What have you done to your rig today?

Pulled the lower radiator hose off to drain all the water out of the system before the freeze last night. Got coolant on standby to go back in. Hoping to get going back on the Willys in a week or so.

Bought a set of tires, so I can finally get the bronco home and out of the way of the 96 so I can get that out of storage too...

58B6D258-463B-42C4-A259-019D984CA302.jpeg

Unbolted the stock CUCV bumper, bolted on the Warn Classic, and mounted up the Warn M12000 that I traded @RKBJR an 8274 for. Going to order a new solenoid pack cover, remote socket, and remote. Might wind up with 200 bucks in an M12000. Darn.

Probably going to drill a third mount hole on each bracket so it'll have six ½", grade 8 bolts holding it to the truck. Still need to bend the bumper braces a little and bolt those on and going to notch the face of the bumper just outside of the winch cradle and add some shackle mounts. Oh, and thinking about adapting the grille guard from the CUCV bumper if it'll work out. I think it'd look good.

20201130_234007.jpg

20201130_234024.jpg

20201130_234112.jpg

Pulled the NV3550 out of my ‘04 Rubicon for a new clutch kit and flywheel. Nothing major to report there, but this HF transmission jack is awesome. Soooo much easier than trying to use a floor jack (or an engine hoist from the top). Very pleased with it.

9dd6c1b2fc2d80c02acf0919e28ba5ff.jpg

Also splurged and bought myself an over-priced ratchet. First Snap On ratchet that I’ve owned and I have to say, it’s very nice. The additional leverage and flexible head really made removing the bell housing bolts much easier.

e58cb13772d68523d865f73bd6d4389d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pulled the NV3550 out of my ‘04 Rubicon for a new clutch kit and flywheel. Nothing major to report there, but this HF transmission jack is awesome. Soooo much easier than trying to use a floor jack (or an engine hoist from the top). Very pleased with it.

9dd6c1b2fc2d80c02acf0919e28ba5ff.jpg

Also splurged and bought myself an over-priced ratchet. First Snap On ratchet that I’ve owned and I have to say, it’s very nice. The additional leverage and flexible head really made removing the bell housing bolts much easier.

e58cb13772d68523d865f73bd6d4389d.jpg

Buddy of mine gave me a regular snap on 3/8 ratchet about 5 years ago. I don't know how many teeth that thing has but it's a ton. I never knew what I was missing until he gave it to me.

I think they're up to 80 teeth now...maybe more?

According to their marketing, their ratchets have 80 teeth. I counted the clicks on my Craftsman ratchet and came up with about 40. Definitely makes a difference in tight spaces.

I changed the oil and fuel filter in my CUCV last Friday for the first time in just over 4 years. Figured it couldn't hurt. I then realized I was just over 4 years in my 99 Silverado and it must have started to break down or had a little much fuel dilution because it had gotten to where it was only holding 40 lbs of oil pressure while running down the road and about 30 at hot idle. It's ALWAYS been 40 at hot idle and 60 at basically anything above idle. Figured I'd try some Amsoil 10w30 Signature Series this time and see if it did a better job at not getting sucked up through the PCV system vs the usual Mobil1 10w30. We'll see, but an oil change definitely fixed the pressure issue. It got a fuel filter as well.

Of course, after the oil change, the "Check engine oil level" light is staying on. It's likely just stuck or gummed up. It got 6 qts and read just fine on the dipstick, so eff it!

Here's some pics of underneath the truck, just because. You can see the original NV3500 (205,350 miles on it!) with a Spec Stage 2.5 clutch nestled in there, the Pacesetter 1⅞ longtube headers, the NP241 that has a JB Conversions SYE with a modified NP205 1410 rear yoke, a Carolina Driveline 1410 rear shaft leading back to an AAM 11.5 with 4.10s and a Yukon Grizzly, 3" exhaust with DynoMax Ultra-Flo Welded muffler that has an internal X-pipe, up front the 79 Ford 60 which houses 4.10s and a Lock Right. It's a solid setup that works well!

20201208_230659.jpg

20201208_230710.jpg

20201208_230727.jpg

20201208_230742.jpg

20201208_230753.jpg

It hasn't missed a beat. I drive the hell out of that truck every time I get in it. I think it weighs right at 6000 lbs too.

Winch didn’t work last ride. Replaced all 4 solenoids today. Hook the battery up to test it. Won’t spool in. Damn. Hit the spool out button and that works, but when I let off the button, it wouldn’t stop! Shit! Unhook the battery quickly. WTH?
Upon closer inspection, the lock washers that came with the new solenoids put the nuts too high on the control circuit, and they were touching the bus bars. Remove all lock washers. Add a washer under bus bars for good measure and clearance, and it works great now. Respooled the cable to make it pretty.

Got my friends CJ-8 up and going again, been sitting for a year, battery cable, starter, then it was on! His son is 13 and wanted to drive it, we turned him lose in the 8 with 39.5 i-rocs and tons, 4 speed manual, and an atlas, then my toyota sas with twin cases ceramic clutch and 5 speed, then in my CJ 7 with a 3 speed, then in a T-100 with a 5 speed! He ran the first 2 out of gas (we didn't care), there were a few stales and grinding of gears, no shits given! It was a good day!

Mars Fab should be done with my Ranger this week sometime. So to be ready, tonight I installed a Curt gooseneck hitch in my new 3500 in preparation.
Also snagged doors, hood and fenders for it too. I'll grab them next weekend sometime.

Did you get a truck without the factory hitch on purpose, or just happened that the truck you found didn't have it?

Duane

Did you get a truck without the factory hitch on purpose, or just happened that the truck you found didn't have it?

Duane
I wanted one with the OEM GN kit. But I couldn't find one anywhere remotely close with one optioned how I wanted. Lots of short bed trucks with them and duallies too.
I wanted 3500, Aisin, LWB tradesman. They're somewhat difficult to locate.
In the end, the GN was like $500 and 2.5 hours of my time. So no biggie

Back