic all natural Italian dressing.
:(

It’s OK. Summer is coming and it’s time to get rid of this husky gut. :lol:

Did you fry the plantains? If so, give me details because i i love the damn things.
Start with green plantains, cut in about 1 1/2" pieces. Fry them for about 3-4 minutes...not cooked, just softer. Rinse in cold water. If you don't have a plaintain press, use a craft paper bag...stand em up and smash em flat. Back in the oil for a few minutes on each side to fully cook. Sprinkle with coarse salt and you're there. Tostones! Cuban food is one of the few things I took from Miami when I left!

Start with green plantains, cut in about 1 1/2" pieces. Fry them for about 3-4 minutes...not cooked, just softer. Rinse in cold water. If you don't have a plaintain press, use a craft paper bag...stand em up and smash em flat. Back in the oil for a few minutes on each side to fully cook. Sprinkle with coarse salt and you're there. Tostones! Cuban food is one of the few things I took from Miami when I left!

So when you initially fry them, before you smash 'em, do yo fry them standing up or laying on their sides like a log?

So when you initially fry them, before you smash 'em, do yo fry them standing up or laying on their sides like a log?
It depends on how you fry them. I use a cast-iron Dutch oven with about 2 and 1/2 in of oil. Just enough to cover them if they are laying down. If you just pan fry then in less oil do them on the cut sides and then rotate them 180 degrees and cook longer

Last edited:
It depends on how you fry them. I use a cast-iron Dutch oven with about 2 and 1/2 in of oil. Just enough to cover them if they are laying down. If you just hand fry then in less oil do them on the cut sides and then rotate them 180 degrees and cook longer

Thanks! I'm going to give that a try!

Let's have a cook off between @Paul and @92_SquareEye! The best part is everybody wins!

Shameless Plug: If any of y'all are bbq fans, I'll be cooking in the 13th Annual Carolina Masonic Pig Jig on Sat May 19th at the State Fair Grounds. 25+ teams from the tri-state area will each be cooking a whole hog, some birds and several butts...complete with all the fixins. All you can eat for your tax deductible donation of $15 ($5 kids 7-10; under 6 for free) with 100% of all proceeds going directly to the Masonic Home for Children at Oxford and the Central Children’s Home of North Carolina. This coincides with the Got To Be NC fest, also at the fairgrounds. Would love to feed ya'll....

Back